"T Plays it Cool" Question

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited February 2014 in Strut Central
that's a drum loop right?

so hate get all timmydigalot on the strut but is this the first instance of a "funky" drum loop on a record? what other early examples can be pointed to?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I think there was a thread on this a while ago, and I recall "loop" was determined.

• Tape loop

Or

The most precise drummer ever.

• Controller_7 said:
    Tape loop

Or

The most precise drummer ever.

btw. this robot sounds white.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    I assume there is more being looped than just the drums. Seems like some of the synths were looped and layered a bit, as well. Assuming the linear notes are accurate and that Marvin did indeed play all synths and keyboards on the track, then I'm almost willing to say they had to loop and or layer alternate takes into the final product.

B/W

Wow...didn't know until just now that Marvin played a fuck load of the instruments on Trouble man...including the drums.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Marvin was a session drummer for Motown.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Marvin was a session drummer for Motown.

I think his drumming experience is likely one of the reasons his lyrical cadence is so good.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    Interesting topic, especially given that this is one of favourite drum tracks ever, sound-wise, and the feel. So funky

• http://www.npr.org/2012/11/19/165482376/40-years-since-marvin-gayes-forgotten-classic

TREVOR LAWRENCE: "Yeah that's - Yes. And if you listen to it closely now, what you'll notice is that it's a loop. The drum - the drum is a drum loop. Now back in '72 there were no samplers. What they did was they took a piece of tape and they had the two track tape machine, and they made that pattern that made a loop like a figure eight around the tip - rim, which I'd never seen before."

• Well that's something I learned today!

• so, what are other early tracks that use a tape loop for the drums?

• crabmongerfunk said:
    so, what are other early tracks that use a tape loop for the drums?

• crabmongerfunk said:

• i doubt that on super freak it??s a loop.... how would they edit the bridge and the break?
    or is this a known fact and i??m trippin???

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

In 1979, Roger Taylor added a drum loop on Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust", on John Deacon's insistence, but "under protest", because he did not like the drums to be produced in that way.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    JectWon said:

In 1979, Roger Taylor added a drum loop on Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust", on John Deacon's insistence, but "under protest", because he did not like the drums to be produced in that way.

This quote suggests it was a well know, and perhaps not uncommon, production technique by '79.

b/w

That Beatles one is great.