August Finds

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited August 2014 in Strut Central

Major Records Library find.

Comments

• wow...deets pls

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Bought them last winter back East in an old Western wheat town. Just got them unpacked and was pleased to find all the best titles there.

But the ones I have been listening to this morning are all mid 80s synth. Lots of Walter Murphy. Straight rip offs of Miami Vice theme and Beverly Hills Cops. (Can I call that stuff modern soul?)

Also finding lots of disco and boogie cuts.
    Also found a bluegrass one by Arthur Smith, an important bluegrasser, but of no interest to anyone, not even me. Too generic.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    nice!!! check for harlem smoke..

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    back East in an old Western wheat town.

:next_level:

Upskiboo: Yes, I listened to Harlem Smoke!
    Horseleech: That's the geography works here.

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    Dang that's a lot o library music, sweet find

I went to a hippy grocery/ health food store and found these. Good prices too.

Hotter Than July is under rated. Great lp.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Oriental Mood is pretty wicked Lebanese psych funk.

+ this thing (not my pic):

• LaserWolf said:

Major Records Library find.

I got a bunch of those Valentino library lp's from Academy dollarbins a few years ago...I kinda cherry picked the funky ones. Not sure why they were a dollar but I wasn't complaining! I'm sure we probably have a lot of the same ones...if I recall correctly some of them are produced by Walter Murphy of "California Strut" and "Fifth Of Beethoven" fame. Oh Wait, you already mentioned that.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

Thanks to crabmongerfunk for the recommendation (last month's Finds) on the Sam Rivers.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I love that Hedzoleh Soundz!!!! Does Masekela have anything else that comes close? I've heard some other stuff by him and thought it was kind of cheesy, but it was from a much later period than that LP.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    I love that Hedzoleh Soundz!!!! Does Masekela have anything else that comes close? I've heard some other stuff by him and thought it was kind of cheesy, but it was from a much later period than that LP.

He has his moments but, yeah, there is a lot of in-crowd/now-sound cheese among them. This one is the best. Other than that I own "Grrrr..." (which he signed a few years ago after a show at the Catalina in L.A.), the black self-titled one from '69 and "Emancipation". Fela's involvement with this record seems to be the magic touch. 'Grazin In The Grass' is classic but I can't say I ride for much outside that and the political activism.

• masekela has several essential albums aside from hedzollah:

"I Am Not Afraid"

"Home is Where the Music Is"

"The Boys are Doing It"

"Colonial Man"

• crabmongerfunk said:
    masekela has several essential albums aside from hedzollah:

"I Am Not Afraid"

Yes this is crucial. I did a late night dubby edit of it on this: http://www.juno.co.uk/products/mesdames-yo/492426-01/

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    8 cornered icelandic progjoint was the more interesting one in a small stack of more less random albums from yesterday flea..

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

You can fund a major digging trip when you flip that Ricardo Marrero. I gotta' get out in the field a lot more like I used to. Great score!

• havent had much to be proud of this summer as ive been trying out my hand and antique flipping...but all of the sudden, the end of summer just dropped a huge bounty into my life

feels pretty good to be back in the game.