State of the Strut - 2014 Edition

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i love the mix section and ive put some stuff up there that i think is amazing
    however there are probably 30% exellent mixes with over a 1000 listens and then a huge number of 50 click mixes

keeping the forum for us vets is really generous and making it an archive with forum for fans makes the mosts sense as easy maintenance is concerned

i still think the mix section could lead to new members

but with the no ad pledge i see this is a charity you have supported for a long time and you want it to kindof run itself at this point

• ppadilha said:
    speakmumbles said:
    incorporate soulstrut into a social network i.e. facebook

NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

+1

I'm guessing at least a half dozen regular posters here will be gone if this happens.

• batmon said:

how would instagram or twitter connect improve forum content?

having a soulstrut instragram feed would be fresh.

I don't think twitter is a good fit.

Facebook is weak but that's probably the common denominator at this point.

Every good thing must come to an end.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I think there is still tremendous value in having dialogue on this site. I need it for one.

If traffic is slow, there is always new blood out there. I attend those beatswapmeet events in LA, and just 10 or 20 people new loyal posters can be a difference maker....There's a fine line between alienating newbies completely, and being so diplomatic and robotic "welcome!". Part of the reason this site is great, is because there are all sorts of characters (including myself). When there are only 10 dudes running the show, it becomes some weird fraternity that doesn't allow "outsiders" to get comfortable.

Don't know if Vintageinfants has been a long-time lurker, but the dude injected some much-needed comedy/insight to the threads.

I do feel like I owe this site much though. Let me buy a t-shirt or two this time around.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    If you've got the right goods, waxidermy kills with the set sales. Ebay links on the other hand = super ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I don't even bother looking at the Classifieds.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Raj

I still check the site daily. In fact sometimes a couple times a day if there's a thread going that I like. Sometimes I check the mixes as well. The rest I don't look at. Cutting down the size of things would probably be good, but I would really miss this place if you shut it down. Just my 2 cents.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    RAJ said:
    speakmumbles said:
    topics can be started there and be replied to in the same way. classifieds would hit a bigger audience as well.

city guide is done since there are mobile apps and sites for that.

mixes are cool, but also post them on social networks and soundcloud.

obviously things would link back to the site, but forums are really dead in 2014.

Facebook = the Walmart of the Internet. Seriously, fuck that place.

very happy to see we are on the same page regarding FB. please dont get rid of the forums. endless knowledge and so much fun. has helped cure some of the worst hangovers.. i love this place, and even though it might be slower these days i still check it daily.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    inVrs said:
    RAJ said:
    speakmumbles said:
    topics can be started there and be replied to in the same way. classifieds would hit a bigger audience as well.

city guide is done since there are mobile apps and sites for that.

mixes are cool, but also post them on social networks and soundcloud.

obviously things would link back to the site, but forums are really dead in 2014.

Facebook = the Walmart of the Internet. Seriously, fuck that place.

very happy to see we are on the same page regarding FB. please dont get rid of the forums. endless knowledge and so much fun. has helped cure some of the worst hangovers.. i love this place, and even though it might be slower these days i still check it daily.

Seconded, FB is good to have tacked onto the side but it's not the same thing at all. Not even convinced that FB has as rosy as future as current numbers suggest. Like a lot of the old guard I first found this place through Motown67's great reviews - I think the site SEO has slipped a bit since then so that would be my first move for breathing a some new life into the site. If I Google Stark Reality I want to see the Strut up in those search results, nahmean?

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    I thought it was game over when I saw this this morning.

• you want to see what a thriving, positive community looks like? http://www.reddit.com/r/vinyl

if that's success, then a dying soulstrut has it pretty good. sure the golden era is over, people got older. maybe do a top 100 or top 25 threads and sticky them in their own board so new signups can see what this place was about.

• toby.d said:

I'm still getting this through both my phone and Firefox. Seems I can only access it via Safari on my Macbook. Weird.

• if we cold keep the message board going that would be great, there still is a community of knowledgeable people here. can't deal with facebook, twitter, whatever else. not sure there is any pressing need to keep any of the subforums. that said MORE SET SALES please.

