I slept on Bobby Womack...Womack Appreciation

GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Dude. This is some serious shit. "If you think you're lonely now" is FUCKING killing it for me right now. LP Recommendations? Lesser known shit? Across 110th Street was obviously popularized by "Jackie Brown"...but damn...how'd I sleep on this? God damn he can build a track...

Comments

• yeah, i'm just starting to pick his stuff up too. right now i'm really into the song "what's your world" from the lp I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE WORLD IS COMING TO. short drum machine intro/break into this quasi-duet/call and response with some lady named sundray. big guitars, nice movements, horns, soulful backup vocals and a real full sound...and then it all drops out to these strings, bass, and drums with a certain wu-tang quality towards the end. love the vocals as well, bobby howling "girl, you're freakin' me out!" and "maybe we can groove together!?!" i think it's pretty danceable too, but that's a game-time decision. also enjoying the lp LOOKING FOR A LOVE AGAIN.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Title

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Title

Zing! Good one. LOL

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Title

Zing! Good one. LOL
    Damn...but then again, it could be a beautiful thing...I'm sure he could teach me a thing or two.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i just picked up "The Womack Live" and it's really fuggin good!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Check the tracks "How Could You Break My Heart" and "Inherit The Wind". The former is most easily found on DJ Spinna's "Strange Games" comp, the latter is, IIRC, on a Wilton Felder (he of the Crusaders) solo set.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Which Lp has the Gospel track "No Matter How High I Get, I'll Still Be Lookin' Up To You"?

Circa late 80's. Had a video too.

• Which Lp has the Gospel track "No Matter How High I Get, I'll Still Be Lookin' Up To You"?

It was on a Wilton Felder album on MCA. Can't recall the title at the moment. Womack was a guest vocalist.

Which Lp has the Gospel track "No Matter How High I Get, I'll Still Be Lookin' Up To You"?

It was on a Wilton Felder album on MCA. Can't recall the title at the moment. Womack was a guest vocalist.

Cool. I have the track on a greatest cd.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i like his early stuff the most.
    with the valentinos and post.

check out Fly Me To The Moon LP if you can grab it.
    just a nice mellow soul album.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Dude. This is some serious shit. "If you think you're lonely now" is FUCKING killing it for me right now. LP Recommendations? Lesser known shit? Across 110th Street was obviously popularized by "Jackie Brown"...but damn...how'd I sleep on this? God damn he can build a track...

i like his early stuff the most.
    with the valentinos and post.

check out Fly Me To The Moon LP if you can grab it.
    just a nice mellow soul album.

Fly me to the moon is nice, definitely an earlier soul style, but very dope. I also like his cover of the beatles "and i love her" off the understanding lp, which has been jacked by ayatollah and little brother, among others. Back in the day i had a copy of across 110th st. soundtrack, which is half womack, and half the jj johnson score, very uptempo and funky, bobby's got a pretty deep catalog, anyone know if he still plays shows...

From All Music:
    Womack pushed UA into letting him do a full album of country music, something he'd always loved but which the label regarded as commercially inadvisable (especially under the title Womack reportedly wanted to use: Step Aside, Charley Pride, Give Another Nigger a Try).

• From All Music:
    Womack pushed UA into letting him do a full album of country music, something he'd always loved but which the label regarded as commercially inadvisable (especially under the title Womack reportedly wanted to use: Step Aside, Charley Pride, Give Another Nigger a Try).

Bobby's country album (B.W. Goes C&W) is actually pretty good! For what it's worth, I like "I'd Be Ahead If I Could Quit While I'm Behind" so much that it's the most-played song on my personal iTunes at work...

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

SHOW SOME RESPECK

• "woman's got to have it"----ill bassline

"communication"---is that sly stone singing backup?

"i can understand it"---not as funky as new birth but an awesome cut

• SHOW SOME RESPECK

I used to have that elpee. It's...OKAY, but I'd rather show some R-E-S-P-E-C-T for his Minit/Liberty/UA stuff.

• at the rate we're going, bobby womack is the new curtis mayfield on this board. seems like a year and a half ago, there was a curtis appreciation thread popping up every couple of weeks, so now its bobby's turn, i reckon.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    like i said...i slept.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

SHOW SOME RESPECK

I used to have that elpee. It's...OKAY, but I'd rather show some R-E-S-P-E-C-T for his Minit/Liberty/UA stuff.

yeah, um, i was talking about the cover "art" more than the music. it looks like there's a vortex where his package should be... maybe a closer look is in order:

at the rate we're going, bobby womack is the new curtis mayfield on this board. seems like a year and a half ago, there was a curtis appreciation thread popping up every couple of weeks, so now its bobby's turn, i reckon.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    RIP.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Oh damn. I was really enjoying this thread up till now.
    RIP.

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    In memory of him and in reference to the title of this thread, this is how I got to know his music:
    It's 1984 or 85 and I am in my hometown of Hannover, Germany. The name Bobby Womack is familiar to me and through reading Blues & Soul I am aware both of his legendary status from older work and his recent appreciation by the Soul crowd of The Poet. But I do not have any of his records and sometimes wonder whether I am missing out on something while I spend my money on HipHop, Electro and Boogie.
    And then, one afternoon, I walk through a car park in the center of town when I get approached by a woman who asks me whether I have ever heard of Bobby Womack. I tell her that I have heard of him but not sure whether I have heard him. She just smiles, reaches into a large sport bag and gives me a copy of The Poet II.
    I am a bit startled and ask whether this is some kind of record label promotion to which she replies: "No. I just think that the world needs to hear this guy, so I bought 40 copies of his album to give to people."

• minimini 879 Posts
    R.I.P.