edited February 2014 in Strut Central
Is this a cover?

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Is this off of a European record?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    james said:

Yes....the Hiltonaires on Europa.......most of the cuts are covers.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    james said:

Yes....the Hiltonaires on Europa.......most of the cuts are covers.
    Yeah, I ask because while I'm not familiar with that particular song, I'm very familiar with the sound: that one track--very often kind of a midtempo soul-disco thing with burred, Chris Rea-style vocals and maybe some rock moves sprinkled here and there--on an otherwise mostly tepid European record, one track that's so convincing that you're like "Man, that's got to be a cover," but it turns out to instead be a very studied, well-executed approximation. The apex of this sound might be Stretch's "Why Did You Do It." I have a grip of records like this, from way back when I would go record shopping with a portable and was easier to please. I'd hear forty-five seconds of that, and boom, $3.99, gone. Now it's 2014 and I have all these Supermax records and shit. Oof.

But yeah, I say all that just to say this: I don't think that's a cover. I just don't get that vibe from it.

(In a side note: five bucks says that one of these dudes went on to join some outfit that's got like fifty records on Ariola, each more grueling than the last.)