Does The Strut Ride for Curtis' "Short Eyes" OST

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited January 2014 in Strut Central
the subject matter is ultra dark, brutal and perverse (a middle-class pedophile trying to survive in prison) but i really dig this record (the movie isn't too bad either, with curtis in a minor role - my favourite part is when he tells does the guard "nothing doing, just singing some doo wop).

anyhow, i think he digs even deeper into the material than he did on superfly. "doo doo wop is strong in here" is maybe one of the best songs he did (told from the pedophile's point of view). his guitar tone is just impeccable here, what is that combo of effects he is using for the leads?. anyhow, the whole thing is great, yet it doesn't seem to rate very high, even for a blaxploitation OST. i can't recall us every talking about this one. anybody else ride?

you can watch the whole movie here (be warned, it's not for the faint of heart):

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yes, Crabmongerfunk, absolulely, I ride.

#999999 1px; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_ExtBG.png')">

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ive never seen the movie, heard the album or even seen the lp in the field.
    ido have doo doo wap on 45

• does the 45 have the line "I plan to stay a black titty sucker, and i plan to stay a black motherfucker"?

• batmon said:
    Ive never seen the movie,

me neither; I ride for the music though.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    batmon said:
    Ive never seen the movie,

me neither; I ride for the music though.

the pedophile is extra creepy for those that watched the Harry and the Hendersons series in the 90's. All I could think is man that dude has 2 kids and a sasquatch living under his roof now...fucking animal

• just watched Amadeus the other day...the emperor (dude from Deadwood and Ferris Beuler's) is now a convicted pedo.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I own the LP and the movie. Big fan of both. I have to say though.. Freddy Fender's acapella version of "Break It Down" is amazing and in my opinion much better than Curtis' album version.

RZA sampled some dialogue from it if I'm not mistaken.

Also, although the content is dark, I don't think the movie is at all hard to watch. Then again, I came up watching American Me and Blood In Blood Out aka Bound By Honor. Now THOSE movies had me living a life that would forever keep me out of prison.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Speaking of Freddy Fender and pedophiles...Huey Meaux.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I am into the Short Eyes soundtrack. I just recently went through my Curtis section, and the Short Eyes LP was the only one after America Today that I ended up keeping, other than Something to Believe In. He stepped away from the crossover/disco stuff that he had fallen into for his albums and went back to his early-mid 70s sound for this soundtrack.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    had about 10 sealed copies in the 90's
    now just 2
    then i found more a few years ago
    it keeps popping up sealed in the NY/Nj area
    great OST
    never saw the film
    have no interest in the film

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:

#999999 1px; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_ExtBG.png')">

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hot!!'
    only guy in the world still using soundclick
    old skoolybeathustler

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    kala said:
    Big_Stacks said:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hot!!'
    only guy in the world still using soundclick
    old skoolybeathustler

Hey Kala,

Thanks for the lookout, but yo, am I old school!!! Interestingly enough, I found the "Short Eyes" OST up in Milwaukee some years ago. I liked the LP so much I had to sample from it. I've seen the film too, some seriously gritty shit. It's actually not a bad film considering the genre it represents.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• The movie is a 70s downer classic. The playwright/screenwriter became kind of a big deal at the time.

Yup. Miguel Pi??ero. Wrote the play while in jail, if I'm not mistaken. Also went on to open up The Nuyorican Poets' Cafe (co-founder) and write and act in Miami Vice, while still sticking up folks in Central Park for heroin money. Trip out. There's a decent movie about his life starring Benjamin Bratt. I need to watch that again.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    just watched Amadeus the other day...the emperor (dude from Deadwood and Ferris Beuler's) is now a convicted pedo.

• Herm said:
    Freddy Fender's acapella version of "Break It Down" is amazing and in my opinion much better than Curtis' album version.

agreed (check for a young luiz guzman in the background):

• i liked this a lot. kinda same prison downer vibes as Bad Boys w Sean Penn and Ese morales
    it was odd that the short eyes wasnt necessarily center stage in the film and he definitely wasnt sympathetic AT ALL. lot of good character development with the others and solid acting in general. ice, julio, juan, paco, murphy, mr nek?, etc. Lot of classic speeches and deep dialogues dropped. least of by the pathetic clark kent davis

and yeah freddy fender killed

• i re-watched this weekend and it was even better than i had remembered it being. herm, what else do i need to check of miguel pinero? i am dling some hollywood movies he was in (like fort apache the bronx) but i'd be even more interested to see some other things he has written... i refuse to check this benjamin brat deal, at least not yet...

• Herm said:
    Yup. Miguel Pi??ero. Wrote the play while in jail, if I'm not mistaken. Also went on to open up The Nuyorican Poets' Cafe (co-founder) and write and act in Miami Vice, while still sticking up folks in Central Park for heroin money. Trip out. There's a decent movie about his life starring Benjamin Bratt. I need to watch that again.

Pinero was busted for armed robbery right near the set while they were filming the movie, too.

He wrote the "Smuggler's Blues" Miami Vice episode which was one of the series' classics.

• "Smuggler's Blues" was raw. Don't have much to add to this thread that hasn't been said already, but the Short Eyes album is really good.

As for Curtis' effects chain; it sounds like like a fuzztone into a phaser for the lead breaks.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Doo Doo Wop gets played at about every third party I deejay.