• herbacios tweed said:
    you want to see what a thriving, positive community looks like? http://www.reddit.com/r/vinyl

if that's success, then a dying soulstrut has it pretty good. sure the golden era is over, people got older. maybe do a top 100 or top 25 threads and sticky them in their own board so new signups can see what this place was about.

http://m.imgur.com/a/9JVtw

Love it when people spend a fortune on hifi eqpt then got no tunes to play on it

• brutal

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    pcmr said:
    however there are probably 30% exellent mixes with over a 1000 listens and then a huge number of 50 click mixes
    humbleness isn't your forte

but yeah keep the mixes section

• damms said:
    pcmr said:

Haha.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Herm said:
    toby.d said:

I'm still getting this through both my phone and Firefox. Seems I can only access it via Safari on my Macbook. Weird.

Clear your browser cache.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Herm said:
    toby.d said:

Clear your browser cache.

I was seriously bummed when I went to the site this AM and got the spammy site. I didn't realize how much this site means to me till it appeared it was gone.

• parallax said:
    I was seriously bummed when I went to the site this AM and got the spammy site. I didn't realize how much this site means to me till it appeared it was gone.

THAT WAS THE PLAN...

;-)

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    parallax said:

THAT WAS THE PLAN...

;-)

Ha!

b/w

DON'T TOY WIFF MY EMOTOINS RAJ!!!1!!

• We're all older and a little or a lot slower, but this place is def part of my day to day. Wish the classifieds were hotter, the last bit of heat I pulled was a Stark from Skel a couple of yrs ago... I'm working ona list right now, it'll happen but it's not the priority it once was. Keep the mixes: the main Forum and the Classifieds, IMO. Archive the rest esp all the work Motown67 did. Strut without Bells might not be such a bad thing.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    damms said:
    pcmr said:

Haha.

haha oh shit i dont think i meant to post it that way (my mix skills are very basic compared to selection)
    i meant i had an amazing number of plays that surprised even me
    sorry

also skel sales were crazy i check the classifieds but its no longer poppin

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Cosing on not linking this site with fb. I love how this site feels like going into a record store. It's a part of the old world for me.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Soulstrut is like a faithful old dog who sits on the porch. She used to run and play and do tricks, but now she is content to sit there and watch the day go by. And occasionally I like to sit on the porch as well, feet up, and pat the dog's head. We may not do all the fun stuff we used to, but there's nothing wrong with that, and I'd much rather share a laugh with an old dog than have have RAJ put her out of her misery.

Don't kill the dog, RAJ. Please don't kill our dog.

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    I still check this forum on a daily basis, the other parts of the sight I probably don't check from year to year.
    So please keep the forum going Raj, but I certainly wouldn't object to the rest of the sight being put to rest.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    I think Rockadelic's 'With Music, Come Stories' posts alone display all the evidence I need to see in order to keep SoulStrut going.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    JectWon said:
    I think Rockadelic's 'With Music, Come Stories' posts alone display all the evidence I need to see in order to keep SoulStrut going.

Yes.

They're good enough that I've logged in and out three times, starting and deleting a "With Music, Cum Stories" jokepoast. Can't get myself to do it. (I really have nothing more than the title, maybe mentioning "I jerk off to Flight of the Valkyries or Xtina Beautiful" or some other good one can't decide.)

I was poking around the instagram thread, looking for you guys. Started looking at Nate Bizzophotos. Small-world crossover moves when I saw my friend liked one of his photos from a wholly non-record angle. It was cool--I was like "you know this dude?" We can't let this die. It's the only e-Nets place that's my pace. There's history, commitment, and genuine thought. Politi-threads excepted, I swear people discuss shit and still change their minds here. That's so rare these days! Even maybe some mind-changing in those too.

I dunno. This place evaporates and you'll have blood on your hands. Is all I'm saying bro.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Thanks for the forum Raj.
    :feelin_it: :real_headz:

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Dudes, I will have some quality set sale action happening soon

People hold on. Someone going to get very lucky on some library packs.

And a chunk of proceeds to the man like Raj to help keep this vital public utility : international treasure keeping on keeping on.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts