Ralph Bakshi

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited April 2014 in Strut Central
One of these days I???m going to talk about Ralph Bakshi.

really into a bakshi mode these days. i always liked the films but i never knew he was such a raconteur until i saw the doc for wizards on the utubes. is the there a proper doc that covers the breadth of the man's career?

Comments

• look out for this book: Unfiltered: The Complete Ralph Bakshi (The Force Behind Fritz the Cat, Mighty Mouse, Cool World, and The Lord of the Rings)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008SLXCBW?pc_redir=1395905467&robot_redir=1

a really good overview of his work.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I wish the Wizards OST had been released. I like the music in that a lot.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    james said:
    One of these days IÔÇÖm going to talk about Ralph Bakshi.

really into a bakshi mode these days. i always liked the films but i never knew he was such a raconteur until i saw the doc for wizards on the utubes. is the there a proper doc that covers the breadth of the man's career?

I think thats Peter Parker after Uncle Ben died.

That DVD set is mad trippy.

• Back in the day, I went to see "Cool World" at the dollar fiddy theater when I was 12 or 13.
    I used to spend an entire Saturday at this theater sneakin into movies after payin for one movie.
    I paid to see "Cool World" since I was kinda familiar with "Wizards" and always liked animation.
    I started watching and then realized that the movie was really, really shitty.
    It was at this point that I realized that even though I paid, I could just get up and leave and do something else.
    Man, that was a revelation for my nascent persona. I swore never to watch any new Bakshi movies again.
    So I gotta thank Ralph Bakshi for making me realize that life is too short to endure shitty art.
    But...
    I wonder if I missed out on anything Bakshi made after 1992. I've kinda always thought his best work was probably done before I was born. Also, I kinda remember reading some article about him (maybe in WaxPo) where he said something to the effect that he was one of the most ripped off artists ever which just made me think "Man...what an egotistical asshole." But maybe he wasn't. Who can speak on this?
    Waitaminnit. Didn't Bakshi do that Mighty Mouse remake in the 80's and heavily influence Kricfalusi?
    Maybe I've been too harsh. Hmm...

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    There is a good doc on netflix about him. I like his work. Fritz has a good soundtrack. The rotoscope work in fire and ice is cool