Santiago and Dominican Republic digging

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited February 2014 in Strut Central
Sorry to start another one of these threads but I did a search and didn't find anything.

Has anyone dug Dominican Republic? I will be in Santiago in June. Thanks for your time.

Comments

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    downtownrobbrown said:
    Sorry to start another one of these threads but I did a search and didn't find anything.

Has anyone dug Dominican Republic? I will be in Santiago in June. Thanks for your time.

There aren't any formal shops that I know of (I only spent a week there total so please take my advice with a heap of sea salt). The move in Santo Domingo is the antique shop scene. I am forgetting the exact locations, but there are probably 5 or 6 of them located en la Zona Colonial. You can easily find them by walking around, which you will want to do anyway because it's so beautiful.

Also, check out the Pulga de Antiguedades (Antiques Flea Market) at Plaza Maria del Toledo, also in Zona Colonial. I think it's either saturday or sunday. Ask somebody once you get there. There were two dudes selling skated 80s merengues, and one older dude with the heat.

If you see any 45s that say "Salve," pick them up for me. ;) It's the hottest early merengue shit!

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I also find it interesting that there are a lot of merengue jams that give props to Domingo de Guzman (aka Santo Domingo), who was a brutal Spanish inquisitor that converted shitloads of Cathar "heretics." Nothing like dancing to cheesy 80s merengue jams with these sorts of lyrics.

:face_melt:

• I was in Santo Domingo a few years ago and had some luck, although my timing was a bit off. I found a dude with thousands of records on a street right off the major pedestrian walk near the Zona Colonial. He was packing up for the day when I found him, but I got about 25 minutes of digging in. All salsa and merengue. There was a kid selling CDs in the pedestrian mall that directed me towards him...again, this was a few years ago. Who knows if he is still there.

It's an amazing city with great food and nightlife. You can wander around zona colonial for days without getting bored.

There are probably many in Zona Colonial, but my girlfriend and I found a great salsa bar / small club called El Sarten that is filled with old school salseros/as getting down to the classics. Merengue too.

Have fun!