'95 WOF on Forumusic: Help?

PattrickPattrick 57 Posts
edited April 2014 in Strut Central
http://www.forumusic.co.uk/wof_95.html

I'm trying to put together a definitive '95 WOF and it's proving to be tough! A conversation on VG+ raised a lot of questions:

- Should a '95 WOF only contain LPs that were sampled?
Some were insistent the '95WOF concept is firmly rooted in Roosevelt show discoveries and any other LPs that were heavily sampled by top US Hip Hop producers in the early 90s.

- If a record was cheap or easily sourced is it '95 Browser Bin?
Should much-sampled records that were cheap and easy to find back then be included? George Semper, Ronnie Foster, Jimmy McGriff, Weldon Irvine and Serge Gainsbourg were all cited as expensive now but cheap to pick up back in the day.

- Should first wave 'UBB' sample LPs be on the Wall?
The Incredible Bongo Band for example. Was it still on the wall in 1995 and even if it was should it be counted?

- Should sought-after LPs from the 90s Jazz, Soul and Latin scenes be included?
There was some debate about record shop walls having big hitters from these scenes but should they count? (The same walls had psych, Beatles etc...)

- 1995: Too early for library?
The general consensus was that 1995 was too early for library big-hitters. They had been collected (by some) since the late 80s but hadn't really crossed over into sampling.

- Were any of these 'psychier' LPs '95 WOF?
Fifty Foot Hose, Electric Prunes, Silver Apples?

Also:
Some confusion also comes from Mo Majid's 95beats Wall Of Fame CDs which were compiled closer to 1999 and appear to have stronger contenders for a 2000 WOF.

Any help or suggestions of additions / subtractions would be really appreciated.

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    I'd just expand the time-frame to the whole '90-'99 era* of rabid beat digging & sample spotting.

* not that there wasn't rabid beat digging and sample-spotting before or after, just that WOF thing makes me think of the nineties in general.

• PattrickPattrick 57 Posts
    Interesting. I have got rather stuck on the WOF concept as being all about that particular year when in actual fact it's probably much broader?

Maybe that 95 World of Beats CD gave rise to the whole notion in the first place, even though it's not a strictly '95 compilation?

.....exits to scratch chin and ponder.....

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Pattrick said:
    http://www.forumusic.co.uk/wof_95.html

IMO:

- Should a '95 WOF only contain LPs that were sampled?
    No. but 90%. did anyone significant use the Giant LP?

- If a record was cheap or easily sourced is it '95 Browser Bin?
    records werent always thaaaat easy to find. there was and is a big middle ground between wall and bin

- Should first wave 'UBB' sample LPs be on the Wall?
    The Incredible Bongo Band for example.
    game time decision. IBB is straddling the fence. obviosuly more wall than rufus thomas, but less than lafayette afro rock band

- Should sought-after LPs from the 90s Jazz, Soul and Latin scenes be included?
    no. we are talking wall as a concept emanating from the sample/beatdigging wet nouths, projected onto a record store wall. butcher covers need not apply for the moment

- 1995: Too early for library?
    id agree. but some definitely make it. the Big Beats, for example

- Were any of these 'psychier' LPs '95 WOF?
    Fifty Foot Hose, Electric Prunes, Silver Apples?
    nope. maybe 50 foot hose, (due to compage) but just barely

Also:
    Some confusion also comes from Mo Majid's 95beats Wall Of Fame CDs which were compiled closer to 1999 and appear to have stronger contenders for a 2000 WOF.

Any help or suggestions of additions / subtractions would be really appreciated.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    and early weldon was never that east to find. rcas moderately, but not bargain bin

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Apologies I*n, your email from weeks back got lost in the welter of spam and penis enlargement traffic.

I have no special insight on Wall 95, having departed "the game" probably 92. What I can say is that real wall experience in those pre-95 times was different on this side of the water, iirc.
    Merica was mostly about breaks and local funk 45raer on the wall, UK was largely about high end jazz stuff that Gilles n Forge would play, occasional Norman rare groove joints.
    Library was under the counter.

And Weldon was always a tough pull, even for the going rate. Every fucker wanted those.