Harvey Canal Loopmix1

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited March 2014 in Strut Central
Pulled an old Ensoniq EPS sampling keyboard out of storage recently and have been going through stacks of records trying make some nice loops. Here's my first attempt at trying to make a continuous mix out of those loops. I had never used Audacity for mixing before, so please excuse any awkward transitions...

Comments

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Not bad

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    I only use audacity for recording, didn't realise there are looping or editing functions... imagine it's a bit tricky.

Having a listen though, done alright with it. Get yourself a cracked ableton.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    I only use audacity for recording, didn't realise there are looping or editing functions... imagine it's a bit tricky.

Having a listen though, done alright with it. Get yourself a cracked ableton.

The looping was done on the EPS. Audacity was used to assemble the individual loops into a continuous mix.

Thanks for checking it out.

• minimini 879 Posts
    I like the 3rd loop.

And here is the second edition with all new loops...

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    the one at the 4 minute mark was nice!!
    it sounds like you might need to bounce them out of what ever you are using at a higher rate though, keep in mind soundcloud (if you are using the free service) only limits minutes not size so it pays to bounce it down as higher quality as you can (wav or flac if possible), all soundcloud streaming is 128kbps btw

the_dL said:
    the one at the 4 minute mark was nice!!
    it sounds like you might need to bounce them out of what ever you are using at a higher rate though, keep in mind soundcloud (if you are using the free service) only limits minutes not size so it pays to bounce it down as higher quality as you can (wav or flac if possible), all soundcloud streaming is 128kbps btw

Thank you, especially for the tip.

I'll be upgrading all my ish eventually.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Sounds good Harv. :thumb up here:

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Good stuff. I don't recognize any except what I think was a flip of that Freedom classic. Keep at it, HC.

• Who used the second loop?

First one sounds familiar as well.

Thanks!

dreskieboogie said:
    Who used the second loop?

First one sounds familiar as well.

Thanks!

The 2nd one (on the 1st mix) is a Booker T sample from the Melting Pot album. I imagine someone has used it as it's such a common album, but what I used was vastly slowed down and wound up sounding like an early Hiero loop to me.

The 1st one is Monk Higgins and although I can't find any online confirmation, I'm fairly certain I stumbled upon the sample to OG Style's Catch 'em Slippin'.

Just put up volume 3...

Bwahahahaha! I tried to post LoopMix4 to Soundcloud this morning and it got blocked for copyright infringement. The mix is comprised of loops I sampled from records, so what surprises me is that I've already been able to post 3 prior mixes chalked full of uncleared samples.

But here's the funny part. Soundcloud named the record their automatic system thinks I ripped off, and it's this...

I have to assume they are comparing it to the first track of my mix, which is this...

Granted, my track is just a loop of some Ramsey Lewis drums with some Bob James keys played over it, but to have Roland Clark's weaksauce track pop up...my my.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    thats odd, I have had stuff blocked before (mixes and the occasional edit) but the only time it gave me the wrong track ID when it blocked an oddisee track and called it something else (i assume it was originally released on a beat tape and this version was released later with Odisee Ken Starr and J-Live rapping on it).

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    I like

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Fuck yeah dude.

Nice.

nzshadow said:
    Fuck yeah dude.

Nice.

My man. Good to hear from you!