Dope Old-School Joints from Your Area Code

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited June 2014 in Strut Central
Hey 'Strutters,

Thinking back to my 'young boy' hip-hop days (and my Payroll Records connection), I thought of some old school joints from down in North Kakalak that were dope. Here are a few:

Yo, post some old-school joints from your area code (919 back then, what?).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Wink-D is of course from 2 Live Crew, but Candy Fresh and Dinky-D are from Austin...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

Lady I.C. & MC K.B. - Lady I.C. Is Here (Sunshine Records ÔÇÄ1988, Austin, TX)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

'85

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts

707 (Santa Rosa, Ca) 1995

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here's a local (919) joint yours truly banged out back in 2G. I produced the song for my dude Rodney's artist King Ayoola (in Raleigh, NC).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey DOR,

That Ghetto Concept joint took me back to the days of John Klemmer loops on Chess/Cadet Concept and ABC/Impulse (from the 'Waterfalls' joint) :real_headz: I tapped the shit out of 'All the Children Cried', 'Eruptions', and 'Intensity' back then.

Peace,

Big Stacks ftom Kakalak

Hey,

How could I forget these cats?

Raleigh, NC is represented!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    216 represent....DNA Level C

• beezerholmesbeezerholmes Edinburgh 59 Posts
    I come from a shitty town in the north of Scotland, so pickings are slim.

I went to this school two decades after this school band record (with Evelyn Glennie on it) came out, but the bandleader was one of my teachers, he never mentioned this record while i was there though.

I went to school for a bit in the same town as these guys, again, long after they had moved to New York to hang out with the hipsters at the Danceteria and whatnot. I met the drummer after he asked me for some recommendations in the record shop i worked in and i suggested his band, i already knew the guitarist in passing without knowing he was in this band.

Other than this, and The Kitchen Cynics guy (who was my art teacher) i struggle to think of anything that would trouble a guidebook. I found a picture of some groovy looking dudes in a band, in a friend's basement once, but when i researched them, they turned out to be a Motown covers band who never recorded anything. Turned out my friend's dad was in the band, fuck this place is small...

• beezerholmesbeezerholmes Edinburgh 59 Posts

I just found out that this rare "fairly easy-listening singer/songwriter stuff, with one longer psychy track featuring the guitarist from Pallas." record is from Aberdeen and featured my old art teacher on bass.

The fact anything remotely interesting has come out of that place always amazes me.

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts