WW3? Malaysian airplane shot down by Russia???

DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
edited July 2014 in Strut Central
Another Malaysian airplane - this time shot down? By Russia? WTF?
Analysis: Jonathan Beale, BBC News
A defence expert has told the BBC that shooting down a plane at 10,000m (9.7 miles) would have required a long- range surface-to-air missile - possibly guided by radar.

That suggests it is unlikely it could have been downed by a portable air defence missile, or Manpad, which has a much shorter range.

The only other possibility is for an aircraft at that height to be downed by a fighter carrying air-to-air missiles.

The US will have access to satellite imagery that should be able to identify ultra-violet plumes if a long-range surface-to-air missile was fired.

Comments

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I don't get it, why should Russia shot down a Malaysian airplane?
    It's so scary, considering that such incidents might trigger international treaty obligations, like in 1914 the assault on the archduke Franz Ferdinand did.

:zooted:

• If it was shot down by Russian or Ukrainian affiliated forces I hardly think it was intentional; surely a case of mistaken identity...?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Pro-Russian separatists are deleting a lot of tweets about it.

Supposedly they were bragging about how they had shot down a Ukrainian supply plane.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    this is what happens when you put anti air missile systems like these

into the hands of vodka fueled, masked hoodlums.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    If you want to get a small clue into what it's like in those areas of Ukraine the Vice News pieces on it have been really good.

You would hope that a tragic incident like this will bring some pause to those fueling the situation, but i doubt it.

• something happening to a malaysian flight over the ukraine, allegedly by Russians : the most grainiest of salt piles

is this not your big 3 of collusion and corruption?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    All I know for sure is that I'm never flying with Malaysia Airways.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    I've read that airlines have been avoiding Ukrainian airspace over the region where the conflict lies. Malaysia Airways is cash strapped and flew over because it is a more direct route to their destination and would save on fuel costs.

Don't know if that's true, but it is a theory.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Duderonomy said:

their flights might get cheap, though...

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    parallax said:
    I've read that airlines have been avoiding Ukrainian airspace over the region where the conflict lies. Malaysia Airways is cash strapped and flew over because it is a more direct route to their destination and would save on fuel costs.

I read or watched somewhere that several commercial airlines flew over that area that day and had been in previous days/weeks.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    parallax said:

I read or watched somewhere that several commercial airlines flew over that area that day and had been in previous days/weeks.

German television reported that there were two other international flights in the same area at the time of impact, both flew over more or less the same spot within minutes of this tragedy.

This is all pretty crazy, especially considering that it was a known fact that the separatists had captured Buk missile systems even though it was assumed they weren't capable of operating them. These missiles reach up to 25km so it boggles the mind how this airspace was still being used for civilian air travel. It was common knowledge that the Russians were sending intelligence personnel and mercenaries into Ukraine to support these separatists and the possibility they'd send in someone who can fire those captured Buk systems should not have needed a far stretch of the imagination but I guess NSA and CIA were too busy spying on the German government than to afford spending any time or resources on preventing terrorists from shooting down an airliner. These missiles have heat seeking heads so I guess once they figured how to fire them they just let them go on autopilot to try and find a warm place.

finelikewine said:
    Duderonomy said:

their flights might get cheap, though...

We have a saying in English "Bad luck comes in threes". So fuck that for a game of soldiers.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Exclusive VICE News Footage of MH17 Aftermath: Russian Roulette (Dispatch 60) - You may not want to watch this.

• Independently of what the truth is they will blame Russia. This awful event is probably result of either stupid mistake or intentional act against Russia. Who knows who was that guy who pressed the button. At least it could not be stupid drunk separatist as such weapon is quite complicated and the operator of it should have an idea that there are civil airplanes in the area as well. I just could not believe that he did not realized that as one need to be a trained pro to use this missile equipment. Though I could not believe that Ukraine could do this intentionally as well. And I doubt that we will know the whole truth about it.

Anyhow the result is quite obvious already: the whole world hate Russia a bit more than before.

Dude, dude, dude.

Putin has basically enabled some nationalist thugs, given them the keys to some big toys, and expected the thugs to act in Russia's interests (land-grab) without it being "in Putin's name".

• This sounds too simple. I don't know what's happening in reality but I am convinced that all simple theories are not more than just propoganda from TV. Though I think there is some truth in your statement.

It was a mistake for Putin to trust a militia with that kind of weapon and expect them to be responsible... especially if they're not "officially" there.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Dude, check the name and post total of who you're arguing with... Not a reliable narrator here.

• The more your posts count the more reliable your statements are? Where is logic? Off course KGB pays a dollar to me for each post here ;)

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Within minutes after downing the plane, Russian separatists have published pictures of the billowing mushroom cloud of the smoking wreckage, boasting about having downed another Ukrainian aircraft. Even the Russian media at first reported this as a Ukrainian plane downed by pro-Russian separatists:
    http://ria.ru/world/20140717/1016409306.html

When it became clear that it was in fact a civilian plane and they had just committed an atrocity, they were quick to try and delete these posts and pictures and tried to blame to the Ukrainian military -why should the Ukrainian army employ anti aircraft systems if they are the only ones having military planes in the air? And how stupid do you have to be for trying and attempt to deny and delete shit you've already posted on the internet?

