Interpolations?

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
you got some 'splaining to do, i've never been clear on these things, ever since i used to read liner notes that say "this song contains an interpollation of...". Is it like you pay less because you've recorded your own version of someone else's work? Its not a cover tune, but just a series of a melody, so that's what I dont get about it...like rappers do it a lot except vocally (i.e. onyx slam based on maestro fresh wes' let your back bone slide..nah im joking haha) if that makes any sense. can you get sued on compositional rip offs that are so short? i remember there was a thread way back talking about some beastie boys issue on pass the mic, dont know if it was on the same issue though, i think that was sample related, can't remember. like say on lodi dodi by snoop, when they do the Sukiyaki thing, that one is obviously a reference/tribute to that song so obviously they're gonna obtain the credits for that. but there's so many songs that make you go like....ok that's definitely lifted from that. like there's a sublime tune where the guy sings in the melody of a beatles track "lady madonna" and im sure it wasn't credited.by the way,what are your fave interpolations? i was gonna say naughty by nature's chorus referenceing bob marley's "no woman no cry" on ghetto bastard, but then i realized that's a boney m track that they used, which is a great tune...i love eazy's e's "sippin on a 40" which is slippin into darkness(again its sung)

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    While they were not the first, Pink Floyd's Meddle album is one example. All copies just list that, but when the song was used for a compilation 10 years later, it was credited as "Fearless (interpolating "You'll Never Walk Alone")". I'm sure it's common practice on soundtracks, but it was the first time I had seen it on a rock album.

Ten years after that, once samples were being used and hooks were credited, the term was used again.

I think if the interpolation is small enough, it will slip by, consider it "homage". But when it becomes the hook, the chorus, then proper credit should be given. I did hear that Sir Mix-A-Lot were going to go after The Pussycat Dolls for using his hook as the chorus to "Don't Cha".

Personally I'd go after Nicole Scherzinger but...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

"Hello, this is a homage"

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Interpolation is replaying. Who knows why people do it, perhaps to pay tribute, to beef shit up a little, or perhaps because the original sample wasn't "open." You still have to clear it, though. Gotta pay to play.

The Beasties recent suit (James Newton) was a sample issue, not an interpolation.

There's a fine line between similar chord progressions and stealing some dudes shit. Or similar melodies. I like figuring out a favorite song, and then just keep playing it until it morphs into something of your own.

A favorite interpolation of mine is Ant Banks' 2 The Head, which interpolates The Blackbyrds' "Funky Junkie." I appreciate it for the fact that Banks didn't just replay a single melody, but he worked the whole song into his shit. Bassline, keys, and that little "loooooooord, have mercy" from the Blackbyrds appears as a little cheesy casio melody in Banks' chorus. Ant Banks is one of those producers who understands theory and chord structure, so his interpolations tend to be pretty "full bodied." Plus, he refers to himself as "The Big Dicked Gangsta Banksta," and you really can't fuck with that.

Not to mention his rhyme:

Many dues have been paid, many punks have been played

For the funky beats I made I get for my grade

I'm from the Dangerous Crew, I can't hang with you

Cause I'm from Oakland, bitch, where the game is true

You don't belive me? Well, come on slide through

Because the city of dope will give you somethin' to ride to

Put my tape in your deck and do some damages

But the six by nines, they can't handle this

I'm twenty-three so I'm far from a young buck

This gin and juice is gettin' me pumped up

Fake rappers get chumped up

You wanna slang'em, watch your face gettin' lumped up

Well, what's my name? You can call me Banks for short

You wanna book me? You're about to see a gangsta show

Cause I be tighter than tight, give me a brew and the mic

And it will be on like chickenbone, you know that's right

Some mothafuckas didn't belive that I can do this shit

Kick some funky ass rhymes with some beats that hits

Now I'm provin' them wrong but still suckas wanna clown

But you jealous mothafuckas ain't bringin' me down

I kept faith in myself, that's what I had to do

To make it out here and stop fuckin' with you

I'm 2 the head...

