Post a Good Documentary You Have Seen Recently

Comments

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Where the old BBSers at? Great 8 part mini series covering the history of BBSes and everything that came with it:

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    Nice! I used my local when I was kid... gonna czech this.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    My intro to the internet!

Jectwon, thanks for the posts!

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    Killer whales

discovery channel 1 hour special.

peace, stein...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Just peeped this on the plane home from Singapore.

Was pretty darn good IMO.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Highly recommended.

• the "battered bastards of baseball" is probably the best one i've seen in a while.

Meant to post this a few days ago:

PS-Available on netflix streaming...

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    The Source Family is better than good. Actual footage puts it over the top, for me.

(Netflix streaming, 8/mo, USA)

dukeofdelridge said:
    The Source Family is better than good. Actual footage puts it over the top, for me.

(Netflix streaming, 8/mo, USA)

Yeah that was a good one. It's funny watching all the inevitable progressive steps of a cult.

• Recently saw Wild Style, was very impressed and entertained.. just getting into the history of hip hop so this film may be old hat to some of you guys.

A more recent trip, saw Beats, Rhymes & Life: The Travels of a Tribe Called Quest - super great doc and an interesting insight into the behind the scene relationships between group members.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Only watched this last night, but I'm already saying this is a must-watch for everyone with half an interest in knowing actual history rather than just bullshit propaganda...

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts

just watched this one on Netflix. The premise sounds ridiculous (man who runs penis museum is on a quest to acquire a human specimen for the collection) but the characters are pretty good and it's pretty entertaining.

Last Chance High

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/n-B_kmAebbQ/hqdefault.jpg

This is a documentary series on a Chicago school for 'bad kids'...it's fucking sad, to be honest with you but I'm really glad I'm watching it. Seeing a kid go from being a totally mean and bullying piece of shit in school and then transform into a terrified and awkward kid when he visits his father in jail and just wants to know "if you still think about me" made me feel some type of way...I recommend you show this to any "pick yourself up by your bootstraps" type of person who has no idea how impossible that can be in certain environments.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Just watched the Divine documentary. Although I was aware of John Waters and Divine I never knew the whole story.
    Admittedly Im not a fan of either of the two but as a documentary its a good tale of how you can make it from nothing.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

I don't have time to see if anyone mentioned this before in this thread, but here it is: interviews with central figures of the Black Power movement to average folks on the street through the lens of Swedish reporters. Some stuff has already been heard before (courthouse jail interview with Angela Davis is also on the "Soul And Soledad" record). Worth it for the rare footage alone.

• The Eames: an Architect and a Painter doc was decent.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I recently copped the Spiderland reissue, which had this as a bonus, at the El Rey where they played. I saw this last night and thought it was interesting, having no familiarity with the Louisville punk scene whatsoever.

• Anyone seen the recent illmatic doc?

It's playing at our local film fest next week and wondering if it's worthwhile

thanks

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

• covecove 1,566 Posts

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I watched a doc recently about Qaddafi. I am now at peace with him getting stabbed in the asshole.

• Anybody seen Just Melvin, Just Evil?
    If you haven't, don't.

I watched "Downloaded," the one about Napster. It's ok. Kinda fun just to relive the old days when downloading mp3s seemed like the promise of some utopian future.

Watched Happy People of Tiaga.
    I was underwhelmed.

Looking forward to seeing this

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    streaming on netflix now

• I think you can get it on Netflix. It's beautiful!

Watched Cutie and the Boxer last night.
    Recommend.

• Did anyone else see the Banksy Does New York, HBO Doc??

I enjoyed it.

recently netflixed:

War Don Don (war crimes trial in Sierra Leone)
    E-Team (Human Rights Watch emergency team travels to fucked up places)
    Virunga (gorilla sanctuary in the middle of civil war in the Congo)

the three sort of complement each other, and they're all pretty good. Virunga has some snazzy production for the type of film it is, which kinda caught me by surprise.

also watched Loki - about Arnaldo Batista of Os Mutantes. Covers the basics about his life, I don't think there's anything in the film that you wouldn't learn about him after 5 minutes of basic research on the internet. Feels like even the archival research was limited to youtube and google image searches.