What is Modern Soul?

2»

Comments

• leonleon 883 Posts
    batmon said:
    ost said:

To me it boils down to Soul music from roughly '75 to '81 that's more polished than the '60's & '70's classic sound from Motown, Stax, Hi, etc... Essentially, I would describe it as Disco era Soul music. Anything past that is either Boogie, Funk, or 80's R&B

Alright. Clarity.

That would be my definition too.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    leon said:
    batmon said:
    ost said:

To me it boils down to Soul music from roughly '75 to '81 that's more polished than the '60's & '70's classic sound from Motown, Stax, Hi, etc... Essentially, I would describe it as Disco era Soul music. Anything past that is either Boogie, Funk, or 80's R&B

Alright. Clarity.

I agree as well. The term "modern soul" comes from the nothern soul scene. Northern soul is upbeat 60s soul music inspired by the Motown sound. Modern soul was the new sound that emerged in the 70s. It was a new sound that had been developed, but it was still upbeat so people could dance to it. It was pre disco, but it can sometimes be hard to distinguish from disco. In addition to northern and modern soul, there is also crossover soul, which is that transitional phase (probably '69 to early 70s) where a sound emerged that cannot be defined as either northern or modern soul.

Northern soul

Crossover soul

Modern soul

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    where guzzo/dabney at ?
    he not all up in this batch?

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    skel said:
    wacko Jacko.
    YU SOUND BRITISH LIMEY.......ooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIiiiii

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    GamleOle said:
    leon said:
    batmon said:
    ost said:

Alright. Clarity.

I agree as well. The term "modern soul" comes from the nothern soul scene. Northern soul is upbeat 60s soul music inspired by the Motown sound. Modern soul was the new sound that emerged in the 70s. It was a new sound that had been developed, but it was still upbeat so people could dance to it. It was pre disco, but it can sometimes be hard to distinguish from disco. In addition to northern and modern soul, there is also crossover soul, which is that transitional phase (probably '69 to early 70s) where a sound emerged that cannot be defined as either northern or modern soul.

What year do u have Disco starting? Cause Girl You Need A Change of Mind is 1972.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    I always disliked this term and never knew why it bugged me, until now...

soulcitizen said:

The modern soul scene in the UK

people have made up over the years,

that IS what happens at modern soul events in the UK.

stuff british dudes say

not my preferred or relatable way of classifying shit i grew up on in the US on black radio, personally. no offense, (offence)

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Deegreez said:
    I always disliked this term and never knew why it bugged me, until now...

soulcitizen said:

The modern soul scene in the UK

people have made up over the years,

that IS what happens at modern soul events in the UK.

M

stuff british dudes say

not my preferred or relatable way of classifying shit i grew up on in the US on black radio, personally. no offense, (offence)

Lol at u catching feelings on this shit.
    You have no clue, step out of the game

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Apologies, that was harsh and unnecessary
    In my defence, I was extremely drunk at time of posting

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    On a school night, an' all... :smh:

There's a thread for that.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    batmon said:
    GamleOle said:
    leon said:
    batmon said:
    ost said:

Alright. Clarity.

What year do u have Disco starting? Cause Girl You Need A Change of Mind is 1972.

You have point. It's probably not correct to say that modern soul predated disco. I was a bit too quik there. But I think the soul sound was more prevailing in the mid 70s, whereas disco became increasingly popular toward the late 70s. Some of the soul artists of the 70s swtiched to disco in the late 70s. In some cases, I think modern soul and disco can be difficult to distinguish. I often see certain albums refered to as both modern soul and disco because they seem to contain elements from both categories. But then again, in other cases, they are easy to distinguish.

batmon said:
    GamleOle said:
    leon said:
    batmon said:
    ost said:

Alright. Clarity.

You have point. It's probably not correct to say that modern soul predated disco. I was a bit too quik there. But I think the soul sound was more prevailing in the mid 70s, whereas disco became increasingly popular toward the late 70s. Some of the soul artists of the 70s swtiched to disco in the late 70s. In some cases, I think modern soul and disco can be difficult to distinguish. I often see certain albums refered to as both modern soul and disco because they seem to contain elements from both categories. But then again, in other cases, they are easy to distinguish.

