Pomelo Appreciatiation Thread (NRR)

willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
edited February 2010 in Strut Central
How come Pomelos haven't gone big yet? They're possibly the tastiest citrus fruit, but yet they hide in obscurity like your precious RAER-nowhere near the profile of grapefruit, it's closest comparison.Do any of you eat pomelos on the regular? Any tricks or tips about their consumption?How about it for this amazing fruit??!

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    iRyde

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    tasty stuff
    I'm a grapefruit fan so this is a no brainer

In Asian culture it's not only a fruit, it's a fashion statement

POMELO HAT!

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    absolutely. used to eat these all the time in Malaysia when i lived there. bugger to get into though. i used to take them downstairs and get the fruit stall man to cut them open the right way, because i couldn't do it...

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I've never tried a pomelo. But after watching the clip I#m totaly craving for it.
    I hope I can find a shop which sells them.

Speaking of underappreciated fruits, the jackfruit deserves a mention:

It tases like a mixture of peach, mango and cherry. Absolutly delicous. Unfortunatly it is barely avaialable where i live.

• co-sign on jackfruit-just had a jackfruit bubble tea from the Vietnamese spot on Saturday. so good. went along with a hot pork & jicama puff pastry and grilled pork banh mi.

finelikewine, where do you live? if there are any asian groceries they'll almost certainly have pomelos. or if there are any Vietnamese restaurants, ask them if they know where to cop.

• I had one last night for Tu B'shvat. So good.

and one of these:

not as good.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    does anyone get down with Durian? i heard it smells like ass but tastes delicious. the asians apparently love the stuff.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Gin salty dogs with fresh squeezed pomelo juice is killer. Sometimes you have to add a tad of simple syrup if it's a really sour pomelo.

• I wanna try it w/ vodka now

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    does anyone get down with Durian? i heard it smells like ass but tastes delicious. the asians apparently love the stuff.

I tried them when I was in Thailand. They taste like a mixture of vanilla, garlic and smelly cheese. Not my cup of tea.

I had one last night for Tu B'shvat. So good.

and one of these:

not as good.

what's that?

• "Buddha's Hand" apparently is what it's called. I had never seen it. We had a gang of exotic fruits at dinner last night.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Durian and jackfruit (same family?) are no joke. If they fall on your head from the tree, they kill you swift like. I heard it takes 7 or 8 years from maturity for the tree to produce edible fruits. The early ones can not be touched or something. They are massive and awesome to look at growing though. Farmers climb the trees to wrap them in some kind of netting/bag to make them sweeter as they grow. I find both utterly rank in taste and texture, and the smell even worse. Still you have to try them at least once in your life, because the season is short and they are a highly regarded delicacy.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    bump.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    My friend Nashtipooh (aka Teh Nasher, aka Nashed Potatoes) has a serious pomelo juice habit. He drinks it neat, adds it to beer, to wine, and also to rum, which I now like very much.

#team pomelo

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Nashtipooh

Nasty Poo is an unfortunate name.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Duderonomy said:
    Nashtipooh

Nasty Poo is an unfortunate name.

I've been calling him Nashtipooh etc since we were 10*. Old habits...

* He calls me Len (phonetic contraction of Leonard), because L*o is too long.

• amphibiousamphibious 147 Posts
    y'all up on chirimoya?

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I've had biribá, I think it's similar to chirimoya. It has a soft juicy white pulp and is possibly the most delicious fruit I've ever had: