NCAA marchmadness2014

2»

Comments

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Zags got their asses kicked.

• I think it's funny that there's a college called Stephen Fucking Austin.

And to think it's located in a state run by demented homophobes...

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    yuichi said:
    Kentucky out-talented that Wichita team. They were bigger at every position. It's just not fair.

That dude Early on Wichita St. is kinda nice though.

Yea nothing says out talent like a 2 point game. Are you kidding. It was pretty much basket for basket the whole game. That pretty much means both teams had a lot of talent. In a close game it just takes a couple little mistakes to lose and that's collage ball. Early will be pro.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The way the brackets worked out, there will be a 10 or an 11 in the Elite 8.

• LazarusOblong said:
    I think it's funny that there's a college called Stephen Fucking Austin.

And to think it's located in a state run by demented homophobes...

• volumen said:
    yuichi said:
    Kentucky out-talented that Wichita team. They were bigger at every position. It's just not fair.

Yea nothing says out talent like a 2 point game. Are you kidding. It was pretty much basket for basket the whole game. That pretty much means both teams had a lot of talent. In a close game it just takes a couple little mistakes to lose and that's collage ball. Early will be pro.

I don't know, man. They did have more talent- WS plays better as a team, having spent a few years and a long tournament run together. But, Kentucky is every argument that the talent that a major conference can attract is superior to that sort of team continuity. In the end, a lot of people seem to see that as a good moral victory for WS, which says a ton about our expectations for mid-majors.

Is Stanford- a Pac12 team- beating Kansas an upset? WIll Stanford ever really be a "Cinderella"? Not in the sense a 5-seed Butler team was.

• volumen said:
    yuichi said:

kentucky fields a starting squad entirely over 6'6". with any semblance of talent, which they also have, that is devastating at the collegiate level. they didn't "out talent" anyone, they quite literally out-reached them... and didn't make the late mistake.

instant classic of a game though.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    volumen said:
    yuichi said:

kentucky fields a starting squad entirely over 6'6". with any semblance of talent, which they also have, that is devastating at the collegiate level. they didn't "out talent" anyone, they quite literally out-reached them... and didn't make the late mistake.

instant classic of a game though.

Yea, being the internet I wasn't sure if bigger was meant literally since it was used in conjunction with out-talented. I agree they were literally bigger and that helped them knock down some Wichita shots. It's tough to beat a taller team in college, no matter how good you are. Plus once it's top 10 teams vs each other any thing can happen.

Definitely a classic. The XM radio announcer was saying he's pretty sure he's never had to talk that much during a game and could barley keep up!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    What's happened in college hoops is that the "one and out" rule has really evened the playing field. BITD the teams that perennially dominated the top slots were able to do so by recruiting the best players AND getting them to stay a few years......now those teams who recruit the top players who bail after a year can be beat by a team of somewhat lesser players who do and have played together for 3-4 years.

I miss the big classic rivalries, but really enjoy the parody.

• i jocked the gators pretty hard this year and to be completely honest, after the mediocre first tournament game and the good enough second game doubts started to creep in.

then i remembered the game from the beginning of the month were michael frazier 2 absolutely blacked out against the gamecocks and that at any given time a hot florida can roll over any team in the tournament.

• Rockadelic said:

Think about it.

LazarusOblong said:
    Rockadelic said:

Think about it.

This is the first time in 35 years that at least one of the ACC "Big Four" have not been in the Sweet Sixteen.

Teams like North Carolina, Syracuse, Kansas and Duke who dominated in the past are gone.

The schools who manage to keep players for 4 years now have an advantage over the bigger names who go after the marquee "one and done" players.

The Duke - North Carolina-like rivalries are always exciting, but I also enjoy seeing David beat Goliath, and that seems to be happening more recently than in the past.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    he means...
    Rockadelic said:
    enjoy the parody.

cove said:
    he means...
    Rockadelic said:
    enjoy the parody.

I enjoy both the comedy and the parity!!

• Got 'Em Coach ÔÇÅ@GotEm_Coach Mar 23
    Lots of Cinderella stories this year. Remember the part in Cinderella where the NCAA weakened from early draft entry and poor AAU control?

imagine being the recruiter for kansas? "thanks for going out and getting two of the best prospects in the country a couple months ago, but they're leaving, so if you wouldn't mind going to do that again that'd be great."

• Marcus Paige (PG UNC) announced on Twitter he's returning for his JR year!!!!!
    ACC bias or not the Heels will have a deep skwad next year.......

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    Got 'Em Coach ÔÇÅ@GotEm_Coach Mar 23
    Lots of Cinderella stories this year. Remember the part in Cinderella where the NCAA weakened from early draft entry and poor AAU control?

imagine being the recruiter for kansas? "thanks for going out and getting two of the best prospects in the country a couple months ago, but they're leaving, so if you wouldn't mind going to do that again that'd be great."

Well if you're a team like Kentucky coached by Calipari you only need to get the alumni to pay off players and their families and you can rebuild every year.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I can deal with the one-and-one, but the possession arrow has to go before I'll watch college basketball.

• Rockadelic said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    Rockadelic said:

Think about it.

This is the first time in 35 years that at least one of the ACC "Big Four" have not been in the Sweet Sixteen.

Teams like North Carolina, Syracuse, Kansas and Duke who dominated in the past are gone.

The schools who manage to keep players for 4 years now have an advantage over the bigger names who go after the marquee "one and done" players.

The Duke - North Carolina-like rivalries are always exciting, but I also enjoy seeing David beat Goliath, and that seems to be happening more recently than in the past.

I agree, but damn I miss the glory days of the Big East from the '80s.

College basketball would be very much improved if the "one and done" became "two and through."

LazarusOblong said:

I just watched the 30 by 30 two hour special on the Big East the other night and it was awesome.

Pearl Washington & Walter Berry were two of the greatest college players that were NBA busts.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    LazarusOblong said:

I just watched the 30 by 30 two hour special on the Big East the other night and it was awesome.

Pearl Washington & Walter Berry were two of the greatest college players that were NBA busts.

Rafael Addison.

• what a phenomenal tournament this far... been a pleasure watching our hometown kid Nik Stauskas perform at such a high level.

vintageinfants said:
    what a phenomenal tournament this far... been a pleasure watching our hometown kid Nik Stauskas perform at such a high level.

Agreed....biggest disappointment for me so far was Niang going down for Iowa State....I thought they had a real shot until that happened

• Who knew Napier & Kaminsky would be two of the top stars in the tourney?

Sounds like a songwriting team from 1960.