The evidence these people try to make disappear speaks louder than any accusation. Same goes for week old reports where the separatists have provided photographic evidence that they have captured Buk missile systems. the futile efforts in making this evidence disappear would be laughable if the situation wouldn't be so horrifically tragic.

Meanwhile at the crash site, OSCE investigators are being pushed around by drunk militia cretins with bad teeth and nicknames from Walt Disney movies while local bottom feeders crawl the wreckage in their plastic sandals, looting for valuables.

International protocol for plane crashes like these is consciously and deliberately being broken. The crime scene is being disturbed and altered and evidence is being removed. These actions are the clearest admission of guilt anybody could ever ask for.

I don't think anybody with half a brain has any doubt who launched that missile. The local, pro-Russian separatists are inept, untrained hoodlums, the main leaders were all trained in Russia and have Russian passports. Same as the person who pushed that button.

Putin sputters conspiracy nonsense because the truth would make him lose face and put him on the same level as Gaddafi. But this has already happened and no amount of moronic conspiracy crazy talk will ever change this again. A badly aged, flaccid despot with delusions of grandeur, his poorly executed and ill advised poses of pathos revealing nothing more but his own imPutince.

As far as this Ukraine/Russia conflict, I'd really prefer for Russia to just annex the whole of Ukraine, let them have it. Better weigh Russia down with it than to dump billions of EU money into that broke ass country.

• Frank said:
    Putin sputters conspiracy nonsense because the truth would make him lose face and put him on the same level as Gaddafi.

If you ask me Gaddafi made a lot more sense than Putin. He claimed the Libyan uprising in Eastern Libya was led by Al Qaeda, which is not that far from the truth because Benghazi is now the headquarters of Al Qaeda in Northern Africa.

Putin's media however are making idiotic claims similar to the 9-11 truther idiots who claim that the planes that hit the Twin Towers were not real passenger planes.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Da Vinylmentalist said:
    Frank said:
    Putin sputters conspiracy nonsense because the truth would make him lose face and put him on the same level as Gaddafi.

If you ask me Gaddafi made a lot more sense than Putin. He claimed the Libyan uprising in Eastern Libya was led by Al Qaeda, which is not that far from the truth because Benghazi is now the headquarters of Al Qaeda in Northern Africa.

Putin's media however are making idiotic claims similar to the 9-11 truther idiots who claim that the planes that hit the Twin Towers were not real passenger planes.

My comparison was referring to the fact that both were/are depots who employed terrorists who took civilian planes out of the sky.

Btw, Putin also sold quantity of Buk systems to Syria. Should Assad fall, these will most likely end up in the hands of ISIS.

• I don't think anybody with half a brain has any doubt who launched that missile.
    Obviously half-brain people have no doubts. People with brains always have doubts and try to analyse information.

Your "evidence" is not of direct nature and does not proove anything. It's not very wise to base own judgement on them.

Within minutes after downing the plane, Russian separatists have published pictures of the billowing mushroom cloud of the smoking wreckage, boasting about having downed another Ukrainian aircraft. Even the Russian media at first reported this as a Ukrainian plane downed by pro-Russian separatists:
    http://ria.ru/world/20140717/1016409306.html
    It could be explained that they just posted it when they saw crashed plane and did not wait for any confirmation and looking for reasons of that. You said that they are drunk and stupid so there should not have good communication between them. When they saw it was civil plane they removed that message.

why should the Ukrainian army employ anti aircraft systems if they are the only ones having military planes in the air?
    Actually all countries use anti aircraft systems permanently. And there were increased concentration of these systems belonging to Ukraine near the border with Russia in order to prevent possible air attack from Russia. Read some articles made by military experts who knows how these Buk system works. They all tell that it's very unlikely to destroy the plane only with one machine. If you don't know in 2001 Ukrainian military destroyed Russian civil aircraft by mistake. They could do this mistake again during testing of equipment as they did not have proper training since 2001. The condition of Ukrainian army now is very poor. There was also a version that they were aiming Putin's aircraft but this is bullshit I think.

Meanwhile at the crash site, OSCE investigators are being pushed around by drunk militia cretins with bad teeth and nicknames from Walt Disney movies while local bottom feeders crawl the wreckage in their plastic sandals, looting for valuables.
    Ok ok if they have bad teeth they 100% destroyed the aircraft.

I am not pretending that my points are bloody truth. This is just counterarguments against your "proof". I would suggest to wait for the decision of the commision after black box data analysis and then claim anything.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Black Box.

The crime scene has been so compromised the best a case could ever be is circumstantial. The rebels destroyed the evidence, which adds to the cover up.

At this point, that's not speculation- it is on every news station outside Russia.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Purported recording of rebel communication about downing of flight mh17

Rebels have the blackboxes, hopefully they'll hand them over to investigators wherever they are?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I'm shocked, shocked I tells ya, that black boxes could be another colour.
    And dismayed.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    skel said:
    I'm shocked, shocked I tells ya, that black boxes could be another colour.
    And dismayed.

joke all you want. I just saw our kings speach (remember him? prins pils)
    all the conflicts in this world are mere peanuts compared to a national tragedy.
    193 victims, bitch please

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    What "a coincidence":

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28416532

ketan said:

Still waiting for the movie adaptation.