Harlem explosion

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited March 2014 in Strut Central
Everyone ok??

Comments

• Options
    Texted Jonny earlier, him and his are good.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    bassie said:
    Everyone ok??
    That's a few blocks from my place. Two people reported dead, but don't know yet if it's anyone I would know.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Anyone heard from Daniel and his family?

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Not to seem insensitive, but why is this international news?

I'm sure shit like this happens in a lot of cities all the time. But we all need to care because it is New York? Maybe I'm missing something...there are no allegations of terrorism involved, are there?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    not to seem insensitive, but why are you posting?

I'm a little concerned that my daughter is gonna get some of that smoke, daycare shuttered but hopefully she'll be in a car home not the stroller. The daycare/preschool/pre-K center is actually not very far at all, from what I'm seeing the smoke is really thick down there.

Also waiting to hear back from people in my building to see if any windows are broken, but I think we'll probably be ok, we're about a block west and 10 blocks north.

D + fam live across the other side of Lenox and far enough up that they should be good.

You don't have to care about shit.

The higher value put on western lives is nothing new but given New York is a city full of people from all over the world, this is of interest to anyone with friends, family and loved ones there.

I am asking after SStrut people I care about, same way we did when JA got hit with a hurricane, same with the London bombing, etc etc - what's the issue?

Jonny_Paycheck said:

D + fam live across the other side of Lenox and far enough up that they should be good.

OK - That's good to hear - Thanks.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    No issue, and I understand the purpose of your post.

The amount of news coverage just seemed a little odd to me considering the circumstances. Perhaps not the right time/place to make that point, though.

I of course hope nobody here or any of their families and loved ones were injured or worse.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    )

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    shits pretty fucked up, people reporting gas smellz a few minutes before explosion
    im okay even though no one gave a shit enough to check on me, thanks guys

I freak out any time I smell gas in my building. which happens a lot in the winter, b/c it's an old building with an old boiler.

I mean, two buildings getting completely leveled in an explosion isn't the biggest deal in the world but I can understand why it's on the news. Slow news cycle, anyway.

PatrickCrazy said:
    shits pretty fucked up, people reporting gas smellz a few minutes before explosion
    im okay even though no one gave a shit enough to check on me, thanks guys

Arent u on the West side in the Ivory Coast?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Probably unrelated, but we had a bunch of alarms go off up here in the Bronx and it smells a bit like smoke. That's like 85 blocks away though. Surely the smoke isn't traveling that far?

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

I'm a little concerned that my daughter is gonna get some of that smoke, daycare shuttered but hopefully she'll be in a car home not the stroller. The daycare/preschool/pre-K center is actually not very far at all, from what I'm seeing the smoke is really thick down there.

I have an 18 month old girl at daycare and I'd flip if it were me. Can't imagine how stressed this is making you. I hope everything turns out fine.

I don't think Hollafame is being malicious, but yes, please post updates.

might sound weird I'm more concerned about the folks directly affected by this. despite a scary loud explosion and what I'm sure is not the nicest stuff to breathe in, my daughter is safe and in good hands. there's people that lost their homes and their lives, and others on the same block who are going to have to sleep tonight with no windows in what's supposed to be 20 degree weather.

I'm hearing that the landlord was having work done without permits/licenses, something that happens way more often than it should but is directly related to the gentrification conversation we were having the other week.

• Faux and his are good.

Jonny, I'm really glad to hear that you and yours are safe. Take care, buddy.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    It's not even a slow news cycle and this demanded coverage - as a building exploding in one of the world's centers should. Any argument on a story getting too much or too little coverage is pointless without specifics. Was it leading the news on BBC? All-day on CNN? Not on Fox? AOL's Patch all over it? Too many tweets? What stories were ignored at its expense? What are we talking about?

Glad to hear everyone's loved ones are safe.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    thanks for the check in, Johnny
    glad patrickcrazy is okay as well

that type of shit is scary!!!

where was the gentrification conversation thread?

)

• Options
    DB_Cooper said:
    Probably unrelated, but we had a bunch of alarms go off up here in the Bronx and it smells a bit like smoke. That's like 85 blocks away though. Surely the smoke isn't traveling that far?

I don't know where you are in the Bronx exactly, but there was also a basement fire in a building on Boston Rd today.

For a collapse of this magnitude they pull resources from far away as well, especially up in Harlem where they draw heavy from the South Bronx and that area. I saw companies from all the way up in the Fordham/Manhattan College area on the news coverage.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Sween said:
    DB_Cooper said:

I don't know where you are in the Bronx exactly, but there was also a basement fire in a building on Boston Rd today.

For a collapse of this magnitude they pull resources from far away as well, especially up in Harlem where they draw heavy from the South Bronx and that area. I saw companies from all the way up in the Fordham/Manhattan College area on the news coverage.

I'm right next to Fordham (New York Botanical Garden). Our buildings have some seriously old infrastructure, though, so it could have been internal.