Where'd all the Prince records go?

BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
edited March 2014 in Strut Central
Ya I know, everything is "drying up",
but I just realized I never seen Prince records anymore.
Like, never.

Maybe a random Around The World In A Day,
but dude its been forever since I saw a Controversy, Dirty Mind, etc in the field.

Maybe its another one of those "regional" things.

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I see a fair amount of them, but somehow never the ones I want. It's all like violently partied copies of the "I Wanna Be Your Lover" 45 or Lovesexys with much ballpoint commentary. Either that, or, about once every eighteen months I'll be in some spot where it's clear that they purchased the collection of a former Prince obsessive approximately a week before I got there, so by the time I show up I'm flipping through imported "Scandalous Sex Suite" cover variants or forty-dollar double vinyl bootlegs of Andre Cymone's outgoing-message tapes or whatever. When james cries.

Near the top of my Records That I Know Can Be Had For Cheap Online But That I Feel I Deserve To Find In The Field, Dammit list is an extra-crispy Parade. If I saw one of those in the wild, I would happily overpay by anywhere from twenty to thirty-five percent--just on some strength, you know?

A couple years ago I found a sealed Sign O' The Times for like three bucks and it made my week. Can it be that it was all so simple then.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I think I have the three or four that I need. I got railroaded into that weird Prince-adjacent zone and I didn't like it. Purple 3-5-7 Guitar Wizard or whatever.

Pretty sure I see Around The World the most often. I'll check.

dukeofdelridge said:
    Pretty sure I see Around The World the most often.
    I think this is probably true no matter where in America you live. That is for whatever reason a record that a lot of people did not choose to hang on to.

Around The World In A Day with the flap might be the 1980s equivalent of Roots with the calendar.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    james said:

Around The World In A Day with the flap might be the 1980s equivalent of Roots with the calendar.

from the perf to the earth, mine has no calendar
    but that's cool because flat circle and all that

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I agree.
    Seems the obsessive Prince collector disappeared over a decade ago.
    But his records don't turn up in top condition much.
    The exception is ps 45s of hits.
    They are all over the place.

ATWIAD must be uncool these days. As good or better than other titles from the same time.
    A lot of non-Prince fans did end up with it through their record club.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    never see the first two clean anymore.

the others all come in with frequency but tend to get snapped up.

I'm currently price gouging a sealed Sign 'O because, Dukic.

but I swear I've gotten the elusive "Black Album" in more frequently than "For You" at this point

who rides for Batman?

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    who rides for Batman?
    You know, that was a disproportionately important record for me and mine when it came out, but I tried listening to it sometime last year and had a tough time with it. In retrospect, I think our connection with it was mostly circumstantial. That shit kinda does not hold up.

I need to re-check Graffiti Bridge and, ahem, Come as well, but that'll all have to wait until I'm better-rested. And perhaps a tad slizzard.

Through a very convoluted chain of events, back in high school my best friend deputized me with buying the "Gett Off" cassingle for his evangelically chaste younger sister, who needed it for some cheerleading routine that she was--under protest--participating in. He was on some mas macho shit and she was virginal and shook, and neither one of them wanted anything to do with it; but I guess since I was a godless yankee/lapsed Catholic, they figured I'd have no problem crossing with silver the perfumed palm of a tiny devil so tan and pansexual. When I delivered it to her in their parents' kitchen, she acted like I was handing her plutonium. It was all very strange.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    who rides for Batman?

The Future - very cool electronica
    Electric Chair - Slept on Bat-Computer Funk
    The Arms of Orion - ehh....some R.Kelly/Celin Dion shit
    Partyman - Camillesque???? ehhh
    Vicki Waiting - Classic Prince
    Trust - wack but works in the film
    Lemon Crush - skip
    Scandalous - Top 3 Prince Slow Jam
    BatDance - wack until that Vicki Vale break @ 2:38

I could never listen to it straight thru, but there are some joints.
    Sounded like dude was trying to keep up w/ the times w/ this project.

Shit is wierd cause as much props as the film gets for its Comic book - Neo Noir visuals and the Directors hype/vision, the Prince soundtrack sounds nothing like what the movie looks and feels like. That "Computer Blue/Club Remix" off-ness gives it an appeal to me in its relationship w/ the film and as a twisted part of the Prince catalog.

Its NOT a big jump from the previous Parade......Oops.....LOVESEXY

batmon said:
    I could never listen to it straight thru, but there are some joints.
    Sounded like dude was trying to keep up w/ the times w/ this project.
    I'd agree with both of these. It gets said a lot that things really kind of took a turn for Prince once it became clear that he wasn't going to have a convincing answer to hip-hop, and I'm inclined to agree with that, too.

As far as the music that Prince made functioning as a soundtrack for the movie that Tim Burton made, that always struck me as some straight Chevy-Chase-as-Gerald-Ford shit: No real connection, no real resemblance, but it was a cool dude, doing his thing in a cool context, with buy-ins from other cool folks, and so culture at large--never wanting to seem uncool--just pretended that the pairing was right, when really it was all just very, very cool.

I liked the record, but I never really believed it as a soundtrack.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    The "Vicki Vale break"

That Batmon post is going to make me revisit Batman.

The first Prince that I ever owned - which were shoplifted - were the cassingles for "Diamonds & Pearls" and "Cream," both of which hold up for me.

I see For You fairly frequently in the greater Chicago area, *somewhat* clean.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    As a (former) avid Prince collector i noticed the prices of rare Prince wax took a nosedive about 6 years ago. By that time i already got all i needed, except some of the holy grail ones (Japanese red flexi discs, Hong Kong promo's etc.). My impression is that the collectors all kept their stuff because of the price drop / not wanting to part.
    The common albums and singles are still out there and the early stuff was always more difficult to find.

23 positions in a one-night stand!