Those that have/had Tinnitus (Health-related)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited February 2014 in Strut Central
I know Waxidermy had a thread about this not too long ago, and there were plenty that had some form of tinnitus as a result of an extremely loud concert or two. I seemed to have developed a mild form of it, probably due to being close to the speakers and having it screach like hell from feedback one time.

I've had clinically diagnosed anxiety disorder for much of my adult life now, and this is just another frustrating and energy-depleting component of my life now it seems. So my question is, for those that have it or have recovered. What are your tried and true methods to manage/alleviate this nuisance?

Any out there that have COMPLETELY recovered from it? Or completely unbothered by it now? LEMME HEAR!

Comments

• Unfortunately there are no tried and true methods for dealing with tinnitus. Here are some general guidelines and things that might help , though.

- Stay hydrated, dehydration is an aggravating factor.

- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, chocolate, sugar and MSG (yeah, I know). If you decide to quit any of these altogether, do it slowly. Going cold turkey may produce a temporary worsening of symptoms.

- Natural supplements that have helped some include Lemon Bioflavonoids, Vinpocetine and Ginko Biloba. Vinpocetine might be the most effective, though there isn't much hard science yet. Fortunately, it's cheap and doesn't seem to have any side effects.

- Acupuncture has helped some. Try and find somebody with a larger training in traditional medicine. You mention feeling depleted in your post and depletion is considered an underlying cause of tinnitus in traditional Chinese medicine.

I don't know if you are on any medication for anxiety, but some of these have tinnitus as a possible side effect.

And even if it isn't an actual remedy, you might consider a white noise source of some kind, even just a fan. It won't help tinnitus at all, but it can make it less of a drag.

Hope some of this helps.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    It used to bug me a lot more than it does now, but I've likely got it for life-- years of loud concerts, headphones @ full blast, etc. during my younger years doomed me.
    You'll get so used to it you almost don't notice it. I had to actually think about it (prompted by this thread) to realize "oh, yeah.. there it is..."
    I guess the volume of the ringing has reduced over time, but I spent waaaayyyy too much time in extremely loud environments for years; I don't think it will ever go away entirely, my hearing has been way too damaged.

Obviously, an ounce of prevention: http://www.amazon.com/DownBeats-Reusable-Fidelity-Hearing-Protection/dp/B00A3Z44RM/

• Commiserations.
    Feels like a death sentence to start with but it's possible to accept it eventually and not let it get you down if it's a moderate form.
    Stress most definitely aggravates it. There's a psychological aspect to it.
    I got mine from cymbals/ loud guitars when I had a cold virus. Made it a bit worse through DJing.

• Had it pretty bad. Had to sleep with a fan on just to drown the noize out for a month or so - it really sucks. The level went down eventually and my reaction to it changed as well. It definitely gets better.

• JimBeam said:
    It used to bug me a lot more than it does now, but I've likely got it for life

Damage to your hearing is unlikely to improve much, but a fair number of people have had noticeable improvement with tinnitus with some of the things I mentioned above. Completely vanquishing it is probably unrealistic, but lessening it to the point where it doesn't bug the shit out of you is definitely possible.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Unfortunately there are no tried and true methods for dealing with tinnitus. Here are some general guidelines and things that might help , though.

- Stay hydrated, dehydration is an aggravating factor.

- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, chocolate, sugar and MSG (yeah, I know). If you decide to quit any of these altogether, do it slowly. Going cold turkey may produce a temporary worsening of symptoms.

- Natural supplements that have helped some include Lemon Bioflavonoids, Vinpocetine and Ginko Biloba. Vinpocetine might be the most effective, though there isn't much hard science yet. Fortunately, it's cheap and doesn't seem to have any side effects.

- Acupuncture has helped some. Try and find somebody with a larger training in traditional medicine. You mention feeling depleted in your post and depletion is considered an underlying cause of tinnitus in traditional Chinese medicine.

I don't know if you are on any medication for anxiety, but some of these have tinnitus as a possible side effect.

And even if it isn't an actual remedy, you might consider a white noise source of some kind, even just a fan. It won't help tinnitus at all, but it can make it less of a drag.

Hope some of this helps.

Excellent advice and most of the stuff I've read is consistent with the other stuff I've read online.

Trying to stay away from the fan or white noise machine as mine is probably relatively mild (for now).

