How's Aleit doing in New Orleans?

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Hope he is making it to safer ground.oh yeah--and i hope his records are too.

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Hope he is making it to safer ground.
    oh yeah--and i hope his records are too.

Hollar if you're okay A**.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Didn't we do this last month as well?? Shit.

Hold it down. Protect your neck, and then your raer.

• one of the scariest things i've ever read:

WWUS74 KLIX 281550NPWLIXURGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA

1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED

HURRICANE KATRINAA MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED STRENGTH...RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969. MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. ATLEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL.PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETE BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME WALL AND ROOF FAILURE. HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT. AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATEADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK. POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING... BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEWCROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BEKILLED.AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEARHURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE...ARE CERTAIN WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS.ONCE TROPICAL STORM AND HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ONSET...DO NOT VENTURE OUTSIDE!

yikes. some of the phrases in there...just incredible. my thoughts go out to everyone in new orleans, my favorite city.

m

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    If the above predictions come true...my god !

On a more insignificant note, just heard a report that oil just reached a new record of $70 a barrel!!! Shit gonna be rough for a while!

• Yup.

• Homie PM'd me before heading north. He's got the drill down from the storms last year, I'm sure he's on higher ground by now listening to african jazz, counting his psych rock stock and impressing the indie rock chickies.

• 175 mph winds !

dude has anybody ever been in a hurricane?

i was in one as a baby but i don't remember it.

• Options

Hurricane Gloria in 1985, passed right over my town and took a huge oak tree down onto our garage. I don't know how fast the winds were, or what category it was. It was kind of awesome though, I remember the tree snapped on the last round of wind right before the eye came. So we all went out to look at it for a bit, then the wind picked up again and we had to go back inside. Wild when you're ten years old.

• dude has anybody ever been in a hurricane?

Hurricane Gloria in 1985, passed right over my town and took a huge oak tree down onto our garage. I don't know how fast the winds were, or what category it was. It was kind of awesome though, I remember the tree snapped on the last round of wind right before the eye came. So we all went out to look at it for a bit, then the wind picked up again and we had to go back inside. Wild when you're ten years old.

Yeah, I remember Gloria, I was 11 years old. It had minimal impact on upstate NY but I remember we got to go home from school early. I remember that and the Challenger blowing up the same school year. I think Gloria was a kiss on the cheek compared to what is about to hit NOLA though.

• Near boston I remember Gloria took down a big old tree right in front of my house. It fell halfway then was suspended at an angle.... on the power lines. Wild. Everybody came out and gawked during the eye of the storm. I think I did a school project on it.... must have been a slow year in the 'burbs.

• 175 mph winds !

I was in andrew (and katrina 3 days ago), and it was loony. Even just catching the north side of it took out the national hurricane center, which scared the hell out of me as i was in a shelter accross the street from it. my folks place lost power for three weeks, and they were one of the lucky ones - some went out for six-eight weeks.

South Dade county fl was completely taken out - homestead was flattened. whole housing developments were ripped to shreds -- and that was in a city built for this weather. NO is fucked. Too much political bullshit to take preventative measures - and now the people will pay forit. I fear my cousin's beautiful house in mid city is gonna be totaled.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    175 mph winds !

I was in andrew (and katrina 3 days ago), and it was loony. Even just catching the north side of it took out the national hurricane center, which scared the hell out of me as i was in a shelter accross the street from it. my folks place lost power for three weeks, and they were one of the lucky ones - some went out for six-eight weeks.

South Dade county fl was completely taken out - homestead was flattened. whole housing developments were ripped to shreds -- and that was in a city built for this weather. NO is fucked. Too much political bullshit to take preventative measures - and now the people will pay forit. I fear my cousin's beautiful house in mid city is gonna be totaled.

Where in south dade were you? I was in Perrine w/ my mom locked in closet. She was praying like a mad women. We got lucky because we were on a 1st floor apartment and didn't lose our roof. Less then a block away houses were in shambles with roofs missing or just a vacant lot.We went over a month w/out power cooking canned pasta w/ sternos. Like dude said homestead was wiped away. The funked up thing is alot of that population was made up of low income immigrant workers who lost everything. You can still go down south and see plywood over windows w/ " you loot we shoot" spray painted on them. Sad to say but NO looks like it might be washed away.

again I hope everyone makes it out ok...

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Hurricane Iwa in November 1982. Considering where we lived at the time, a house that was pretty much termite ridden, we were lucky that the house stayed up. My dad was still alive, so it was him, me, and my sister in the house, while my mom was at work. I believe she stayed the night there. It was 75-85mph, but with no land to slow down the storm, where can one go? That's the only one I've been through.

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    growing up in NJ, hurricane Gloria was the only major one that came that far north that i can remember. i definitely remember watching trees fall down, and my dad telling me that if i walked out into the street, i probably wouldn't be able to stand up. really though, has anyone ever been in a tornado? i got caught in one driving through southern MN a few years ago. had to retreat backwards down the highway and post up under an overpass with a few dozen other shook natives. it was my first and only tornado, and my brother and i were kind of joking around about it at the time, but everyone else under the bridge was definitely on a more serious vibe...lots of weeping and wailing, and repetitve praying to jesus. i don;t have any other tornadoes to compare it to, but it seemed like a pretty good one. the blackest sky i've ever seen in the middle of the day.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Yep, I remember Gloria... had just moved back to Philly, was actually working outside doing bike messenger work right as the hurricane was hitting! (Sounds nuts, I know, but I was broke and starving at the time.... I'd rather make an honest buck riding a bike in a hurricane than start mugging old ladies in order to eat, what can I say.) It wasn't that bad in Philly, though... strong rains, definitely some trees went down and windows got blown out, but overall nothing major. Soon as those winds starting blowing me and my bike down the street sideways I got the f**k inside like somebody with some sense.

