Dreams about records

DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,777 Posts
edited September 2014 in Strut Central
This always happens to me when I'm away from my collection. Record shopping dreams, dreams about putting a record on etc.
Last night I dreamt that I was in a record shop, found a decent single by T++ (! he's always too minimal for me), and a grey/silver record on Stones Throw with black embossed lettering by the same guy who did J-Rocc's LP that was an MF Doom & Sadat X collab called The Legend Of Quick-Draw McRaw. When I took it to the counter the guy gave me a figurine of a Devil with a bayonetted machine gun that came free with every purchase and I was already thinking *ebay*.
I woke up wanting to crack the cellophane, give it a listen and check the liner notes for the producer.

Anyone else dream about non-existent records?

Comments

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    That is a very detailed dream! I've had dreams where I play records, but that's about it.

b/w

Every time I'm driving a car in my dreams, it is always manual transmission. I've only ever driven a manual once in my life.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    When I dream of digging, I find amazing records, put them aside for purchase as I continue to look through the crates, and then I go into a slight panic as the records I picked out magically disappear from where I placed them. Happens every time.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    When I dream of digging, I find amazing records, put them aside for purchase as I continue to look through the crates, and then I go into a slight panic as the records I picked out magically disappear from where I placed them. Happens every time.

Happens to me in real life.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    What I love about record shopping dreams is flipping through the crates and seeing the artwork.

There's something about your brain that won't let you see the same image twice so when you're dreaming every time you go through a bunch of records your brain makes up new artwork for every single record you pick up. Just try it.

• the dreams i have about records involve me being at someone elses house looking through there collection that seems to be double or triple the size of my collection and just pulling dope record after dope record...

i dont dream very often and remember them if i do dream...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,883 Posts
    I always pull ungoogleable 80s fusion/fuzak albums and check the back for the musicians. It's all there; Marcus Miller, Ralph McDonald, Steve Gadd, Tawatha Agee, Richard Tee, Michael Boddicker, Paulinho Da Costa... even the WB logo and Ôäù1981 smallprint.

Covers are always abstract skylines or dudes getting onto planes in Foster Grants and such.

• I was really into Bjork in high school and I had a dream that I found an early collaboration between her and Minor Threat. It was so real that I was confused the next day.

For all the skaters, I dreamt I learned pressure flips (this was when they first came out) and it was so real that I didn't realize it was a dream until I attempted one and failed. I was bummed.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,079 Posts
    I've had some wild lucid dreams but nothing exclusively about records. Although recently I had one where at some point that I was traveling down an empty corridor (a la Shining/Doom/Wolfenstein 3D...) before Leroy Hutson's huge spinning head was floating in the center room with prosthetic arms holding a giant potato akin to the motif for the "Love Oh Love" cover. I jumped in his mouth Double Dare obstacle course style and wound up in an small airplane. I don't remember anything else about that one, unfortunately.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    A couple of weeks ago I dreamed about finding a drug themed German "H├Ârspiel" record called "Coki" that came with a flexi disc with two tracks of nothing but the best psychedelic rock. I was bummed when I woke up...

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,777 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    I always pull ungoogleable 80s fusion/fuzak albums and check the back for the musicians. It's all there;

• leonleon 883 Posts
    [quote author="Electrode"

Leroy Hutson's huge spinning head was floating, with prosthetic arms holding a giant potato akin to the motif for the "Love Oh Love" cover..

Someone make this a :graemlin: please

• Back in the early 90s when I started digging, I was obsessed by the Black Jazz label and it's enigmatic black and white covers with the odd faces staring out of them. In those pre-net days each new discovery really was a discovery and I started dreaming up the covers to fill in the blanks in the discography that I hadn't yet found. Henry Frankilin invited me to his home for BBQ, and Cavlin keys showed me his double bass (??) with varitone gadget rigged to itÔǪ. it all got pretty weird.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,883 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    I dreamt I learned pressure flips (this was when they first came out) and it was so real that I didn't realize it was a dream until I attempted one and failed. I was bummed.

It was the same for me with being able to float above the ground.

I REMAIN GUTTED.

• I can do amazing wall-rides (Natas style) in dreams and always wake with disappointment.

record-wise, I often find massive dusty basement mother-lodes, à la the DJ Shadow scene in 'Scratch'.
    and again... wake with disappointment.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Combing through 2002 threads.

Subject: DAMN!IT WAS JUST A DREAM!

EVER DREAM THAT YOU WERE IN A WHAREHOUSE FULL OF RECORDS? TO THEN WAKE UP AND REALIZE IT WAS ONLY A DREAM. I HAVE HAD TWO LIKE THAT. MAN! IT FELT SO REAL TO ME. THE THING I HATE ABOUT IT IS THAT I WOULD ALWAYS FIND RARE HEAT. AND EVERYTIME I WOULD HAVE ONE OF THESE DREAMS,THE PLACE WOULD BE WALL TO WALL RECORDS. SORRY IF THIS SOUNDS WEIRD BUT I'M JUST TRYING TO SEE IF ANYBODY ELSE IN HERE HAD A SIMILIAR ONE.

I just had a dream last nite, where I was stealing some crates and records that were left in a stairwell, behind some antique store. I was scrambling because I thought the owners were gonna come any second, and I couldn't carry everything. So I was flipping through the records as fast as I could. I can't remember the titles, but I took 3 crates and a small stack of records. What does it all mean?

vandalism at the bus barn=no school for me!
    yeah, i have dreams like that all the time. I dreamt that I went to some record store and every record i saw was one i wanted...then i woke up after finding that one egg LP with fugue in d minor on it. damn.

I had a nightmare about not being able to find the caps lock key.

I once had a dream I was at my old sleepaway camp and I walked into this wooden building and inside was a huge funk record museum.
    There should be a real one, where all the records are kept in sealed glass cases in individually lit cubbies, complete with informational blurbs and a button you could press to hear the song.
    Yes, I'm a dork.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Who was writing in all caps?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Who was writing in all caps?

DJSTYLES