iOS 7 and Serato

MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts
edited February 2014 in Strut Central
Did not update to iOs 7 on my MacBook . I hear strange stories about how iTunes and Serato don't work together that well. Also heard the new iTunes s**ks....
Anyone?

Comments

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    MR_ZIMMS said:
    Did not update to iOs 7 on my MacBook . I hear strange stories about how iTunes and Serato don't work together that well. Also heard the new iTunes s**ks....
    Anyone?

Do you mean OS X Mavericks? The iOS line is for mobile devices not macbooks.

Assuming you mean OS X Mavericks (the fairly new mac os) I'm in the same boat as you. I haven't pulled the trigger on it because I don't know too much about how serato will react to it. I've looked into the matter with a few google searches and some people report a few odd issues (clicking sounds, random sound artifacts, etc) but those were back in october 2013. Most issues seem to be related to novation hardware and not specifically to the serato software in the os x mavericks environment.

Some people report that it improved their experience with serato.

I'm going to hold off for a bit longer but I'm probably being paranoid.

---

I have what I assume are a few really dumb questions for you, Zimms...I don't use iTunes so I have no idea how it works with serato. Mind telling me how your iTunes library currently works with Serato? Does it just organize your crates in the same manner as your music library? Or is there some other cool stuff too?

Thanks.

• Serato works fine on my Mavericks machine. Don't use iTunes, so I'm not sure about that.

Has anyone tried the new Serato DJ yet? Instead of Scratchlive...

• Jectone, it works Great.
    I tour with Female singer Caro Emerald for 3 years now and use Serato on stage as a turntablist in her band.
    It reads my iTunes library perfectly. Every time you put new stuff in your iTunes library you just needs to update but that's just a few clicks and like 3 seconds !

The only thing is, I want to update my iPhone with iOs 7 but keep the iTunes in my MacBook the way it is (older version). Is that possible ???

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I really need to spend more time w/ my Serato. Im crazy latte pas w/ it and havent really fucked w/ it.

batmon said:
    I really need to spend more time w/ my Serato. Im crazy latte pas w/ it and havent really fucked w/ it.

Do it. I dragged my feet on serato up until last year and I've really enjoyed it. It can definitely be used as a legitimate tool/third-hand instead of the crutch that so many people seem to accuse it of. If you make sure the track is accurately bpm'd the loop function becomes really fun...no more "I hope someone does a re-edit of such and such og track with an extended braek..." Fuck that you can do the re-edit your self and get loose with it immediately.

It's really fun.

MR_ZIMMS said:
    Jectone, it works Great.
    I tour with Female singer Caro Emerald for 3 years now and use Serato on stage as a turntablist in her band.
    It reads my iTunes library perfectly. Every time you put new stuff in your iTunes library you just needs to update but that's just a few clicks and like 3 seconds !

The only thing is, I want to update my iPhone with iOs 7 but keep the iTunes in my MacBook the way it is (older version). Is that possible ???

Oh I get it...my bad on the unneeded ios/osx education...it's a good question. I don't think that going to iOS7 will mess with the iTunes version on your actual macbook. Don't quote me on that yet (again, I don't fusk with iTunes so I'm fairly uninformed on the matter) but I'll look into the issue to see if there is a definitive answer somewhere.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Pretty sure you can update your phone without updating your iTunes. You can even update your phone without connecting it to your laptop, I think. Personally I like the new iTunes, as soon as you get used to it it's just as easy/hard to use as the others.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    JectWon said:
    batmon said:

Do it. I dragged my feet on serato up until last year and I've really enjoyed it. It can definitely be used as a legitimate tool/third-hand instead of the crutch that so many people seem to accuse it of. If you make sure the track is accurately bpm'd the loop function becomes really fun...no more "I hope someone does a re-edit of such and such og track with an extended braek..." Fuck that you can do the re-edit your self and get loose with it immediately.

It's really fun.

Yeah, my homegirl made me download the shit. "You 'old fucker', how u dont have....."
    She said if u kinda learn it u can bring your shit to person who has Serato and rock your files from there, vs. hey the next song on Itunes is........

But thats a small faction of my peoples that put the time into using it.

I was looking at using it as my default home player.