As most have mentioned though, I was getting used to it, until this girl smacked me in my ear accidentally and got me worried again.

JimBeam said:
    It used to bug me a lot more than it does now, but I've likely got it for life-- years of loud concerts, headphones @ full blast, etc. during my younger years doomed me.
    You'll get so used to it you almost don't notice it. I had to actually think about it (prompted by this thread) to realize "oh, yeah.. there it is..."
    I guess the volume of the ringing has reduced over time, but I spent waaaayyyy too much time in extremely loud environments for years; I don't think it will ever go away entirely, my hearing has been way too damaged.

Obviously, an ounce of prevention: http://www.amazon.com/DownBeats-Reusable-Fidelity-Hearing-Protection/dp/B00A3Z44RM/

I did read a few stories online about full recovery (or not noticing it all) after a few month/years in some people's cases. And the guy who wrote that I believe is correct in saying that "Those that have recovered are unlikely to return to a depressing msg board full of horror stories".

Here's an article from PBS that describes it from a more scientific/psychiatric angle. It seems like there's a lot more research that needs to go into it. The fact that it's not life-threatening is probably another reason why, extensive research hasn't gone into it. I'm sure as with Lasik eye surgery, some sort of operation will come in the future that can reverse these effects since so many people (usually from loud concerts) has had a mild to severe problem with this.
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/science-july-dec13-tinnitus_11-06/

Horseleech said:
    JimBeam said:
    It used to bug me a lot more than it does now, but I've likely got it for life

Damage to your hearing is unlikely to improve much, but a fair number of people have had noticeable improvement with tinnitus with some of the things I mentioned above. Completely vanquishing it is probably unrealistic, but lessening it to the point where it doesn't bug the shit out of you is definitely possible.

I noticed that for much of the day anyway, you are subjected to sound anyway.

Random bit of info, but I read that amongst war veterans, tinnitus and hearing loss is more prevalent than PTSD. Public awareness of this shit needs to increase obviously.....

• Just be careful that you're not obsessing and manifesting it. I did that once. You mentioned anxiety. I'm pretty good at thinking something is wrong and almost making it happen. I had bad ringing for a bit once, even went to a doctor, but it was most likely me being stuffed up or something temporary, but my mind was crumbling with obsession over it and I'm sure I became hyper sensitive to it and overwhelmed.

My suggestion, take it as easy as possible. It's hard when you love music, but take it easy.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I've had a pretty serious case of tinnitus for years now, TBH I've gotten to the point where I've tuned it out. I only notice it when i think about it or when I'm in a very quiet environment. Like Controller said, you have to make an effort to not obsess about it. I've never found anything to alleviate it, but give those things a try and see if they work for you. More important, don't freak out if they don't work. You'll get used to it. I've come to think of the ring as a companion, I'd probably think something was wrong if my ears weren't ringing.

Can we file a class action suit against Zildjan and Marshall for destroying my hearing?

Just be careful that you're not obsessing and manifesting it.

Yup. For now, it's not that bad, just a light ringing when I am in a quiet room.

Like everyone here says, I've come to accept it for now. It's really not that bad considering all the other noises I hear on a daily basis. I will try different things and see what a ENT doctor might have to say.

Def listening to music at a lower volume to prevent further damage though.

• yuichi said:

Yup. For now, it's not that bad, just a light ringing when I am in a quiet room.

Is it constant?
    Or does it come and go?

When I'm stressed and/or hyped up on caffeine, it'll sneak in once in awhile, but it won't last.

How's your anxiety?
    Take care of that first, man.
    Good luck.

• I only had emergency health insurance when I had my episode, but I went to a doctor anyway. It cost $30 to blow one puff of air in my ear. It cost $80 for the dude who jotted down when I hear the beeping tones.

Just give your ears a break. Also try a decongestant. You can get a ringing from being congested in your ears.

BallzDeep said:
    yuichi said:

Is it constant?
    Or does it come and go?

When I'm stressed and/or hyped up on caffeine, it'll sneak in once in awhile, but it won't last.

How's your anxiety?
    Take care of that first, man.
    Good luck.

It's pretty much a constant, but I'm aiite. For the anxiety, been on low-dosage of prozac for like 7 years. No biggie.

Thanks for your concern. Was just curious if someone had gone through it, and "magically disappeared one day".

Controller7, I do have chronic congestion, so that's another reason why maybe I was more vulnerable to getting it.