bay area/ LA area recomendacciones

Comments

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    jjfad027 said:
    The Burma Superstar on Tele is terrible. I went there within the last year and it was bad. Noodles overcooked and everything was overly salted/garlicky. The one in Alameda is way better. I haven't been to the SF locations.
    Brown Sugar Cafe has some good soul food.

Wow, I ate there last week and it was great. The one in Alameda is definitely better, though, just for the much shorter wait times. It's quicker for me to drive all the way to Alameda to get a table than to walk over to the one on telegraph a few blocks from my house and wait 45 minutes for a table.

b/w

I STAY GORDO TIL I'M NO MORE

• STAY GORDO PONY BOY

• Burritos for life!

• "The different foods are touching each other!"

had to dig this one up out of the files because it was perfect for this. I kid Harv, but how you gonna try to play burritos like that?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    "The different foods are touching each other!"

had to dig this one up out of the files because it was perfect for this. I kid Harv, but how you gonna try to play burritos like that?

MEXICAN SUCKOTASH RAP.

It's about flavor or lack thereof, not different foods merely touching.

QUESADILLA CHANGED MY LIFE

• Like old times! Love it.

TheKindCromang said:

Now, that is funny!

• you people likely won't be able to handle what I'm about to say (I can hear the howls already), but let me let you all in on a lil secret....
    the real deal at Gordo's are the quesadillas, not the burritos.

believe me, I was as shocked as you are.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    you people likely won't be able to handle what I'm about to say (I can hear the howls already), but let me let you all in on a lil secret....

The quesadillas are great if you're not super hungry. But the real real deal is getting your super burrito grilled so you get the golden quesadilla crust with the contents of a burrito. As far as I know the location on telegraph is the only place that will willingly do this. I made the request at the Solano location and they gave me the soup Nazi scour. Never again.

• yeah I mean the crispy outer is why the quesadillas are so good. they will grill the burrito at the Geary (SF) location, but not the 9th/Irving one as far as I know.

Mario's La Fiesta on Telegraph (RIP) made a mean crispy grilled burrito.

rootlesscosmo said:
    you people likely won't be able to handle what I'm about to say (I can hear the howls already), but let me let you all in on a lil secret....

I actually was only half joking when I said this:

MusicaDelAlma said:
    QUESADILLA CHANGED MY LIFE

Quesadillas are called Super Suisas at El Farolito and cannot be fucked with (plus, they don't put rice in there).

Your SF recommendations look great, dude. Need to try that PPQ Dungeness spot ASAP.

• yup; Farolito kills it.

Cancun makes great quesadillas, too. This has evolved into my go-to order these days.

for those with an image in their heads of a Chevy's-style cold tortilla appetizer with coagulated cheese in the middle it's very hard to get the point across: but some of SF's best burrito shops have taken the quesadilla to a new level. It's basically a crispy grilled burrito (complete with meat, beans, rice, etc.) with a layer of melted cheese around the outside.

hard to beat that.

• MusicaDelAlma said:

Need to try that PPQ Dungeness spot ASAP.

it's the truth. vietnamese place. you basically order these two-person crab meals, complete with crispy rolls as an appetizer and these sick garlic noodles as a side. the crab comes in several varieties; I suggest the "spicy."

• For those driving south from SF to LA via the 101 I recommend these 3 stops.
    Hit Freakbeat in Sherman Oaks. This spot always has great records priced to
    move. Been killing there rafters lately (their wall is new LP's or reissues).
    Never walked out with nothing. They've had some nice soul selections roll
    in recently. After that hop back on the 101 and get off on Coldwater and hit
    up Hugo's. Order 3-4 taco's with the rice/bean cup they have, a coke and
    call it a day (food wise that is). Or saunter over to the Whole Foods across
    the street for your beverage of choice. Take in the nice balmy Socal weather
    while downing your taco's with dreams of raers floating in and out of your
    mind and ENJOY YOTHELF! After that head to Burbank and hit up Atomic.
    This spot gets little love but I think they have come down in price. Again, I
    always walk out of here with something. After this, and you still have energy,
    make your way towards H-Wood and hit up Counterpoint on Franklin. Don't
    really hear this spot mentioned much but I think it's a gem. I haven't peeped
    Record Jungle yet but I plan to. Records LA in downtown is another worthy
    peep. So many spots, so little time..