That was nothing like what it sounds like Nawlins is about to experience, though. MAN. Hope it doesn't end up being that bad.

• Witness drastic price increase in local New Orleans records as supplies are offically "non-replenishing."

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I remember Gloria pretty clearly because it struck land the day befor my 16th birthday. I was pissed off, fuck a hurricane! We lived in a brick hi-rise so I wasn't worried about the house blowing away, but we did have to tape up all the windows and stuff.

This storm looks like some scary shit for real though. Having to camp out in the Superdome is just too crazy to contemplate.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

i was in Charleston SC during Hurricane Hugo (1989, above). too scared to live on the SE coast ever since.

this shit is so scary.

• "About 70 percent of New Orleans is below sea level and is protected from the Mississippi River by a series of levees. (Full story)

Forecasters predicted the storm surge could reach 28 feet; the highest levees around New Orleans are 18 feet high."

Damn.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    "About 70 percent of New Orleans is below sea level and is protected from the Mississippi River by a series of levees. (Full story)

Forecasters predicted the storm surge could reach 28 feet; the highest levees around New Orleans are 18 feet high."

Damn.

double damn. still trying to find out if a buddy of mine got out OK. He's probably fine....I really feel for folks who don't have much in terms of resources(car,cash,family,etc)in a situation like this. Mother Nature is one humbling force.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    weather reports this morning say nola missed the brunt of it...storm surges only expected to be about 10 ft. still serious, will still probably be flooding but no burying of the city.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Parts of the Super Dome's roof are already coming off, and the worst of the storm is like 2 hours away. There are almost 10,000 people there.

• Witness drastic price increase in local New Orleans records as supplies are offically "non-replenishing."

Cue Mike Vague Jim Russell backstock

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Oh My God I just saw 30 minutes of cable news on the storm and it looks terrifying. Ari I hope you are safe and all ends up good for you.

• "About 70 percent of New Orleans is below sea level and is protected from the Mississippi River by a series of levees. (Full story)

Damn.

I really feel for folks who don't have much in terms of resources(car,cash,family,etc)in a situation like this.

That's who I'm most worried about.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Thanks for the concern folks. It's been a crazy 24 hours. I left New Orleans at 5AM on Sunday morning and it still took over 4 hours to get to Baton Rouge and the entire trip to Austin took 12 + hours and would have taken considerably longer had I not taken many back routes.

I am safe and in Texas for the time being until things settle.

I moved 25 boxes of records up to the third floor of a friend's modern apartment building late on saturday night. I can only hope that they are safe there, but considering my first story apt in a 100 year old building w/ paper thin windows, they will much safer in their current location.

As for other personal belongings, hard to tell what has become of them until I am able to return to New Orleans. But it looks like the worst has passed. I've been glued to the TV since 6:00 AM.

In any case, I can only hope for the safety of other communities all along the gulf coast- this is a serious storm, diminishing but still brutal.

As far as hikes in NOLA records- the least of my worries or concerns. If I still have records when I get back home, feel free to support some sales!!! I will now definitely need the cash.

Thanks for the wishes and concern.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    As far as hikes in NOLA records- the least of my worries or concerns. If I still have records when I get back home, feel free to support some sales!!! I will now definitely need the cash.

Thanks for taking a minute to check in. I was thinking about you this morning watching the footage.

Keep us updated if you can, please.

Best.

• Glad you're doing alright man, it looked like impending doom for Nola for a while.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    looks like the superdome was not so safe after all?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Thanks for taking a minute to check in. I was thinking about you this morning watching the footage.

Keep us updated if you can, please.

Best.

For those watching the news, things look quite grim in the aftermath for the gulf coast. Despite some optimism about New Orleans when Katrina hit yesterday, the aerial footage looks awful. They are estimating that 80% of the city is underwater, some areas up to 15 - 20 feet, especially around the 9th Ward and New Orleans East. Obviously power is out for more than 1 million people on the coast, but there are also water main breaks, gas leaks around the city, and a number of fires that have broken out.

What's crazier is the warning of poisonous snakes, alligators, and fire ants that have been blown into the city. They are saying that it will be at least a week before they start letting any of the folks who evacuated back into the city.

So now I must figure out where the next move is from Austin as I continue to kill time and money waiting to come home to assess the damage. Of course the important thing is that I'm alive and all the folks who I know along the coast that I have been able to reach are safe. But my heart goes out to those who stayed to ride out the storm or who had no choice. If you notice who was left at the Superdome, you'll get an understanding of how things work in the city I live in. They have no sense of the death count in New Orleans at this point, but I can guarantee it won't look good. Water filled up homes in only a matter of minutes and they are saying that it is still rising at 1 inch per hour although it is starting to settle.

In any case, holler if you're in the south. I'm debating heading back to Detroit but shit, that's probably 1500 miles from where I am.

Peace.