How's Aleit doing in New Orleans?

2»

Comments

• You could always make a SoCal roadtrip...... A day and a 1/2 drive from Austin.....

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Glad to know you and yours are safe. Hope everything works out for you.

• As far as hikes in NOLA records- the least of my worries or concerns. If I still have records when I get back home, feel free to support some sales!!! I will now definitely need the cash.

Thanks for the wishes and concern.

Thanks for taking a minute to check in. I was thinking about you this morning watching the footage.

Keep us updated if you can, please.

Best.
    . If you notice who was left at the Superdome, you'll get an understanding of how things work in the city I live in.

a*i, didnt understand what you meant by this. could you explain if you get a chance.
    you heard from nowe miasto people at all?
    damn man, half the homes already looked near collapse in nola. i shudder to think what happened up in the neighborhoods. my sympathy and thoughts go out.
    -t

• So now I must figure out where the next move is from Austin as I continue to kill time and money waiting to come home to assess the damage. Of course the important thing is that I'm alive and all the folks who I know along the coast that I have been able to reach are safe. But my heart goes out to those who stayed to ride out the storm or who had no choice. If you notice who was left at the Superdome, you'll get an understanding of how things work in the city I live in. They have no sense of the death count in New Orleans at this point, but I can guarantee it won't look good. Water filled up homes in only a matter of minutes and they are saying that it is still rising at 1 inch per hour although it is starting to settle.

It's difficult to gauge the damage. There's a lot of misinformation out there, and really, almost nobody has information because the city is still roped off. Downtown and the french quarter seem alright, heard a levee broke and they started to get some flooding, but a foot, a foot and a half isn't the 20 feet that some areas have. Still the levees that are supposed to keep water OUT are now keeping water IN, and there's no power for pumps.

a*i, didnt understand what you meant by this. could you explain if you get a chance.

Tripledouble: Unfortunately the poor (mostly non-white) population has borne the brunt of the storm. Where do you live if you don't have enough $ for gas fare?? And you don't live anywhere that's on the tourist maps? Not the garden district. Pretty much all the areas you see people standing on rooftops are historically black neighborhoods. NO has incredible economic and racial issues in the past, and this won't help.

• so everyone left in town was in the superdome???!?! i need to turn on the tv.

• And ari, if you want to do that trip to FL, I know it's in the opposite direction, but come on down. I am serious, I'll cut you a key and you can have run of the raers.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    yo come to dc if you need a place to hang
    (your welcome to knock my records around anytime )

looking pretty bad for nola folk
    http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9113550/
    better call the epa super cleanup crew !!

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    As far as hikes in NOLA records- the least of my worries or concerns. If I still have records when I get back home, feel free to support some sales!!! I will now definitely need the cash.

Thanks for the wishes and concern.

Thanks for taking a minute to check in. I was thinking about you this morning watching the footage.

Keep us updated if you can, please.

Best.

For those watching the news, things look quite grim in the aftermath for the gulf coast. Despite some optimism about New Orleans when Katrina hit yesterday, the aerial footage looks awful. They are estimating that 80% of the city is underwater, some areas up to 15 - 20 feet, especially around the 9th Ward and New Orleans East. Obviously power is out for more than 1 million people on the coast, but there are also water main breaks, gas leaks around the city, and a number of fires that have broken out.

What's crazier is the warning of poisonous snakes, alligators, and fire ants that have been blown into the city. They are saying that it will be at least a week before they start letting any of the folks who evacuated back into the city.

So now I must figure out where the next move is from Austin as I continue to kill time and money waiting to come home to assess the damage. Of course the important thing is that I'm alive and all the folks who I know along the coast that I have been able to reach are safe. But my heart goes out to those who stayed to ride out the storm or who had no choice. If you notice who was left at the Superdome, you'll get an understanding of how things work in the city I live in. They have no sense of the death count in New Orleans at this point, but I can guarantee it won't look good. Water filled up homes in only a matter of minutes and they are saying that it is still rising at 1 inch per hour although it is starting to settle.

In any case, holler if you're in the south. I'm debating heading back to Detroit but shit, that's probably 1500 miles from where I am.

Peace.

Do you have any idea if your apartment is in the submerged section? (If so - insurance?)

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    One news source stated out of the 1.3 million people in NO about a quarter have no transportation. That's 100's of thousands of people.

I didn't hear if the National Guard or another government agency were transporting people out, but it seems pretty unbelievable that they would let so many people bear the brunt of that storm. ALthough, with who's in charge now, nothing would surprise me.

My thoughts go out to everyone affected by this.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Tripledouble: Unfortunately the poor (mostly non-white) population has borne the brunt of the storm. Where do you live if you don't have enough $ for gas fare?? And you don't live anywhere that's on the tourist maps? Not the garden district. Pretty much all the areas you see people standing on rooftops are historically black neighborhoods. NO has incredible economic and racial issues in the past, and this won't help.

