Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Pretty amazing stuff...

Are there very many hip hop artist out there who have gone as long as De La and still able to rock it so well?

DAMN. Just over 2 weeks and this will be 25 years!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    DOR said:
    Pretty amazing stuff...

Are there very many hip hop artist out there who have gone as long as De La and still able to rock it so well?

DAMN. Just over 2 weeks and this will be 25 years!

They've been pretty damn consistent. I still love the first four albums, and I've got a lot of time for both AOI albums and The Grind Date.

A whole bunch of friends who don't really know De La outside of 3 Feet High have hit me up this morning asking for recommendations. I just said, "All of it."

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Damn... Maceo is starting to look like a Grandpa!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Maseo's starting to look like the father of an NFL 1st round draft pick.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Told you so. Free the music.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    To anyone interested...The Champs is a podcast that recently interviewed Maseo and I thought it was fucking awesome. Great stories about the group, the music some small world hiphop connections...including a story involving Keith Murray, Reggie Noble and angel dust.

At any rate, here is the link if anyone is interested... http://thechamps.libsyn.com/maseo-from-de-la-soul

B/W...A pile of revenue I create but I guess I don't get a cut cuz my rent's a month late....

• I've had to deal with a fair amount or rights/clearances over the last few years, and am totally ok with music and sampling law being a thing.

But, damn- if stuff like this starts to become unavailable to us, we are all the worse off for it.

File this (and Paul's Boutique, Biz, PE, et al) under a Grandfather clause, and make the world a better place.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Signed up for the free downloads by getting on the mailing list. But I haven't heard back and haven't received any links. Anyone having the same problem?

B/W - Maseo is a grandpa and like Harv said, the proud father of a potential first round pick in the NFL.

• JectWon said:
    To anyone interested...The Champs is a podcast that recently interviewed Maseo and I thought it was fucking awesome. Great stories about the group, the music some small world hiphop connections...including a story involving Keith Murray, Reggie Noble and angel dust.

It's cool Maseo agreed to go on this show... but dudes sound really uninformed.

What's "A Ghetto Thang"? Oh... it's a De La song!

:latte:

TheKindCromang said:
    JectWon said:

It's cool Maseo agreed to go on this show... but dudes sound really uninformed.

Yeah, they are two comedians...not hiphop historians. Neil Brennan is one of the writers/creators of The Chapelle Show. It's a weird show in that...they are (as you've noticed) fairly uninformed but they end up getting pretty cool stories out of their guests....you should hear the Big Daddy Kane interview, as well.

• Yeah, no, I get that they are comedians, and it's still enjoyable to listen to the interview, but seriously... it's like, do you know who you're talking to?!?! I guess it's kind of like Jackie Mason interviewing Jimi Hendrix. You get what you get.

• http://thecombatjackshow.com/dallas-penn/the-combat-jack-show-bun-b-and-maseo-de-la-soulspecial-a3c-episode/

Combat Jack show had an interview with Maseo where he talks about being a grandfather, opines on current hip hop, and gives perspective on what it was like for De La Soul when they were coming up. Haven't listened to the Champs interview yet so I don't know if this is redundant. But I do know that Combat Jack is very knowledgeable about rap history and has good questions/comments - he was there.

• phongone said:
    Signed up for the free downloads by getting on the mailing list. But I haven't heard back and haven't received any links. Anyone having the same problem?

signed up and an hour later had my links, downloaded and done!

• Also, the title of this thread made me think of this:

http://gummysoul.bandcamp.com/album/fela-soul-radio-edits

Snapping said:
    http://thecombatjackshow.com/dallas-penn/the-combat-jack-show-bun-b-and-maseo-de-la-soulspecial-a3c-episode/

Combat Jack show had an interview with Maseo where he talks about being a grandfather, opines on current hip hop, and gives perspective on what it was like for De La Soul when they were coming up. Haven't listened to the Champs interview yet so I don't know if this is redundant. But I do know that Combat Jack is very knowledgeable about rap history and has good questions/comments - he was there.

Thanks for sharing this. Just went to his site and it looks like there are a bunch of good interviews.

• I find the champs podcast really annoying.

Combat jack >>>>

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    well, if anything this served to introduce the two assistant editors I work with to De La Soul.

• Re-listening to the catalogue and gotta say, the AOI joints did NOT age well..

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The only things I still craved were a few of the loosies in the Rarities and Remixes bundle (which I understand was pretty exhaustive), but I snoozed and missed it. Oh, well.

Very little seems to have been made of the fact that quite a bit of it appeared to have been sourced from janky Russian mp3 blogs. Also, a few notable Rap Twitter/music critic types - Noz, Craig Jenkins, Chris Weingarten, to name three - wondered out loud whether the simple matter of the freeness wasn't the real draw here. After all, it wasn't as if the entire De La catalogue hadn't always been available to anyone prepared to pay for it (or even do a torrent search).

• Weird that the mp3s came from bootleg sites, but that's probably the fault of an intern or something. It's strange that they couldn't come up with CDs to rip. I could have hooked them up on the first 4 CDs.

Anyways, it seems like there was a lot of bellyaching over this whole thing, like complaining about it taking a couple hours to get the email. They're free mp3s! All they asked for was your first name and an email address. And these aren't incredibly hard to come by.

The most recent album on there was from 2001. People were cool waiting 13 years to peep, but fuck them de la dudes for making me wait an 2 extra hours.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    StoneHands said:
    Re-listening to the catalogue and gotta say, the AOI joints did NOT age well..

I had actually never listened to those the first time, but I thought Mosaic Thump is really not bad at all. A couple of hot singles, good production, it seems like a decent album to me. But maybe I'll feel differently after I listen to it 6 or 7 more times?

I was actually feeling that one track on the Rarities files from the "Are You In?" mixtape/album from several years back. It's the first I had heard of it, and it was apparently some iTunes Nike promotional thingy. It is apparently not available on iTunes anymore except on the Maltese iTunes store. Does anyone have a copy of the whole thing? There are 2 other tracks on youtube which sound pretty good to me, I'd like to check out the whole thing.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Spent 4 hours in the car traveling from Miami to Orlando to DJ a party with Maseo.. Think I enjoyed the ride more than the party. Mase did the laugh from the Gorilliz song 3 out of the 4 our ride.. We chopped it up over ice cream sandwiches, he said the wording in the early contracts is what stopped the digital distribution more so than sample clearances. The stipulation is the music could be available all world wide but the internet can project into the Universe. Interesting conversation burning it down the highway we got to speculating on the satellites and just how far they can go.