Camo Hatt or maybe not.....

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited February 2014 in Strut Central
So i just got finished running thru the first season of Living Single which is Queen Latifah's vehicle.
And I wondered who in the current generation of MC's will transcend their pocket and go on to doin movies/tv and shit.

LL has that cop show. Luda, I think was guesting in some films(Black dude amongst the main character for street cred). There's always the straight to "video"(probably streaming) sector where you see Pras & them shooting guns. I just saw Marky Mark in Shooter...he dont really count though. Common is on some cowboy era shit. Will is Will.

Who in this current (lets say 2000-2014) era of Hip Hop artists will catch the "i can get other money" bug, and expand their game 15 years from now?

Who do u think has a brand or is developing their brand for the other level?

Drake can return to that game.

Nikki seems like she's gonna Madonna herself.

This isnt about who u like....just about positioning and if the game is still fertile enuff to produce cats that can proceed.

And I dont focus on current Rap anymore to have a clear opinion.

Why hasnt Kanye dabbled?

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    TI
    Kanye's a prick and probably wouldn't take direction. Who would cast him for anything other than a cameo? Tell him to do somethin and he talmbout "YO, LEMME BE GREAT!"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The_Non said:

Kanye's a prick and probably wouldn't take direction. Who would cast him for anything other than a cameo? Tell him to do somethin and he talmbout "YO, LEMME BE GREAT!"

I imagine that West got alot of money without goin the acting route.

I also imagine alot of cats from the 80s who transitioned did so to expand their paper/brand.

Kayne seems like he's already upper echelon.

What random artist is gonna be on some tv show in 15 years and your gonna say.." I remember they were killin it for long minute on the mic"?

Good call on TI.

• GOLF WANG-IN' WITH MR COOPER

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Tyler the Creator. I don't think it would be much of a leap for him.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Sticking strictly to "new" cats, it's worth remembering Tyler's often said he's as interested in being behind the camera as in front of it. Given his level of ambition and how much he's achieved so far, I could see him doing well at either

Judging by his videos, Starlito seems to have a better grasp than most of how to put himself across on camera, and he certainly has the work ethic to make a success of acting. But it'd take a pretty hip casting director to put him in anything, given his cult figure status.

Danny Brown and A$AP Rocky are both pretty charismatic and more high-profile than someone like Lito, but live-on-stage charisma doesn't automatically translate to the on-camera variety. All the same, I could picture either of them getting offered acting gigs before they got much older. Action Bronson's another.

Actor-turnt-rapper seems to be the direction shit is going in right now, though - Drake, Gambino, Mack Wilds...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Freddie Gibbs. He's already dabbling in acting. I could see him taking off in it eventually. Maybe not leading man situations, but strong supporting roles.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Wasn't Gucci in a movie recently?
    But he might fall into the 'hard to direct' category, too.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    bassie said:
    Wasn't Gucci in a movie recently?
    But he might fall into the 'hard to direct' category, too.

Yeah, he was in Spring Breakers, which I quite liked.

Speaking of which, I nearly mentioned Riff Raff earlier, but James Franco's turn in that particular movie does present Jody Highroller with a unique dilemma if he ever secretly had designs on a movie career wherein he essentially played himself.

It seems 'Ye is working on something with Bret Easton Ellis, although Ellis is being a bit cagey about the precise nature of it.