And they just declared Martial Law. A photo of a "looter":

• that "looter" just looks hungry to me.

i posted in another thread about my family there in MS. my mom and dad had evacuated to mobile. they are fine and as of 5 minutes ago they have power back at the house where they are. my aunts house in long beach(next to gulfport) where the rest of my family holed up(2 grandparents, 2 aunts, 2 uncles, 5 cousins) was actually the worst off as far as the condition of the houses. my mom and dads is probably in the best shape from what my cousin reported yesterday at approx 5pm. they have been showing footage of highway 90 there along the coast, one of my aunt's house is literally half a block away from that highway. i fear their house must be just straight up ruined. hopefully all that info is true as the only people i've had direct contact with are my parents. i've been on the phone all morning relaying information to other memebers of the family, some of whom i havent even talked to in 20+ years.

its a wild, crazy and fucked up situation for a lot of people out there. i fear we have only seen a small amount of the damage and destrution from this shit. i feel for everyone involved with this.

aleit, i dont know you from adam but if you need a place to stay in houston for a couple of days i could offer that to you. i could even take you around to look at records although i know thats probably the last thing on your mind. email me here if you need to > [email]jnalege@yahoo.com[/email]

• a*i, didnt understand what you meant by this. could you explain if you get a chance.

True - all the really bad photos I've seen always say "8th Ward" and "Treme" neighborhoods - there's not a lot of Starbucks and TCBYs in those hoods if you get what I mean. They are extremely poor and mostly black neighborhoods of NOLA that even before the hurricane, people were suffering and had little hope. I feel for them the most.

A*i - how's the 9th Ward? Bywater? Marigny? Spellcaster's Lodge? Hi-Ho Lounge? Awww man, NOLA is fucked up right now.

Glad to hear you're O.K., hit me up if you decide to come up here.

SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Andrew- Thanks for the offer. I think i am going to hold off on any trips to FL for now although it crossed my mind. Right now I think the plan is to head up to Detroit where my family is... it is looking like it may be a month or more before I can even get back to the city and assess the damage.

Sooks- I don't know whether my area was/is/is going to be submerged. I heard from a friend that my area was OK, but it was secondhand and the waters are still rising from the levee break near Pontchartrain today.

Flatblackplastic- thanks for the Houston offer. Initially my plan was to head to Houston to do some record buying and whatnot, but I think I am again going to hold off, my mind just wouldn't be in it. I will take you up on it soon though as I was planning a Houston trip before all this went down. And I think that we may have actually met in Austin at the record covnention if I am guessing right, and I sold you a Detroit jazz LP.

Aaron- The 9th Ward and NOLA East got hit the hardest from what I've heard. I'm guessing the ByWater is pretty bad as well. It's hard to say though, they're not really reporting on Neighborhoods but just showing aerial footage that makes things look awful. I would say that Hi-Ho is below the waterline. The water has risen to around 20 feet in some places. They were talking earlier about evacuating the Tulane Hospital because by air b/c water was rising at an inch an hour. The front page of the news here in Austin was a photo of a police officer to his shoulders in water, searching for fuel to siphon from cars in order to keep terminally ill children on life support at the hospital. I will call you when I get in town, it will be good to see you and relax for a moment.

Tony- Andrew more or less answered your question. My language was a bit cryptic, sorry. I was referring to the disparities in the city and how they play out in terms of emergency protocols. The folks that get placed in the superdome have no other means. That is where my heart is right now for these people that had no choice but stay. Did you get my msg. from a couple back? I want to link you with a friend who's about to start some similar work as you.

Coffinjoe- Thanks so much for the offer. I really appreciate it and I very well may take you up on it in the coming weeks. I will most likely get stir crazy back in MI and need some distraction, plus I have some family in DC i'd like to see- nephews and what not. It would be great to see you and I promise not to knock anything over.

Thanks again to folks. I've been coping with things OK but mostly by distraction. Watching the footage this afternoon has been seriously traumatic- I, of course, have lost really nothing- i have my life, i drove away in my car, I have my family and a means, etc. I may have lost all my belongings and despite the dread I feel about it (not knowing), I know that it really means nothing compared to what other people are going through on the coast right now.

I really appreciate the warm wishes and words. PEACE.

• Flatblackplastic- thanks for the Houston offer. Initially my plan was to head to Houston to do some record buying and whatnot, but I think I am again going to hold off, my mind just wouldn't be in it. I will take you up on it soon though as I was planning a Houston trip before all this went down. And I think that we may have actually met in Austin at the record covnention if I am guessing right, and I sold you a Detroit jazz LP.
    no problem man. i was gonna look at some today but when i got home and started to watch the news well.....now i dont feel doing much of anything. they showed some footage of long beach and it looks like everything is destroyed. i havent been to the austin convention in about 5 years so it probably wasnt me, anyways, holla at me if you come this way. there is a chance that im either going to be in austin this weekend or if im able, going to mississippi to help sort out my families lives. when were you thinking of leaving for detroit?

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    THIS JUST IN: Black People "Loot" while White People "Find"[/b]

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    THIS JUST IN: Black People "Loot" while White People "Find"[/b]