Don't sample a sample when your sampling

Comments

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Hi Soulstrut. Long time no see.

Aaron Fuchs is the largest asshole to ever come out of the hip hops. Really, this dude is the clown king.

• That article has some of the most pretentious comments I've ever seen

• TheKindCromang said:
    That article has some of the most pretentious comments I've ever seen

"Eventually it becomes a Kwisatz Haderach."
    "Theseus would like a few words with you."

:dead:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    It's like the D&D branch of Waxidermy.

• I know it's Fuchs and I should just chalk it up but GODDAMN this is so fucking ridiculously bullshit.

Frank Ocean definitely should have cleared the Mary J interpolation and hopefully did (as well as the Jimi Hendrix break and a few other things) but the interp of "Real Love" is strictly of Mary's vocals and lyrics, has absolutely NO part whatsoever of "Impeach" in it and it will set yet another awful precedent if Fuchs gets any money for it.

Paging DocMcCoy: is it standard practice to pay out every rights holder on something like this, or would the nature of the interpolation allow for them to just pay those responsible for the lyrics/melody? It's obviously not a master sample...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Paging DocMcCoy: is it standard practice to pay out every rights holder on something like this, or would the nature of the interpolation allow for them to just pay those responsible for the lyrics/melody? It's obviously not a master sample...

Nah, Fuchs has a legit claim here. Most people would assume his interest must be derived from the break alone, and of course they'd be right - up to a point. But he owns both sets of rights for ITP, masters and publishing. Roy C is down as a co-composer of Real Love and Top Billin', so by extension Fuchs has an interest at publishing level (in decreasing increments) in any new composition that uses ITP, Top Billin' or Real Love. It's the composition that's the issue here, and you can't really treat it like a visit to the salad bar in a situation like this.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    That article has some of the most pretentious comments I've ever seen

The AV Club is one of the very few places where I think reading the comments is worthwhile.

:lalala: