edited September 2014 in Strut Central
13 years since Drukqs

Thoughts? Impressions? Feelings?

Discuss

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    only listened to it twice but so far :feelin_it:

b/w

when teh journalists write in their articles that it's been 13 years since Drukqs, are they just willfully ignoring all the stuff he's put out under different names during the interim?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    xmas eve is a stunner

• kala said:
    xmas eve is a stunner

Haven't had a chance to take in the whole album yet but definitely was lingering on this tune -

I did also enjoy the design of the web feature Pitchfork had on Richard D.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

listening and relistening - it seems a bit all too easy to access at first - but then, it keeps hitting you with all these little layered flashbacks of evolving electronic music - like raves you went to bitd - drum and bass tunes - even some shades of 80s electro - its very nostalgic in a way - folding in on an old genre for a bit, then unfolding into its own sound again - dips into everything and remains cohesive . its striking me as a very very good album i must say - got me catching mad flashbacks and feelings and schitttt

• Staxwax, I agree with your assessment. Before I listened to this for the first time, I cleared my mind, cracked my knuckles and said "let's hear what Aphex Twin has to say about electronic music in 2014" . What Then followed was a layered journey through everything Mr. James understands about everything he's done so far. That's not to say there's nothing new here. What's new is the way the songs build and morph. But it definitely made me also want to revisit my favorite Autechre records and even BOC, Plaid, and whatever other groups made that "Warp" sound so appealing. It almost feels like the tidy bow you use to wrap up every sonic gift you've given. The summation of everything you have to say. All the sounds and rythyms you're able to offer thoughtfully strung together in an expansive reflection on your own back catalogue. Not necessarily "new" but possibly perfect?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    kala said:
    xmas eve is a stunner

syro trakk is sikk 2

sad i did not get picked for limited edition vinylz

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    that gear list is sick
    awesome to think that it was all done with hardware
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1S3FoD2h2fa7UDU5Q-yVmdTnaLmAA2nNaE1kl6S9GnEU/pubhtml

my only minor quip is that the drums on most of the tracks are a bit same-ish but it's not a big deal and he redeems himself at the end with earthportal mix

I've given it a few more listens and one thing I really like is that this feels much more like an album from start to finish than most of his previous work. He always used to put some crazy abrasive track in the middle of his albums, or bounced around between those bonkers drum programming songs and the more chill ones, but here it's just a well sequenced set of good tunes that seem to build on each other.

but the real question is:
    CAN U GLOSTICK TO IT?

I believe the answer is a definitive "yes."

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Haven't had time to give it a proper listen, but...

That xmas jawn is ill same with s950tx16wasr10.

I really Aisatsana. Type of track that makes me content and thankful, for some reason.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    my copy finally came in the mail yesterday - i listened to the first half last night and loved every track. some stunning bars...

not sure how the rest of the album will play out, but i kept thinking of it being on the same level/vibe as 'feed me weird things' as far as IDM albumz go.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    That Aphex Soundcloud unreleased/demo drop, in its entirety and at 320kbps.

DocMcCoy said:
    That Aphex Soundcloud unreleased/demo drop, in its entirety and at 320kbps.

not sure the link works! [acutally, it worked once I copied the url from your post, not when I clicked on the link]

I only found out about this yesterday. Maybe a week ago I had seen post a soundcloud link to a new Aphex Twin track and I thought "that's cool, he put out one more track." Little did I know...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    not sure the link works! [acutally, it worked once I copied the url from your post, not when I clicked on the link]

Doesn't work for me. Are these the modular tracks that were put up on SC when the noyzelab interview was published? Been looking for those.

Re: Syro, yeah, xmas eve is my fave too. That's a beast of a track. When it switches to druggy dub percussion mode in the last third – goosebumps.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    there is so much amazing stuff in the soundcloud "EVENT"
    THANK YOU RICHARD............

fuuuuck this is a shit ton of music. 8.6 hours of it, according to itunes. This is like when a friend just handed me all of the Analord tracks at once, and I'm still making my way through those.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

All those years he said in interviews that he had loads of unreleased material, and I thought he might be bullshitting.

DocMcCoy said:

copy+paste works

His new LP is interesting too, and I think the rumours are he has more albums to drop.

• Is it taking all day to download this for others?
    I'm not sure what's up with Mega.
    Is there a faster way?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Got it. Thanks, doc. Some good stuff in there.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    here is all of it at 320
    https://kickass.so/user48736353001-t10159996.html
    also heard from a reliable source that there are hundreds more ready to be posted .....soon
    hoping it includes more drugks stuff

• thanks, i got it all now.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    it started again
    ;-)

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

DJ Food vs Aphex Twin:

Unless you've been living under a rock recently you'll have heard the news that Aphex Twin unexpectedly uploaded 155 of his old and unreleased tracks to Soundcloud and made them downloadable for free. Starting from his earliest demos through to known live tracks, later jungle experiments and beyond, this is the motherlode that his fans have always wanted. DJ Food, a long-time Aphex fan, has been through the entire collection with a fine-toothed comb and selected his favourites for the first half of the show this week. The hit rate was high but he's has managed to cram 31 tracks into 85 minutes to mark this unique occasion and peppered the mix with vintage interview clips of Richard James talking about his music.

More unreleased Aphex Twin up on his soundcloud:

I remember when the rumours first surfaced that Aphex Twin had claimed he had enough unreleased material sitting at home to make several albums, and it kind of sounded like the boast of an eccentric recluse that would probably never amount to anything, and as his recent output had dropped off in quantity and perhaps quality, I also suppose it was wishful thinking that he wasn't just bullshitting.
    He wasn't just bullshitting.
    Been listening to that DJ Food aphex mix, and there's some excellent music in it.

Only Aphex can have shit like this sitting around unreleased:

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    Just piping in to say that I am loving this little release from the last couple of months:

http://www.discogs.com/Aphex-Twin-Computer-Controlled-Acoustic-Instruments-Pt2-EP/master/785340

There's no recommended rpm/speed - your meant to choose your own adventure. Like, I'm finding that some tracks sound particularly dope at 33rpm/+8.

From Aphex:

“Im VERY happy to report that ive found loads more old tapes i never encoded or gave to anybody, been looking a lot on / off last few months and found around 7 tapes, most of which have 20+ tracks )) Will upload/release soonish”

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    yea!

but when do we get the fastest bits rich?