That new Southern Comfort commercial..

The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
edited January 2014 in Strut Central
Which one of you Strutteurs was the music supervisor on this one?

http://www.lbbonline.com/news/wk-boogie-with-new-southern-comfort/

b/w

Why such a healthy song for such an unhealthy swill?

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    same person who was behind this, I assume:

• whoa

:shit_yeah: :bizzo: :beerbang:

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Trip out. I just heard "Estrelar" in Chipotle yesterday and was pretty damn geeked. Didn't hurt that it was preceded by that Yellowman song that Quik sampled for "Me Wanna Rip Your Girl" and followed by Mulatu Astatke's "I faram Gami I faram."

Man, I love that place.

(Full disclosure: 1. I didn't know that Quik song was an interpolation, I only knew his version and 2. I had to Shazam the Mulatu song.)

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Hey, how ya doooooin'...

b/w

Man, these are GREAT!!

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    I'd only seen the Odetta one before now. Southern Comfort are doing great with these.

:feelin_it:

• Whomever is getting the music for these commercials is doing a great job, hadnt seen the Estrellar one before

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Great musical choices.
    But worst beverage i've ever come across.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    cove said:
    Great musical choices.

ABSOLUTELY

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    cove said:
    Great musical choices.

ABSOLUTELY

great song al the way around...but from 1:00 - 1:10 really nails it.

• I've had this drink once ever. It was senior prom and I had asked this super cute chola that I used to get out of class and smoke weed with. She dropped tons of hints that I should take her to prom or a school dance in general. I was part of an art project and the teacher would let me out of class and take anyone I wanted with me so I would take my chola and we'd go smoke. After months of her dropping not so subtle hints about prom, I finally was brave enough to ask her and she obviously said yeah.

We get to prom and she is being a terrible date. Wallflower of the highest order. It was my senior prom, she was a year below me, and I wanted to dance dammit. She didn't want to leave our table the entire night. After a few attempts of trying to break through her chola-icewall, I told her I was going to take a trip around and say hi to my friends who were having fun (passive aggressive much ayyy).

I go to my friend Isaac's table and he said "go to the third stall in the mens room and look behind the toilet, just trust me homie, its cool." There, wrapped in a brown paper bag, was an extra large bottle of Southern Comfort. I hadn't ever tasted this liquor so I just thought it was whatever. I opened the bottle, smelled it, then chugged what must have been like 3-5 shots worth. It was disgusting, i felt diabetic as soon as i swallowed (PASUE).

I went back to my friend Isaacs table and said "Thanks, I guess." I went and danced with my friend Sandra one time and then cut the dance short because I felt bad for my chola who didn't want to leave her chair. After 30 minutes or so more we left home so I could drop her off. I made her drive because I thought i was drunk (omg teenager) and when we got to her house she turned me away when I went in for the kiss.

Anyways southern comfort was a terrible drink to even the most desperate of teenage tastebuds. I can only imagine its gotten worse.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Grandfather said:

I go to my friend Isaac's table and he said "go to the third stall in the mens room and look behind the toilet, just trust me homie, its cool." There, wrapped in a brown paper bag, was an extra large bottle of Southern Comfort.

Shit, at my senior prom we had to stash one of our friends in a bathroom stall. We had all eaten tons of ecstacy and this dude had never done it before. He was as happy as could possibly be, but 2 hits of pink turbo had his face so contorted that he was going to get everybody in trouble. A few of us would take turns babysitting him in there.

On your own, on your, on your own, in the twilight zone...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Swill is right and apparently it 's an essential part of a shitty time.
    I won't try to re-tell my ex's story about being super underage and waiting in line to see The Who (or somesuch) and when someone in line offered to do a liquor store run, the first thing that came in his head was Southern Comfort. It got him so sick he missed the whole show.

My one and only SC story is going to a rap night with some friends who had never been to the spot before. We were all kind of new to each other, so I guess we were still running on fresh impressions. I thought they were down and I guess they thought I was squishy . They were really taken back by the spot and said something like they didn't think I was going to bring them to a place like that. They never really relaxed and were super ready for a fight or something going off the whole time we were there...which never happened, not even close. The place didn't have Jameson or Wild Turkey or Jim Beam or J&B but they had SC. Fine, never had it before and I sure as hell wasn't going to spend the night drinking Johnny Walker or JD. I got wasted on Southern Comfort, which was not a fun drunk at all and couldn't even feel nice or chill enough to dance. They need these great ads because the drink is fucking awful.

They can barely give that shit away free at Fader Fort each year during SXSW.

