Portland Record Spots/Private Dealers

khadirkhadir 38 Posts
edited June 2013 in Strut Central
What's up Soulstrut! It's my homie Greg's birthday and he's coming out to Portland to drop cash on records. Can you put me up on some cool stores/thrifts and please especially PM me if you're a private dealer or know of anyone.

Greg has a Hip Hop label out of Cali and recently put out a record with MF Grimm called Good Morning Vietnam. His sites are www.vendettavinylvietnam.com and www.hiphopbattlefield.com

I'd appreciate any leads. He's a good dude and ready to spend money for cool records of any genre.

Peace, Khadir aka Matt

Comments

• Gratitude Records got that heat

By Appointment,

503 849 0333

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    You need Jump Jump Music. SS-related.

• khadirkhadir 38 Posts
    Thanks fellas, keep em coming. I appreciate it!

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Dunno if it's online but got a local tri fold brochure that listed all the record spots last time I was in town. The clerk at the 1st shop gave it to me after I asked if there where any other stores close. Everyday music, 360 vinyl, and 2nd ave are worth peeping.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    MiddleDean said:
    Gratitude Records got that heat

By Appointment,

503 849 0333

highly recommended

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Guzzo said:
    MiddleDean said:
    Gratitude Records got that heat

By Appointment,

503 849 0333

highly recommended

I second that emotion.
    Dude is dude.

• Bob the Orange on the board has alot of great latin records.
    Just got back from a digging trip...

He puts in work & has a lot of nice stuff

• MiddleDean said:
    Bob the Orange on the board has alot of great latin records.
    Just got back from a digging trip...

He puts in work & has a lot of nice stuff
    Thanks Tim! As he said, I mainly have latin records at the moment, but a have few other things too(soul/funk, psych, library, etc.) I'd be glad to hook the dude up.

• Partial bump. Making the trip to Portland in September. Any clubs/DJ nights of note worth checking out? Planning on hitting the city's Clyde Commons, Teardrops and Nostranas but recommendations for any local spots/dives worth drinking at very much appreciated. Thanks all!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Rev Shines does the Supper Set at Produce Row Cafe Tuesdays starting about 7.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    HI guys..... heading to Portland this coming weekend. Will be in town Friday - Tuesday. Anything of note worth checking out? Is bobtheorange still dealing? Gratitude records by private appointment only? Thanks for the help.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    facesd- Hit him up on instagram I believe it's boblanaranja

• Yo
    I Run Gratitude Records,

What are you into?

My Truck is getting painted but i could make some time for you.

I have 6 tables at crossroads so thats where most of my stuff goes.

With Gratitude

Tim 503 849 0333

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    MiddleDean said:
    Yo
    I Run Gratitude Records,

What are you into?

My Truck is getting painted but i could make some time for you.

I have 6 tables at crossroads so thats where most of my stuff goes.

With Gratitude

Tim 503 849 0333

Tim, thanks! What is crossroads? Like a flea market or something? Would like to check out your wares.... I'm into everything I guess....dabble a little bit in diff genres. Don't want to put you out at all.... but if you have a few tables up at a market or something..

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Coincidentally I'm going to be in Portland this weekend as well. I've been to crossroads a couple of times and always find cool stuff. Lots of great records for sure but pricing can be a bit off. There's like 30 or so dealers stock there so to each his own.

Want to get up to Mississippi as well if there's time. Curious of any other suggestions.

• Clinton St. Is the Shit.
    Exiled is good as well.

Everyday Music in beaverton is the least filtered of the 3.

Little axe has that weird.

Stop by Jump Jump to saw whatsup to LazerWolf

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    facesd said:

Tim, thanks! What is crossroads? Like a flea market or something? Would like to check out your wares.... I'm into everything I guess....dabble a little bit in diff genres. Don't want to put you out at all.... but if you have a few tables up at a market or something..

Not Tim, but...
    Crossroads Music

Blurb from website:
    CROSSROADS MUSIC is a unique music store located in Portland, Oregon. Our store consists of over 35 music dealers who each maintain their own inventory in our store on a consignment basis. Consequently, we have the largest selection of hard to find records, posters and CDs in Oregon, and reasonable prices, too!

I don't have anything to add to where to find vinyl in PDX but if you want a heads up on where the food is at...

Ok, we have food carts by the boatload. We have so many we have collections of carts clustered in "pods."
    * Good Food Here Pod (NE 43rd and Belmont) - Viking Soul Food, Herb's Mac & Cheese, and Timber's Dog House (great burgers and insane tots). All three are awesome.
    * (NE 52nd and Sandy) - Vivi's Yummy Rolls (good Pork and Chicken Bon Mi Sandwiches and their Tai Chicken Wings will fry your mouth), PDX671 (food from Guam, get the Shrimp Fritters). If Gluten Free is your thing there is a cart there that will make your mouth water.
    * (SW Alder, between 10th and 11th) - The Dump Truck (where else are you going to get a cheese burger dumpling?), Nong's Khao Man Gai (serves a single dish of rice, steamed chicken, with broth, but it has drawn foodies from all over the country), 60+ carts here. If you cannot find something good here, you have no taste.

Some brick and mortar faves:
    * Bunk Sandwiches/Bunk Bar (several locations): Their Cubano is amazing.
    * Uno Mas (amazing tacos, do the chef choice platter with 12 tacos for $20), Tails and Trotters (amazing Pork, get the Grindah!), Pie Spot, and Small Burger. All are on the block on NE 24th and Glisan.
    * Ox. If you got the money, treat yourself to this amazing restaurant (Argentine Inspired).
    * Killer Burger (Downtown and NE 47th/Sandy).
    * Pok Pok (authentic Thai street food).
    * Waffle Window
    * Pine State Biscuits
    * Voodoo Donuts (hyped, but the bacon maple is delicious).
    * Pho Gia (best Pho I have found so far in PDX)
    * What's The Scoop (The ice cream and toppings are crazy good).
    * Kenny and Zukes Deli Bar (get the pickle platter, tasty, good mixed drinks)
    * Tasty and Sons (good lord this food was good).

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Here's a decent record intinerary for Portland bound Strutters.

Inner east side loop.

Petit Provence for some croissant and chocolat chaud
    Casa de Dr Wu, hit the sales box, familiarize yourself with our local dialect, help pull some weeds while discussing local food fare.
    Mississippi Records
    Beacon Sound, mostly new stuff but I found some great 80-90s alt rock 45s
    walk next door at Pok Pok Noi for some insanely good Thai chicken wings (alternate mix: Lardo on Williams, great sandwich joint better than Bunks, hit this spot on the way from Mississippi Records)
    Jump Jump Music
    across to SE
    Exiled
    Crossroads
    Sonic Recollections, I usually just hit the new arrivals box
    Everyday Music
    and then dinner at one of a million great joints around town.

some faves:
    Ox, very expensive but the finest food in town right now, specializes in wood fire grilled meats, try the lamb chop or the maple mrined pork loin
    Clyde Common, great drinks too
    Castagna, very near Crossroads, Everyday etc
    Luce, ate there last night. Inexpensive very simple but excellent Italian
    Ciao Vito
    Pok Pok or Pok Pok Noi, must try the wings, Noi has less of a wait
    Mee Sen, good thai on Mississippi fun to people watch on the patio if the weather is nice
    Bombay Cricket Club, has good Indian, on Hawthorne near the end of the record loop.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Thanks to all! These are great suggestions. Really appreciate it!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Looking forward to meeting both of you.

Too bad you are coming a few weeks too early to catch the Night Owl Record Show.
    It is always the 2nd weekend in April and October. And worth a trip to Portland.