records..same OG collection, found different spots

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
how often does this happen to you? youll get a record at one place, and then get another somewhere completely different, but both were clearly in the same collection at one point in time? ive heard about almost legendary former collections, where people constantly find heat with the same name written on it around town (seems like there was something like that in california or something)

anyway, case in point:

i got the record on the left today at a record show, found the one on the right at a flea market out of town...but these labels lead me to believe these records were together somewhere along the line...:

IMG src=http://www.boomspeed.com/fannywagon/stickorz.jpg>

(by the way, im wondering why they have albums that certainly werent designed for it labeled as production music...haha)

P.S. guess the record on the right correctly and you might win a PRIZE

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    how often does this happen to you? youll get a record at one place, and then get another somewhere completely different, but both were clearly in the same collection at one point in time? ive heard about almost legendary former collections, where people constantly find heat with the same name written on it around town (seems like there was something like that in california or something)

I've picked up Will Finney's records at a few different spots around the Cleveland area. He drew a little "WF" emblem in marker on most of the covers of his records.

I also have picked up random 12s at various locations that have been liberated from WOBC's (Oberlin College) collection.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Graf you in Oberlin? Got fam out there.

Collegiate peeps? I think those are the only folks out there.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah they work at the college.

Yeah they work at the college.

How is it? I've actually never been there. Supposedly it's some sort of uber-collegiate wonderland... ?

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Oberlin is dope. Small college town very liberal. Good times though when I went through there.

Oberlin is dope. Small college town very liberal. Good times though when I went through there.

Yeah, so I hear, but yet I have this nagging feeling it's a bunch of neo-hippies in a cornfield.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Major stop in the Underground Railroad. Lot of history there.

• eetzeetz 53 Posts
    Ask anyone in michigan about "Sweeney." I think everyone has a peice of Sweeney's collection. Black marker across the front of the album...

• r. manpower in florida, anyone? orlando/melbourne area?
    every time ive been down there ive caught some of that manpower heat

rap79? you seen these?

then there was some institutionalized dude around philly who wrote his name in cursive all over the cover, in the inside jacket (the cardboard part and on the inner sleeve. very thorough and some nice records that were floating around for a while.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I think everyone has a peice of Sweeney's collection.

He told me that what he and I shared was special...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    then there was some institutionalized dude around philly who wrote his name in cursive all over the cover, in the inside jacket (the cardboard part and on the inner sleeve. very thorough and some nice records that were floating around for a while.

Yeah, Ray Simmons really knew how to fuck up a record jacket. My copy of "Them Changes" has his name all over the label as well.

But yeah, records were always clean.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Yeah, Ray Simmons really knew how to fuck up a record jacket. My copy of "Them Changes" has his name all over the label as well.

But yeah, records were always clean.

I have Ray's copy of Soul Searchers "We The People." I have no idea how he wrote his name like that on the inside.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

Ditto! All my mom's family still lives out in Elyria and Lorraine. Good thrift stores the last time I was up in those parts.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

i've picked up a handful of soul 45s in the bay area with the initials "M.A." on them (in the same handwriting). some in san francisco, some down close to san jose. any other bay area people find any of these and know the story of "M.A."?

i think marco (no funk) posted a story about johnnie cool, whose 12"s must be distributed all over north carolina by now.

• Yeah they work at the college.

...my uncle does as well.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    i think marco (no funk) posted a story about johnnie cool, whose 12"s must be distributed all over north carolina by now.

I've got a grip of Johnnie Cools from stores round here... Mark actually went to his house but it looked like more of the same titles for the most part... but damn dude really took care of his shit! Its unusual to find an active deejay's collection and for everything to be so minty...

DEE BAILEY is the classic NC collection though, his LPs were circulating for a LONG time... he would write his name and various notes all over the sleeve...

• ray simmons! thats it. i met some dealers at valley forge who had a good bit of his collection and they said he had been in and out of mental hospitals and loved his records. doesnt sound too far off from some of you folks.

local philly staple Tony B tags all his labels. ive bought things off him with the tag but also found some in random places. Fusion used to stamp his labels. any of yall label at all? remember those little label makers? there was a simpsons episode where bart goes crazy with one and then falls down a well
    imagine going to pittsburgh and finding on all the thriftshop stock

• theres soe serious record collections on soulstrut. how long is it going to be before some of us are committed and collections get dispersed?
    who are the likeliest candidates? guzzo? hcrink? L13? ap and philmost have shown their moments of madness too...

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    anybody know the purple stamp letters VVV[/b] ?

possibly a DJ or dealer from the Los Angeles area?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Tony B.

• SIZZALEEN

Hi cosmo

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Ji Honny.

• the dude was dr lloyd fergusen in la.

record surplus and atomic had like 1000s of his records. they were always obscure funky jazz in perfect condition.

i think i still have a couple in the collection.

there is also this dude dr groove merchant or soemthing like that. he had heat too.

also this radio station in buffalo had heat i've caught a couple nice pieces through ebay.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    "Brown, Fred" or "F.Brown" had a killer collection,
    (he wrote his name & a catalog # on the back cover of all his records)
    his sister chased away most buyers from the DC estate sale
    a few of us stuck it out & found heat
    somehow the rest of the collection was sold & reached from richmond va to nyc

reggae 7" have turned up all over with the "dirk wellington" stamp
    (other faves are a turkey stamp or a swastika )

• MAURICE COMMISONG

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I'll occasionally notice the name 'DJ Eightball' markered on a twelve-inch - always utterly hacked.

shudder-to-think what this dude might have been like...

---

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    E. James RIP

Brooklyn deejay who was mostly into soca and calypso, but had some awesome funk/jazz/latin/reggae/disco as well...

His records ended up down here with his family, who were about to TOSS them, but they ended up getting sold to the store I work at the first wknd I was there... all reeking of incense, all with a little label somewhere on the slv identifying them as his...

• meshmesh 925 Posts

I've got a grip of Johnnie Cools from stores round here... Mark actually went to his house but it looked like more of the same titles for the most part... but damn dude really took care of his shit! Its unusual to find an active deejay's collection and for everything to be so minty...

DEE BAILEY is the classic NC collection though, his LPs were circulating for a LONG time... he would write his name and various notes all over the sleeve...

i copped some johnnie cool's from a bookstore in durham.

it would be interesting to get some type of list going of who has pieces from the same collection, see how far that shit spreads out.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i used to keep collections together and play my sets according to where the records came from. tried to possibly recreate those old parties. everything's mixed up now.