• bassie said:
    Swill is right and apparently it 's an essential part of a shitty time.
    I won't try to re-tell my ex's story about being super underage and waiting in line to see The Who (or somesuch) and when someone in line offered to do a liquor store run, the first thing that came in his head was Southern Comfort. It got him so sick he missed the whole show.

My one and only SC story is going to a rap night with some friends who had never been to the spot before. We were all kind of new to each other, so I guess we were still running on fresh impressions. I thought they were down and I guess they thought I was squishy . They were really taken back by the spot and said something like they didn't think I was going to bring them to a place like that. They never really relaxed and were super ready for a fight or something going off the whole time we were there...which never happened, not even close. The place didn't have Jameson or Wild Turkey or Jim Beam or J&B but they had SC. Fine, never had it before and I sure as hell wasn't going to spend the night drinking Johnny Walker or JD. I got wasted on Southern Comfort, which was not a fun drunk at all and couldn't even feel nice or chill enough to dance. They need these great ads because the drink is fucking awful.

you prefer Jim Beam to JD really??

rootlesscosmo said:

Around that same time we had this dude we'd hang out with:

1. whose name was Trip (his brother's name: Graham, his sister's name: Sunshine).

2. who dealt ecstacy and claimed to have been the designated x dealer for the Nebraska football team when he had lived up there.

3. who was like the dance club champion of Houston. Whether it was at Netwerk, Lizard Lounge, X/S, Cars, Power Tools, Decadance, wherever...he would once a night do a routine that would vary depending on the song but would always end in a backflip...and damned if as soon as he'd land a backflip, without fail, a dozen chicks would literally run up to him like panting dogs.

Man, those were the days...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Yea, never took to it. Maker's Mark neither.

• I can't decide what's grosser: Fireball or SoCo.....

• rootlesscosmo said:
    I can't decide what's grosser: Fireball or SoCo.....

fireball for sure.

i have a golf buddy who keeps SoCo in his flask for canadian early morning tee-times..... it's not a bad change of pace from the gin i keep in mine.

that said, i could never pour a glass of it for drinking. probably ever.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    Grandfather said:
    I've had this drink once ever. It was senior prom and I had asked this super cute chola that I used to get out of class and smoke weed with. She dropped tons of hints that I should take her to prom or a school dance in general. I was part of an art project and the teacher would let me out of class and take anyone I wanted with me so I would take my chola and we'd go smoke. After months of her dropping not so subtle hints about prom, I finally was brave enough to ask her and she obviously said yeah.

We get to prom and she is being a terrible date. Wallflower of the highest order. It was my senior prom, she was a year below me, and I wanted to dance dammit. She didn't want to leave our table the entire night. After a few attempts of trying to break through her chola-icewall, I told her I was going to take a trip around and say hi to my friends who were having fun (passive aggressive much ayyy).

I go to my friend Isaac's table and he said "go to the third stall in the mens room and look behind the toilet, just trust me homie, its cool." There, wrapped in a brown paper bag, was an extra large bottle of Southern Comfort. I hadn't ever tasted this liquor so I just thought it was whatever. I opened the bottle, smelled it, then chugged what must have been like 3-5 shots worth. It was disgusting, i felt diabetic as soon as i swallowed (PASUE).

I went back to my friend Isaacs table and said "Thanks, I guess." I went and danced with my friend Sandra one time and then cut the dance short because I felt bad for my chola who didn't want to leave her chair. After 30 minutes or so more we left home so I could drop her off. I made her drive because I thought i was drunk (omg teenager) and when we got to her house she turned me away when I went in for the kiss.

Anyways southern comfort was a terrible drink to even the most desperate of teenage tastebuds. I can only imagine its gotten worse.

Nice story.

b/w

LOC: trying to break through her chola-icewall

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    I can't decide what's grosser: Fireball or SoCo.....

fireball for sure.

i have a golf buddy who keeps SoCo in his flask for canadian early morning tee-times..... it's not a bad change of pace from the gin i keep in mine.

that said, i could never pour a glass of it for drinking. probably ever.

The trick with fireball is to put it in the freezer. It's pretty good when it's ice cold. We like it for shots at a party because you can drink quite a bit with out getting to drunk.

SoCo is just bad no matter what. I drank it in High School because you can't be picky underage but I would never buy it now.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    I've never tasted SC with the exception of those bottle shaped, liquor flavored, gel filled, tin foil wrapped chocolates my grandparents used to give at the end of year holidays. Even during my booze spree phase in the late teens to early 20s, I hated sugary alcohol. It's just as tempting as yogurt pizza.