Gospel Truth Label Reccomendations

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
this is like Stax not talked about bastard child or somehitng, I never hear anyone ever say good things about this label but I've fond some nice stuff on it quite a few times. Just abot pick up everything I see on this subsidiary.good things:Clarence Smith[/b] "Whatever Happened To Love" - mix of traditional gospel and funk. "Motherless Child is the toughest version of heard of this track yetBlue Aquarius[/b] "S/T" - not really a reliigous LP, but has some nice funky psychadelic moments. The track Rock me Maharaja" is my personal favoriteLouise McCord[/b] "Tribute To Mahalia Jackson" - not a cover album of Mahalias tracks but rather a good gospel LP with one right hot funk burnerplease add on

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    anything by Rance Allen... dude's vocal range is INSANE... "hotline to jesus" is my jam...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The Maceo Woods LP is boring, but the cover is cool.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I have a few non-gospel 45's on the label that are seriously slammin. The two illest ones are these little-known funk monsters:

3207 Did You Hear Yourself Pt. I & II Randy Brown & Company
    3214 Bump And Boogie Pt. I & II The Wrecking Crew[/b]

Some other gems I have on there are by more well-known artists, like "Bump Meat/Nobody Wins Until the Game is Over" & "Dark Skinned Woman Pt. I & II" by Sir Mack Rice, "Betcha Didn't Know That" by Frederic Knight, and the entire output of Shirley "Woman to Woman" Brown, my fav being "It's Worth a Whippin'"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I have a few non-gospel 45's on the label that are seriously slammin. The two illest ones are these little-known funk monsters:

3207 Did You Hear Yourself Pt. I & II Randy Brown & Company[/b]

is this the same Randy Brown that made all those moder soul LP's on Parachute in the late 70's?

I'm loving the responses so far, outside of the Rance Allen LP's I wasn't aware of any of the stuff people have posted up

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    The sickest shit I have heard on the label is Sons of Truth "Message from the ghetto" psych-funk gospel...fuzz and everything, shit is

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

3207 Did You Hear Yourself Pt. I & II Randy Brown & Company[/b]

is this the same Randy Brown that made all those moder soul LP's on Parachute in the late 70's?

I honestly don't know, but it could be. The "Did You Hear Yourself" 45 is one of the best funk ones I own, crazed fuzzed out guitar and HEAVY beat.

I should point out that all the 45's I listed are on the "Truth" label, which is a side label of "Gospel Truth" where they put the secular stuff, so my answer was not quite a true response to your question, although they are essentially the same label.

• Annette May Thomas & Charles May - Songs Our Father Used To Sing. These 2 are the son and daughter of gospel legend Brother Joe May. Following a short run with Stax/Gospel Truth, Annette (one of my favorite female vocalists) joined Rev. James Cleveland's group. In addition, she released a few albums with her siblings under the name "The Fourth of May". Songs Our Father Used to Sing is an all-around incredible album, but "Keep My Baby Warm" is the gem of the LP, and the only secular tune.

• 3207 Did You Hear Yourself Pt. I & II Randy Brown & Company[/b]

I honestly don't know, but it could be. The "Did You Hear Yourself" 45 is one of the best funk ones I own, crazed fuzzed out guitar and HEAVY beat.

I should point out that all the 45's I listed are on the "Truth" label, which is a side label of "Gospel Truth" where they put the secular stuff, so my answer was not quite a true response to your question, although they are essentially the same label.

There was secular music on Gospel Truth and religious music on Truth.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "We're Gonna Have A Good Time," a 45 by Jacqui Verdell. If somebody ever does a "gospel funk" comp (NOT that half-baked collection on Acid Jazz), then this song has to be in the lineup.

• I like this label.

• Annette May Thomas & Charles May - Songs Our Father Used To Sing. These 2 are the son and daughter of gospel legend Brother Joe May. Following a short run with Stax/Gospel Truth, Annette (one of my favorite female vocalists) joined Rev. James Cleveland's group. In addition, she released a few albums with her siblings under the name "The Fourth of May". Songs Our Father Used to Sing is an all-around incredible album, but "Keep My Baby Warm" is the gem of the LP, and the only secular tune.

Not the best transfer (done through mic input), but here is "Keep My Baby Warm":

http://s31.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1C8MUN8XI7HLK11GJ5HIEGONQE

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Marion Gaines Singers

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Marion Gaines Singers

Truth - 'Leaning on the everlasting arms'

Includes a sublime version of 'Do your thing'.

Joshie Jo Armstead's 45 'I got the vibes' is a killer too.

Howard Lemon Singers delivers one decent track on their 'I am determined' LP. The rest I've heard from them is not great.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    anything by Rance Allen... dude's vocal range is INSANE... "hotline to jesus" is my jam...

i agree on rance allen. he's no secret to soulstrutters, but i still think he's a bit underrated. each album i listened to had at least one very good song!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

i agree on rance allen. he's no secret to soulstrutters, but i still think he's a bit underrated.

and he's an INSANE guitar player (see the WATTSTAX movie or hear the soundtrack)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I picked this up yesterday and it looks cool as fuck but I haven't had a chance to hear it yet:

is this LP going to suck, or does it live up to the art?

• anything by Rance Allen... dude's vocal range is INSANE... "hotline to jesus" is my jam...

• Marion Gaines Singers

"Grandma's Hands"!

Hey Pickwick, you ever hear J Verdell's "I'm Your Girl" on Decca?

love that one.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    guzz, this has the hookups approval

The sickest shit I have heard on the label is Sons of Truth "Message from the ghetto" psych-funk gospel...fuzz and everything, shit is

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

GULLY!

now I need to find a way to sneak out of work so I can go get stoned and hear good music.

(disclaimer: I am a stoned professional please do not attempt to recreate my gospel listening experiences without adult supervision)

• guzz, this has the hookups approval

GULLY!

now I need to find a way to sneak out of work so I can go get stoned and hear good music.

(disclaimer: I am a stoned professional please do not attempt to recreate my gospel listening experiences without adult supervision)

is it time for an intervention guzzo???
    they have that record on the wall at one of my spots for 30 bucks. i listened to it, it was cool, but i didnt think it was worth 30 bucks.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

GULLY!

is it time for an intervention guzzo???
    they have that record on the wall at one of my spots for 30 bucks. i listened to it, it was cool, but i didnt think it was worth 30 bucks.

I've been thinking about it, and intervention time was passed like 6 months ago. Now I got to wait 6 more motnhs before that window opens again

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Annette May Thomas & Charles May - Songs Our Father Used To Sing. These 2 are the son and daughter of gospel legend Brother Joe May. Following a short run with Stax/Gospel Truth, Annette (one of my favorite female vocalists) joined Rev. James Cleveland's group. In addition, she released a few albums with her siblings under the name "The Fourth of May". Songs Our Father Used to Sing is an all-around incredible album, but "Keep My Baby Warm" is the gem of the LP, and the only secular tune.

Co-sign. "Keep My Baby Warm" is amazing. I'm trying to license it right now for a comp. There's another song off the LP which is most definitely listenable.

• Has a few songs that I liked on it.

• Hey Pickwick, you ever hear J Verdell's "I'm Your Girl" on Decca?

love that one.

I think I have that one...I know I have some Jackie Verdell single on Decca, but the name escapes me and it must not have been very memorable. I'll listen again.

My fave Verdell record is the deep-soul "Why Not Give Me A Chance" on Peacock; prime stuff. Not a gospel record, but with those hard, churchy chord changes, it may as well be.