Cali Drought

GatorToofGatorToof 582 Posts
edited February 2014 in Strut Central
Water is a raelly controversial issue in California because of the aqueduct used to move water from the San Francisco Bay Delta to the southern parts of the state including Los Angeles. The aqueduct is needed because people prefer to live near the coast of the Pacific Ocean and in Southern California where the climate is warm and sunny. Unfortunately, Northern Califoria and the Sierra Mountain range is where it rains and where 90% of CA water enters the river system. The Sacramento River and the San Joaquin both empty into the San Pablo Bay. Pumps, in close proximity to the San Pablo Bay, divert water into the CA Aqueduct and towards Southern California. This year, CA is having a severe drought. Kevin Johnson, the mayor of Sacramento, said that severe conservation efforts are to be implement in certain areas of the Sacramento.

What do you think? Califorina is becoming a desert? A flood will follow? Or there is nothing to worry about?

I think CA is on it's way to becoming a desert and that people in Southern CA and parts of Northern CA are stealing water. River and ground water levels are in decline, however; green lawns are all over the place, they are obviously irrigated. I think some of the irrigation water might find it's way back to the rivers, however; that is not the case with the water used to irrigate distant parts of Southern California.

:cry: :necessary:

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    GatorToof said:
    Califorina is becoming a dessert?

Forget about it, GatorToof. It's Chinatown. Delicious Chinatown.

• DB_Cooper said:
    GatorToof said:

:red:

• DB_Cooper said:
    GatorToof said:

And it's also a floor wax.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    There is no drought. Hydrologist made up the drought so that they could get work. Then Al Gore jumped on the bandwagon so that he could get paid. Going all around the country talking about a drought, but he still drinks WATER! Plus his jet is WATER cooled. There are emails that prove that UCLA Hydrologists lied about the drought. Don't worry about it, use all the water you want.

• LaserWolf said:
    There is no drought. Hydrologist made up the drought so that they could get work. Then Al Gore jumped on the bandwagon so that he could get paid. Going all around the country talking about a drought, but he still drinks WATER! Plus his jet is WATER cooled. There are emails that prove that UCLA Hydrologists lied about the drought. Don't worry about it, use all the water you want.

haha.

• Meanwhile the east coast and mid-west have record chills and plenty of snow.

b/w

Some Californian water users pay a flat rate while other pay as they go. I prefer pay as I go.

Any thoughts on metered vs. flat rate???

• I wouldn't eat too much of that popcorn, you'll get thirsty...

And there's no water to drink!

• Controller_7 said:
    I wouldn't eat too much of that popcorn, you'll get thirsty...

And there's no water to drink!

• Metered vs flat rate.

Can't make an informed opinion on that without the details my man. $5 a month and I can create a rice paddy in my backyard? I'm on board. $100 a month and I barely get to fill my canteen? Not cool!

I stay metered and I also say roll them sewage rates into property taxes, I don't want to see them monthly.

growing up in the 80s we had a drought in the Bay and one of my neighbors called the water police on my
    Mom for watering the lawn. She actually got a call from some sort of water police that threatened a citation.

• Water is going to be a huge issue this century. I live on the central coast of California and have been conserving water for the past few months and am looking into installing a gray-water system in our home. 2-3 minute showers for me and my wife bathes with our 2 little ones. Lawns should simply be outlawed in the southwest period. Had a great garden last year, might not even go that route this year. I understand the Hoover Dam is damn near close to not being able to generate electricity. Let that sink in for a moment. We simply lack the leadership to tackle this issue head on. Why are there not desalination plants up and down the coast? Also, regardless of the snow the rest of the nation is getting, our country as a whole uses water faster than the aquifers can replenish themselves. From agriculture to industry to our simple everyday use. Hell, we could create so many jobs just by retrofitting our cities to become more efficient with this dwindling resource. It's amazing how much we all use in our everyday lives.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I live between three different reservoirs in norcal. They are all at the lowest I've ever seen. Scary low. One of them supplies the water for a big chunk of the east bay (EBMUD). We're on a well, so we haven't been as affected by rationing and rate changes, but best believe I'm down to take the flatbed and a water pump down to the lake, loaded up with 55 gallon plastic drums. ;-)

• As someone from an area where water is cheap and plentiful (Upstate NY, with our thousands of lakes and waterways), I'm shocked at how flippant southern California is with water use, especially the desert areas. It's actually more stringent up here, both culturally and civically, which is very strange.

At some point there will have to be some major water pipelines from the great lakes area.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    This is a man-made drought caused by industrialization and greed. Only man can change the course of nature and be the savior that will rescue us from this certain armageddon. And I am that savior!! I am now offering for sale Water Credits to help reduce your water footprint and in effect save the Earth. So far many Hollywood celebrities have jumped on board and invested in the future of our Planet. U2 is about to release the first "water neutral" CD and I know many environmentally responsible musicians will follow. I am doing this for the children.

• Reynaldo said:
    I live between three different reservoirs in norcal. They are all at the lowest I've ever seen. Scary low. One of them supplies the water for a big chunk of the east bay (EBMUD). We're on a well, so we haven't been as affected by rationing and rate changes, but best believe I'm down to take the flatbed and a water pump down to the lake, loaded up with 55 gallon plastic drums. ;-)

you live in Valley Springs?!

• Here is an article from Fox News 40 about water rates using a Water-Bottling plant as an example of a large-scale water user, even though agricultural demand for water is much higher.

http://fox40.com/2014/02/21/councilmans-system-changes-how-residents-businesses-pay-for-water/

• I can't wait to ride a sandworm.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Reynaldo said:

you live in Valley Springs?!
    Born and raised.

• never been.