Lamb burger

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited April 2014 in Strut Central
Have to bring something to grill tonight for the game.
I don't have much time but I thought I would get some ground lamb and add in some
mint
parsley
minced onion
paprika
kosher salt

Sauce
Yogurt
garlic
mint
lemon

Am I forgetting any thing?

Comments

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Cumin
    And black pepper for once the patties are cooked

What fat %?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Zest that lemon

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    jjfad027 said:
    Cumin
    And black pepper for once the patties are cooked

What fat %?

Don't know, but I am not afraid of fat, also known as flavor.

I've got some Zaatar I'll bring for sprinkling after.
    I'll do some lemon zest.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    I am not afraid of fat

That's the spirit!

The concern is the opposite though. With burgers it's important to have at least 10% to 15% fat or they'll end up too dry. Get a nice slice of pork belly minced and mixed in if your lamb is too lean like it would be when it's cut from the leg.

Personally I'm more partial to rosemary than to mint when it comes to lamb. Since you're not afraid of the fat, I'd make a nice compound butter with rosemary, thyme and garlic, maybe even add a dash of cognac or armagnac if you have a bottle handy. Grilled slice of roasted eggplant on top. Eggplants act like a sponge for oil, I roast mine in a cast iron grill pan with no fat at all.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Yeah I was going to suggest adding fat if the mixture is too lean. Dryness is prob the easiest way to ruin a lamb burger.

Not sure what bread you're using but I really like English muffins for lamb burgers.

LaserWolf said:
    I'm more partial to rosemary than to mint when it comes to lamb.

Thanks thanks. I barely have time to mix in a few spices and onions, so I wont be doing much more today.
    I'm more of a mint guy today.

I was going to use some TJs flat bread, easy. English Muffin is funny, might try that instead.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    jjfad027 said:
    Cumin

without question!

For some reason I didn't want to do cumin, which I know is a basic lamb spice.
    I was going for more of an American burger flavor.

My market doesn't give the fat content, because fat is bad. So they give the lean content, lean is good.
    I got 85% lean, so good start.
    First added kosher salt and mushed it with spatula. Makes the meat stickier.
    Added just a small amount of garlic, paprika, parsley, mint*, minced onion.
    I got what I wanted, the lamb flavor came to the front, with the spice notes underneath.

For Tzatziki (or what I call tzatziki) I cut cucumber thin and small, since this was going on the bun, added to "Greek" yogurt, with lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, salt and some more mint.
    This was good enough for burgers, but I have done better.

I went with JJ's English Muffin suggestion. Very good for me because, I tend to make my burgers too big, this gave me a nice small target and grilled up beautifully and held the tzatziki. Will do again.

Greek yogurt.
    I like Trader Joes pretty good. Tastes Greek to me.
    But most others I have tried taste about like any other yogurt. This time I got Brown Cow. (Thanks Frank for inspiring me to go all out with the fat.) Would not use again for any kind of Mediterranean dish.

Which brands of Greek yogurt do all you all recommend?

*lemon mint from my yard, or what Frank would call, Estate Grown Organic Small Batch Citrus Mint.

If u dont have decent greek gurt you can just strain regular gurt until all that liquid junk leaves.

Re-mosturize w lemon juice, smashed garlic, zest, white pepper, salt, etc....remix.

Low fat YoMTV Raps Gurt is a no no. u want the fat which carries Da Flavor.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

*lemon mint from my yard, or what Frank would call, Estate Grown Organic Small Batch Citrus Mint.

You cheeky mutherfucker, you....

Frank said:
    LaserWolf said:

You cheeky mutherfucker, you....

:freeway: