Constantine (Comicbook Releated)

SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
edited May 2014 in Strut Central
Hot damn, they are doing a Constantine TV series! And they didn't make him a mopy American (Keanu Reeves)!

I guess the success of Sleepy Hollow made this possible...

Comments

• OptimusLimeOptimusLime 227 Posts
    Seems fun, but the main guy annoys me for some reason. I'll give it a watch if the little one will let me.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I'm pleased they appear to have made him a scouser, as per the books, but points off for a scouse accent so unconvincing you could acquire a better one in the time it took to change trains at Lime Street.

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    Well considering the actor in question is Welsh and not from Merseyside county or Liverpool in particular is it surprising he is not a perfect fit for the accent? Oh course us colonists wouldn't know the diff.

DC hasn't had great success with transferring their properties to TV (Arrow is just a soap with costumes). I hope they get this one right. Hellblazer is a hell of a comic.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Saracenus said:
    DC hasn't had great success with transferring their properties to TV (Arrow is just a soap with costumes). I hope they get this one right. Hellblazer is a hell of a comic.

Arrow is the CW number one show and gets a thumbs up from the comic book community.
    It also takes some of its stylistic cues from the Dark Knight Nolan-verse, which folks are already familiar with.
    Smallville while weak IMO, went for 10 seasons, and The Flash is about to be spun-off from Arrow, which to me is a measure of its market share.

Constantine is gonna have to get a strong word of mouth to be successful since regular folks dont know who he is, like DC's common universe.

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    i kind of liked the keanu version.

• It's all about Preacher coming to TV..

batmon said:
    Saracenus said:

Arrow is the CW number one show and gets a thumbs up from the comic book community.
    It also takes some of its stylistic cues from the Dark Knight Nolan-verse, which folks are already familiar with.
    Smallville while weak IMO, went for 10 seasons, and The Flash is about to be spun-off from Arrow, which to me is a measure of its market share.

Constantine is gonna have to get a strong word of mouth to be successful since regular folks dont know who he is, like DC's common universe.

To clarify I am not saying Arrow isn't popular, I am saying that the version they have put up is one that I am growing more disenchanted with as the seasons wear on. I really liked the Longbow Hunters (Mike Grell) and the rebooted Green Arrow comic stories but that Ollie was older (43), more world weary and less whiny pretty boy. I am also getting sick of the selective stupidity the characters on Arrow are displaying. Don't get me wrong Ollie Queen in the comics was flawed and made mistakes but they were organic to his character and the story being told, not put in willy-nilly so a plot can work. Ugh.

I also remember the original Flash TV series (shudder). Hopefully the new one will be better. The less we talk about Smallville (excepting Cassandra Carver's vision of Lex's presidency, White House of Blood FTW!) and Lois and Clarke, the better we will be.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    At least they waited until Sting was too old to play him.

Ooof ! Sting as Constantine... that hurts my soul.

I really want this to be something good. I was so bummed the way SciFy took the life out of the Dresden Files (I know, not a comic book or DC). I love good Urban Fantasy. Give me Charles DeLint, Jim Butcher, Emma Bull or a host of other authors that work that particular genre. I would kill for a good version of Neil Gaiman's The Sandman on HBO as a mini-series. Hellblazer hits that sweet spot for me.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Saracenus said:
    Ooof ! Sting as Constantine... that hurts my soul.

He was initially based on Sting, or at least his look was.