And here I thought quesadillas were confined to the children's menu.

• HarveyCanal said:
    And here I thought quesadillas were confined to the children's menu.

times done changed. took me a while to take the plunge, but I'm glad I did. steady quesadilla orders these days.

• The crispy tortilla is why I fox with the burrito at cancuns.

And subbing less rice for more cheese is a move most yakubian

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    The crispy tortilla is why I fox with the burrito at cancuns.

And subbing less rice for more cheese is a move most yakubian

It's all Yakubian ceremony on a flour tortilla.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    motown67 said:
    Musashi on Dwight and Shattuck??? Don't like that place at all.

What do you recommend in that genre? Just curious. I'm always looking for the next spot.

• "Yakubian Moves"

ALBUM IN STORES.

(or is it "Brand Yakubian?")

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    ayooooo
    didnt mean to start this and not post any thanks and all. didnt have soulstrut log in on phone, so i was unable to say hey. but i DID read everything yall wrote and even went over the burrito vs. harvey debate with a careful eye.

this was my first big trip with the gf and i got to say it was a beautiful beautiful unforgettable thing.
    couple days in eastbay, camping trip to mtTam, couple days in SF, buncha days at a friends farm operation in Pescadero (santacruzish). and then LA.

much time was spent hiking and bathing in hottubs. i didnt get to as many restaurants as i would have liked due to eating sweet sweet homecooked with friends and fam.

we did fuk with Burma Superstar where we had a splendid meal! wasnt familiar with burmese, but i likes a lot. thanks yall!

Duarte's was a charming spot near Pescadero...unfortunately pronounced "dwarts" by the locals. very decent fish fare and fancyish dranks in a fun old timey locale

couple other pg highlights:
    *seeing cosmo open up for dj erykah badu. she was not stellar, but very simpatico. made my girl happy. thick thick crowd wasnt fully ready for cosimodo, which spoke to their general level of stupidness since he is always on point
    *lands end trail up around to the presidio. full sunshine and fully medicated. forgot about baker beach unitl we walked across it. oops. i was willing to hang brains in solidarity, but my girl suggested i shouldnt
    *groove merchant always a highlight. finally met the brother peaceful rotation. my girl spent $3 on 5 records (not easy to do there). the next day i dropped 3 bills with Chris and another 3 bills for a friend (chris always makes it a pleasure to spend money)
    *bonnie dune in santa cruz. hikes on redwood fern gullys, hot bathtubs in the middle of fields overlooking forests and oceans, breakfast in (outdoor) bed overlooking same scenery. gooood livin
    *i saw a couple goats get slaughtered and skinned
    *castro motown dragshow was pretty off the hook. this was my girls bucket list, but i had a blast. pizza at Escape from New York late night wasnt bad at all
    *had the pleasure of meeting guzzo (goo-zo, not guh-zo, fyi) at his fly pad. shot the shit and copped some fun records during the too short visit. he even made a philly cat feel welcome with some "trading places" on the telly.

so much more, but i gotta run. ill post some pics if i can find some that arent shitty
    for real strut, you know i loves yall

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    yo Tony! glad to hear you had a good time. man that made me think about home, thanks for that.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    yeeeaaaaahman....some things the same, some totally different in 7 years since i been back.
    SF..,shake my head. toooo mucho dinero over there. google bus mayhem. :(

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Glad to get up with you even if it was short, Still need that trading places Sylvester soundalike ID. Enjoy that dual Accordian Jackson 5 jawn.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    glad you had a good trip. I was outta town, but holler at the boychik next time.

• tripledouble said:
    Duarte's was a charming spot near Pescadero...unfortunately pronounced "dwarts" by the locals. very decent fish fare and fancyish dranks in a fun old timey locale

That's because it's super Portuguese, and "Dwart" is how it's pronounced in the Azores. My wife's family is Azorean and her step-mom is a Duarte.

Back on topic: glad you had a good trip!

• hogginthefogg said:
    tripledouble said:

That's because it's super Portuguese, and "Dwart" is how it's pronounced in the Azores. My wife's family is Azorean and her step-mom is a Duarte.

Back on topic: glad you had a good trip!

thanks to the god for putting me up on that sushi spot too. salmon collar and golden era raps FTW