stamping your raers

upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
edited August 2014 in Strut Central
i do this once or twice a year, putting a name tag on the keepers..

so in time, 1000 years from now, if records are still playable or humans havent blown up our planet, those lps will still be mine somehow haha..

Comments

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

• i would never intentionally deface a record i loved, that's sacrilege, but to each his own....

b/w

"You are not what you own"

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    i would never intentionally deface a record

African records more often than not have the former owners signature and if it once was a gift to somebody than there often is a personal note. All this ads history and character to them but for an outsider to put a stamp on it would feel like defacing a historic artifact.

Also it would most certainly hurt the resale value and I plan on let go of all of my stuff at some point.

I've turned down otherwise perfect trades just because the record in question had a certain dealer's rubber stamp on the cover and label.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I love seeing the same stamps and scrawls on records. Cindy tells me Nick Johnson has a goofy scribble.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    But cannot consider myself among them. My records kinda suck, I wouldn't want to show my ass by claiming some wack shit as hott.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    sticky_dojah said:

Now that was a thread.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    to clarify, main reason for stamping raers is actually security, no you cannot prevent your precious ones from getting stolen, stories bout records getting snatched are getting more and more common these days, and even though marked records would not scare a record thief away, he wouldnt be able to remove a stamp/ name evidence, odds would become greater that records could be traced to the orig owner in a theft scenario, if he was gonna try to sell off the merchandise..
    regarding ruining record condition/ value by stamp marking, for sure is an issue if you place the stamp on the front or back cover, but if you reach one/ two inches inside the sleeve, a stamp will not be noticeable (except if you look deep into the sleeve) and i dont see that as messing with the condition or decreasing market value of an album.. just sayin!

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Every once and a while in a fit of paranoid hysteria I'll start writing my initials on the inside of record covers. After a few minutes my ADD overides my OCD and I start listening to records I'm marking and I drop the project. I have had a couple thousand $'s of records stolen in the past though.... and this is what gets me going every now and then.