Skinny Puppy bills Pentagon for using its music to torture

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Good for them. Fuck Gitmo.

On a related note: I remember reading an investigative piece in Rolling Stone sometime in the early to mid-nineties about a group of homeless/squatter California teens who were ritualistically torturing and killing the weaker members. When they interviewed the ringleader after the fact, he said that it had started as run-of-the-mill hazing, but that it had been pushed over the edge by the Skinny Puppy's "Worlock."

I mean, Rabies was a big record for my crowd back then, too, but damn.

But yeah, I always wonder what it's like for an artist to hear stuff like this about their music.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    No doubt they were waiting for the people who order the torture to be prosecuted.
    Sadly only whistle blowers have been.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    $666,000 in royalties?! LOL - what. a. fucking. joke.

That guy doesn't give a sweaty fuck about the prisoners who were tortured. He just wants some exposure/$

At the very least, he could pretend to care by saying he plans on donating the funds to Amnesty Int'l (or wherever) if his case is successful.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    This video aired every afternoon on Austin Music Network back during the late-80's/early 90's...

• parallax said:

I think you're taking that figure a little too seriously.

b/w

He's probably just mad that they considered their music to be torture.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The President closed Gitmo about 5 years ago through an Executive Order.

They must still be hanging around for the music.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    The President closed Gitmo about 5 years ago through an Executive Order.

They must still be hanging around for the music.

It's the new Ibiza. They even came out with a whole line of Gitmo dress code compatible raver fashion that's all in orange:

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Frank said:

I WANT TO WATERBOARD THIS DUDE.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Frank said:

I WANT TO WATERBOARD THIS DUDE.

That's what the funnel is for!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    parallax said:

That guy doesn't give a sweaty fuck about the prisoners who were tortured. He just wants some exposure/$

At the very least, he could pretend to care by saying he plans on donating the funds to Amnesty Int'l (or wherever) if his case is successful.

It was either that or $666. It's clearly a joke to get attention and if they get paid all the better. It's either a well thought art prank or a dumb joke, either way it's funny.

• On 22 January 2009, President Obama signed executive orders directing the CIA to shut what remains of its network of "secret" prisons and ordering the closing of the Guant??namo detention camp within a year.[38] However, he postponed difficult decisions on the details for at least six months.[39]

As of December 2013, the U.S. government has yet to close the detention camp.

On 7 March 2011, President Obama issued an executive order that permits ongoing indefinite detention of Guant??namo detainees.[40] The National Defense Authorization Act for 2012 would have authorized indefinite detention of suspected terrorists,[41] but enforcement of the relevant section was blocked by a federal court on 16 May 2012,[42] ruling on a suit brought by a number of private citizens, including Chris Hedges, Daniel Ellsberg, Noam Chomsky, and Birgitta Jonsdottir.[43] The government sidestepped the ruling, however, saying "The government construes this Court???s Order as applying only as to the named plaintiffs in this suit."[44]