Earth Wind & Fire these days?

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited April 2014 in Strut Central
Hey,
has anyone checked out EW&F recently? I want to see a good show, though its a steep ticket, so I just want to make sure their shows are still decent.

Also for Toronto heads, how's the Sony Centre as a venue? Never been...excited to finally check out Massey Hall to see Sharon Jones in June!

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Massey Hall, though tight seating quarters, is one of the city's best best venues. Sharon Jones will be great on that stage. I saw Siouxsie and The Banshees and The Stranglers there as a teen and Steely Dan when they did those LP tours a few years ago.
    I am a bit bummed I missed Jack DeJohnette there last month.
    It's rad.

I also think it's destined for some sort of make-over, so get to it before that happens.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    bassie said:
    Massey Hall, though tight seating quarters, is one of the city's best best venues. Sharon Jones will be great on that stage. I saw Siouxsie and The Banshees and The Stranglers there as a teen and Steely Dan when they did those LP tours a few years ago.
    I am a bit bummed I missed Jack DeJohnette there last month.
    It's rad.

I also think it's destined for some sort of make-over, so get to it before that happens.

Hey Bassie,
    ya, I just heard of the make over thing...apparently as its designed now, bands have to bring large equipment through the front doors and go directly towards the stage! I was paranoid ordering tickets as apparently there's sight lines that are blocked via pillars and stuff, but I think I did alright (on the balcony though).

What would you say are some other must-see venues in the city? I wanted to check out Massey for the last couple of years but waited for an act I really wanted to see, so I lucked out with Sharon Jones.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I saw Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan at Roy Thompson Hall was and it was PHENOMENAL. People jumped off the balcony - I am not shitting you. Dudes are landing on their heads, jumping up and running to the stage so they can shower him with money. Security was like WTF is even happening???!!!!

They apparently upgraded the acoustics about 10 years ago...which is after the Ali Khan show, so who knows how much better it is now. We had really good seats, though so I can't account for the whole place.
    I would still say try to see something there.

On a totally different scale - the backroom at The Piston has amazing sound. It's smaller than Supermarket and they really put in effort to building a proper sound. Warm and clean and lovely. One of the best parties in the city, Love Handle, happens on the third Saturday. You should check it out.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    They's comin to Ottawa too this summer... will be seein them for sure though I don't know what they're doing these days. Can't wait for the summer too start...

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    bassie said:
    I saw Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan at Roy Thompson Hall was and it was PHENOMENAL. People jumped off the balcony - I am not shitting you. Dudes are landing on their heads, jumping up and running to the stage so they can shower him with money. Security was like WTF is even happening???!!!!

They apparently upgraded the acoustics about 10 years ago...which is after the Ali Khan show, so who knows how much better it is now. We had really good seats, though so I can't account for the whole place.
    I would still say try to see something there.

On a totally different scale - the backroom at The Piston has amazing sound. It's smaller than Supermarket and they really put in effort to building a proper sound. Warm and clean and lovely. One of the best parties in the city, Love Handle, happens on the third Saturday. You should check it out.

Wow seeing Nusrat in a great musical environment must have been intense and magical! Jealous.

Thanks for The Piston/Love Handle recommendation, I shall check that out!

• i had tickets to a nusrat show but he died a few months before. i later worked with a girl who claimed to have partied hard with nusrat on several occasions.

you can check ewf`s more recent performances on youtube. maurice has retired and maybe there are like two og members left including verdeen. they have a great catalogue, you`re bound to enjoy yourself and they deserve to have respect paid to them but honestly it is a vegas act at this point and if funds are limited i am not sure i would prioritize this one.