Yeah! Now all you fake niggaz get the fuck off my nuts!

• bambouche, it says I need a password to view mp3...??

bambouche, it says I need a password to view mp3...??

whoops. not any more.

By the way, the password is:
    I know you're envious, that's hella dumb to me
    Cause the shit I got, it didn't come for free
    Late nights in the studio bustin' my ass crack
    Tryin' to make hits, man, but where was your ass at?
    Probably on the corner drinkin' Old E, slangin' D
    See, you was sleepin, now everybody knows me

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Interpolation is replaying. Who knows why people do it, perhaps to pay tribute, to beef shit up a little, or perhaps because the original sample wasn't "open." You still have to clear it, though. Gotta pay to play.

Cheaper to pay for the rights to "cover" it than it is to sample it, ask for clearance, and wait for the big fee from not only the publisher, but the record label and sometimes the artist.

With an interpolation, I remember when that too was just a one-time fee, during the era when artists were against sampling. Now knowing the kind of money hip-hop can pull in, many will say "sure, sample me, but I want to be in the songwriting credit". Or in Barry Gibb's case, all of the credit.

It's important because not only will they get a regular royalty check for that use, but if the song itself gets covered by Kidz Bop or anyone else, the life of the song is extended. More $$$ than just the one-time fee.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    phuck, i slept on obtaining the rights to muddy watter's mannish boy not to hijack my own thread, but i thought of this great way to get rich. patent the motherphucking alphabet. everywhere you see text, you are collecting dough. k thats enough stupidness from me today.

The Beasties recent suit (James Newton) was a sample issue, not an interpolation.

There's a fine line between similar chord progressions and stealing some dudes shit. Or similar melodies. I like figuring out a favorite song, and then just keep playing it until it morphs into something of your own.

A favorite interpolation of mine is Ant Banks' 2 The Head, which interpolates The Blackbyrds' "Funky Junkie." I appreciate it for the fact that Banks didn't just replay a single melody, but he worked the whole song into his shit. Bassline, keys, and that little "loooooooord, have mercy" from the Blackbyrds appears as a little cheesy casio melody in Banks' chorus. Ant Banks is one of those producers who understands theory and chord structure, so his interpolations tend to be pretty "full bodied." Plus, he refers to himself as "The Big Dicked Gangsta Banksta," and you really can't fuck with that.

Not to mention his rhyme:

Many dues have been paid, many punks have been played
    For the funky beats I made I get for my grade
    I'm from the Dangerous Crew, I can't hang with you
    Cause I'm from Oakland, bitch, where the game is true
    You don't belive me? Well, come on slide through
    Because the city of dope will give you somethin' to ride to
    Put my tape in your deck and do some damages
    But the six by nines, they can't handle this
    I'm twenty-three so I'm far from a young buck
    This gin and juice is gettin' me pumped up
    Fake rappers get chumped up
    You wanna slang'em, watch your face gettin' lumped up
    Well, what's my name? You can call me Banks for short
    You wanna book me? You're about to see a gangsta show
    Cause I be tighter than tight, give me a brew and the mic
    And it will be on like chickenbone, you know that's right
    Some mothafuckas didn't belive that I can do this shit
    Kick some funky ass rhymes with some beats that hits
    Now I'm provin' them wrong but still suckas wanna clown
    But you jealous mothafuckas ain't bringin' me down
    I kept faith in myself, that's what I had to do
    To make it out here and stop fuckin' with you
    I'm 2 the head...

Yeah! Now all you fake niggaz get the fuck off my nuts!

Bambouche, thanks for the knowledge, enjoying that Banks track thoroughly. I'm always interested in producers that have an understanding of music theory/chord prog (i.e. count bass d) as their stuff tends to be more melodic. Would u recommend any Banks albums/productions in particular?
    peace

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    another interpolation example:

Outkast - "So Fresh, So Clean" interpolates Joe Simon's - "Before the Night is Over"

"take my hand and walk with me" lyrics and melody are interpolated into "ain't nobody dope as me"

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    people use interpolations b/c they only have to pay publishing, not sampling fees...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Instructor Mooselini's Rap (from Parappa the Rapper) basically interpolates Can's "Turtles Have Short Legs"....if that counts.

• girgir 329 Posts

HEY GUYS I'M A DJ TOO!

Would u recommend any Banks albums/productions in particular?

Are you kidding? Sure. (Sorry, I meant to respond to this thread, but the last two days were hectic.)

"Straight Hustlin'" works "Children Of Production" by Parliament.

Too Short's "All My Bitches Are Gone" -- which Banks produced, is a, well, duet between Banks and Short -- bites Wilson Pickett's "Shameless" from his I Want You LP. My money is on you not owning this particular Pickett record, cause it's not that good. But when you hear how they reworked it, man, ugh, fuck... That violin swell is so necessary.

This particular time, 93 - 96, in the Oakland (and Atlanta, as many Oakland folks transplanted to Atlanta, opening "Oakland City Studios" there) sound is my favorite, as Banks, Pee Wee, and Shorty B worked together and did a lot of interpolation/live instrumentation on the recordings. The three of them together made some fucking amazing tracks.

Albums worth looking for:
    Banks: Sittin on Somethin' Phat and The Big Bad Ass.
    Short: Get In Where You Fit In and Cocktails
    Banks produced Goldy's Land of Funk LP. The production is tight, but you have to sit through Goldy's rap, which, well...

There's a song on Short's Cocktails LP called "Sample the Funk" where he disses dudes that sample (You got problems and ya need ta solve em/ Ya shouldn???t of sampled wouldn???t of had dem problems/ If you???d have played your own shit/ You wouldn???t be broke, you woulda made ya long grip, bitch/ But that???s irrelevant now, my friend/ Cos they done wiped you clean like Ant Banks??? Benz/ Sittin on some three-piece AMG???s/ Better find you a sample, you ain???t playin these) while Banks, Pee Wee and Shorty B play "Funky Worm" live. Shit's funny.

Check your PMs. I hit you with some others...

Would u recommend any Banks albums/productions in particular?

Are you kidding? Sure. (Sorry, I meant to respond to this thread, but the last two days were hectic.)

"Straight Hustlin'" works "Children Of Production" by Parliament.

Too Short's "All My Bitches Are Gone" -- which Banks produced, is a, well, duet between Banks and Short -- bites Wilson Pickett's "Shameless" from his I Want You LP. My money is on you not owning this particular Pickett record, cause it's not that good. But when you hear how they reworked it, man, ugh, fuck... That violin swell is so necessary.

This particular time, 93 - 96, in the Oakland (and Atlanta, as many Oakland folks transplanted to Atlanta, opening "Oakland City Studios" there) sound is my favorite, as Banks, Pee Wee, and Shorty B worked together and did a lot of interpolation/live instrumentation on the recordings. The three of them together made some fucking amazing tracks.

Albums worth looking for:
    Banks: Sittin on Somethin' Phat and The Big Bad Ass.
    Short: Get In Where You Fit In and Cocktails
    Banks produced Goldy's Land of Funk LP. The production is tight, but you have to sit through Goldy's rap, which, well...

There's a song on Short's Cocktails LP called "Sample the Funk" where he disses dudes that sample (You got problems and ya need ta solve em/ Ya shouldn???t of sampled wouldn???t of had dem problems/ If you???d have played your own shit/ You wouldn???t be broke, you woulda made ya long grip, bitch/ But that???s irrelevant now, my friend/ Cos they done wiped you clean like Ant Banks??? Benz/ Sittin on some three-piece AMG???s/ Better find you a sample, you ain???t playin these) while Banks, Pee Wee and Shorty B play "Funky Worm" live. Shit's funny.

Check your PMs. I hit you with some others...

Bamb bambs, much thanks man! totally appreciate the time you took to drop knowledge. peace and i look forward to hearing it!
    peace

upon listening, this stuff is fresh, thanks again!