Soul wasnt the more prevailing sound in 1975(mid 70s). Soul was running alongside Disco tracks.
    By 1977 - Saturday Night Fever. U cant tell me a Hollywood film about white kids was at the center of the movement.
    Disco Demo Night is 1979.
    Disco was on a poppin' before the late 70's.

1974 - Boogie Down, Do It Till Your Satisfied, Rock Your Baby, Hollywood Swingin', and Dancin' Machine were #1s.

1975 - You're the First, the Last, My Everything, Lady Marmalade, Shame, Shame, Shame, Express, What Am I Gonna Do With You, The Hustle, Get Down Tonight, Fly, Robin, Fly, That's the Way (I Like It), I Love Music, and Love Rollercoaster - #1s.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    so after the ron G/puffy version of r&b, neo soul... and then what? everything IS post -blahblah IMO, but what are the signifers of post-modern soul? is it the sound of, shudder, "indie" soul music? did boi-1da and 40 usher in the new sound via drake?

• where does Tashan fit into all of this?
    i know 'read my mind' was considered r&b in '86 but remember thinking it was very er.modern soul sounding. tougher than luther / alexander but more soulful than bobby brown / oran juice jones and those cats

SIRUS said:
    so after the ron G/puffy version of r&b, neo soul... and then what? everything IS post -blahblah IMO, but what are the signifers of post-modern soul? is it the sound of, shudder, "indie" soul music? did boi-1da and 40 usher in the new sound via drake?

Post-Modern Soul┬®/ Trenchcoat Soul┬« is that transitional zone from mid-80s to early 90's before/during New Jack Swing took over.
    R&B artists still keeping it somewhat "traditional/classic".

There's a whole Fantasy thread on it.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    batmon said:
    SIRUS said:

Post-Modern Soul┬®/ Trenchcoat Soul┬« is that transitional zone from mid-80s to early 90's before/during New Jack Swing took over.

ah, ok got it. then ledisi is most def post modern soul. like breaks never happened.

SIRUS said:
    batmon said:
    SIRUS said:

ah, ok got it. then ledisi is most def post modern soul. like breaks never happened.

Well Post-Modern in these sense of what those dudes were sayin that there are Soul examples still being done.
    Ledisi comes outta Neo-Soul, but that beat is straight Mary J Blige Hip Hop Soul.
    ..so its really just Contemporary R&B, but one could Curate that shit into some loosely based idea that began in the early 70's I guess.

To me once breaks get introduced ala Hip Hop Soul Or Neo-Soul it aint really Modern or Post-Mod no more.
    There are too many newer elements and production styles where the Soul is too transformed to be still categorized as the same as Hi Records.

• Try again after posting in the wrong thread doh!................... As I was saying...........

Well I hate to come over all ENGLISH on you guys ;)

But Ledisi and Tashan are definitely moddun soul in the UK, Tashan did many live p.a.'s at moddun events, and Ledisi,tracks are played out at events and on the radio slots. Post-modern is not even on the radar as a 'category', still modern.

I had fun checking your site out.

• thanks batmon, like this forum it's the members that make it, hope you find something to enjoy through it

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    eras:
    disco: ~'76~'80
    modern soul ~'77-'82ish
    boogie maybe '81-'86?

main feature:
    disco: four on the floor
    modern soul = vocals, smooth beat
    boogie = rhythm, funky beat, squiggly keytars

Key buyers
    Disco: French, NYC people
    Modern: French, Brits
    Boogie: French, party DJs

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    The Soul that does not sound Northern, "Motown", Disco or Boogie.

:gif of Minnie Ripperton mimicking that Mexican wrestler, saying "This is not a Robbery thing. Nor is this a Northern, Motown, Disco or Boogie Thing.":

• HarveyCanal said:
    WELL I NEVER! I thought you were going to play 60's Sissy Strut Meters, but you are playing 70's Just Kissed My Baby Meters. YOU SIR, HAVE RUINED MY NIGHT!

LOL! Naah, I'd compare it to expecting "Funky Granny" but instead getting "Celebrate."

Both by Kool & the Gang and separated by something like eight or nine years.