Any of those old trip-hop dudes still make anything decent?

Ex-BoyfriendEx-Boyfriend 795 Posts
edited August 2014 in Strut Central
Just randomly remembered the other day that Dj Krush was a guy that exists so decided to check out what he'd done recently. Turns out he hasn't released an album in ten years.

Whilst googling about krush I saw that Dj shadow released an ep recently. WOW. Dudes quest to transform himself into whole foods diplo is just sad. The outsider was mostly trash but this new ep is straight balderdash, foul shit. The first song is aight if boring but the second is just incompetent. It sounds like someone whose urge to be considered current is contesting with his hatred of everything that actually is current. The third song is a remix of six days. Who cares about a six days remix in 2014? Dude should just say fuck it and start chopping up breaks again. It's embarrassing to see a guy who made a track called why hiphop sucks in 96 trying to climb on cheif keefs dick. Yeah house of pains third album is the lowest of the low but cheif keef that next level shit. Ok, son.

Does anybody who was making instrumental hip-hop back then make hot shit currently? I cant think of a single one. Honestly, not to be arrogant, but im just about the only person whose made a successful transition between that late 90's sound and contemporary music.

Comments

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Ex-Boyfriend said:
    Honestly, not to be arrogant, but im just about the only person whose made a successful transition between that late 90's sound and contemporary music.

Go on...

• Ex-Boyfriend said:
    I think the lection of a democratic president legitmiately qualifies as a national emergency. In that case I would be more than happy to see bush step in and save the country from itself.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Vadim still makes some cool stuff

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    Ex-Boyfriend said:
    I think the lection of a democratic president legitmiately qualifies as a national emergency. In that case I would be more than happy to see bush step in and save the country from itself.
    awkward comedy clown

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Tis better to balze out than to slowly fade away...

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    Tis better to balze blazing downtempo out than to slowly fade away...

Coincidentally enough, I listened to the K&D Sessions the other day at work, and it mostly holds up, at the very least on a nostalgic level for me - those guys never topped that one, sadly.

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    that new shadow ep truly is awful.... second track sounding like some newbie fruity loops