Post a Good Documentary You Have Seen Recently

Comments

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    You might want to get yourself a hanky before watching this one.

You should then surf around the Tube a bit more and watch some of the other, longer clips by or documentaries about him.
    Truly inspiring.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Just saw two docs at the Toronto Int Film Fest and both are worth mentioning.

'The Known Unknown' is the new Errol Morris doc... classic first-person style "get to know a weirdo" from Morris, and follow-up to Fog of War... this time interviewing Rumsfeld about his history and approach to decision around Iraq and "POWs". I can't help but share my thoughts on it... it's fascinating, even if (because?) Rumsfeld is a far harder man to pin down than McNamara was in Fog of War. They both come off as guys willing to pursue geopolitical aims through war at the expense of human lives; but McNamara was at least frank and even remorseful about some of his actions, while Rumsfeld comes off as evasive, inconsistent and proud. His one saving grace is that he's very, very analytic and thoughtful about his decisions.... so at least he didn't seem to act haphazardly/carelessly, regardless of how off he and others ended up being in their predictions... over his whole career, he genuinely seems to have striven to be the very best public servant that he could (even if he is morally "off"). Also, while McNamara seemed like he was a somewhat reluctant Sec of Defense who relished his strategic role, Rumsfeld had/has a far-reaching vision of how American power ought to be maintained through manipulating other countries, and he has gladly and shrewdly pursued those objectives over his career. Not a very likable character in the end.

Also just saw 'Jodorowsky's Dune', which is about Jodorowsky's version of Dune that was never made in the end due to a lack of financing. It's incredible. If you're a fan of Dune and Jodorowsky, this will exceed your expectations... both the doc and the vision that was in place for Dune. Can't recommend enough if you're remotely interested... I won't spoil any of many jaw-dropping factoids and lessons in this.

Anyone else seen Act of Killing?

So highly recommended, but it is really hard to watch at times. Weird and shocking.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I watched the Act of Killing a few weeks ago. They screened the festival cut here, apparently it's a bit longer than the one that's been released theatrically. At any rate, it is one of the most insane movies I've ever seen. I can't imagine what it was like to be filming all of that.

ppadilha said:
    I watched the Act of Killing a few weeks ago. They screened the festival cut here, apparently it's a bit longer than the one that's been released theatrically. At any rate, it is one of the most insane movies I've ever seen. I can't imagine what it was like to be filming all of that.

yeah, i saw the "director's cut", which was 2h 40m.

the director is working on a follow-up from the POV of the victims. i can't even imagine...

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts

Jimmy Smith doc, circa 1965. The narration is in German, but still very worth watching (even if you don't sprechen sie deutsch). Most of the doc is just footage of performances and clips of the band talking.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Documentary about Muscle Shoals studio(s), Rick Hall...
    Had it's own thread that disappeared.
    I thought it would be around for a while. 20 Feet From Stardom was such a big hit here.
    It was only here for a week.

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    A friend of mine has done a documentary on the very strong skate scene centred around Malmo, Sweden. It's shot on a mixture of formats from Super 8 to Digital. Here's a snippet...

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Here are a couple I have seen recently. That's pretty much all i have to say about that.

...except that the latter is funny in a morbid Nardwuar sort of way. For example...

• I'm having the foundation of my formative movie watching experience absolutely rocked watching this Netflix doc about drew struzan.

YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THESE WERE ALL THE SAME MOTHERFUCKER?!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I just watched Blackfish on Nextflix about Killer Whales at theme parks. Was pretty good

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

not a straight documentary ,
    but a must see with many secrets revealed

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    motown67 said:
    I just watched Blackfish on Nextflix about Killer Whales at theme parks. Was pretty good

I've downloaded this a week or so back but can't get myself to watch it as I know it will only increase my hatred towards humanity... if I'm ever diagnosed with terminal cancer I might just go and suicidebomb Seaworld.

Frank said:
    motown67 said:

I've downloaded this a week or so back but can't get myself to watch it as I know it will only increase my hatred towards humanity...

I know what you mean. I just haven't found myself saying "hey, let me watch something that is just going to depress this shit out of me".

• JectWon said:
    Frank said:
    motown67 said:

I've downloaded this a week or so back but can't get myself to watch it as I know it will only increase my hatred towards humanity...

I know what you mean. I just haven't found myself saying "hey, let me watch something that is just going to depress this shit out of me".

It's informative and eye opening. Basically there's no record of a killer whale killing a human in the wild. Most captive whales in sea world and it's affiliates can be traced back to one whale. This whale was a known aggressive and he was pulled from shows, but then used as a stud. It's crazy. Such negligence.

Absolutely great.

Conclusion to be drawn: I am a pussy.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Just saw the premier of 20,000 Days On Earth about Nick Cave. Very well done different style of documentary. Lots of stuff with Warren Ellis telling stories about concerts that blew their minds like Nina Simone and Jerry Lee Lewis.

• JectWon said:

Oh my god, yes. I drew the same conclusion about five minutes in.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Finally got around to the Bill Cunningham doc. I enjoyed.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    JectWon said:

Absolutely great.

Just saw this last night right after Blackfish which was just as infuriating as expected and made watching Happy People feel like medicine for the soul. Thanks for recommending this!

Central Russsia and Mongolia are definitely on our list of places to see.

Frank said:
    JectWon said:

Absolutely great.

Just saw this last night right after Blackfish which was just as infuriating as expected and made watching Happy People feel like medicine for the soul. Thanks for recommending this!

Central Russsia and Mongolia are definitely on our list of places to see.

Glad you enjoyed it. I was blown away by how stoic and contemplative the main subject was. The way he could justify trapping but did not have the heart to raise cattle for slaughter and the difference in honesty between the two practices...it was amazing.

Not to mention how he found himself trapping to begin with.

Werner Herzog really seems to have cracked the code on documentary making, in my opinion.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    JectWon said:

Glad you enjoyed it. I was blown away by how stoic and contemplative the main subject was. The way he could justify trapping but did not have the heart to raise cattle for slaughter and the difference in honesty between the two practices...it was amazing.

Werner Herzog really seems to have cracked the code on documentary making, in my opinion.

There were so many equally impressive and moving sides to this film. Some of the shots of the boats laboring up the choppy waters were incredibly beautiful and chilling on more than just one level considering the heavy load and the edge of the boat only being a few inches above the water level, balancing through all those rocks. Such a wide set of skills, each one of them absolutely essential and every single one mastered to perfection. The craftsmanship displayed during the creation of the dugout canoe was just mind boggling, such archaic tools and every move was so finely tuned and as secure as it can only be mastered after decades of practice. If anything, it was too short. I could have kept watching for 5 or 6 hours without getting tired.

Frank said:
    JectWon said:

There were so many equally impressive and moving sides to this film. Some of the shots of the boats laboring up the choppy waters were incredibly beautiful and chilling on more than just one level considering the heavy load and the edge of the boat only being a few inches above the water level, balancing through all those rocks. Such a wide set of skills, each one of them absolutely essential and every single one mastered to perfection. The craftsmanship displayed during the creation of the dugout canoe was just mind boggling, such archaic tools and every move was so finely tuned and as secure as it can only be mastered after decades of practice. If anything, it was too short. I could have kept watching for 5 or 6 hours without getting tired.

I completely agree. It was also very interesting and moving how the main subject of the film was almost drawn to tears when recounting the story of his favorite Dog's demise.

----------------

I hope people continue to submit to this thread. I'm loving it and plan on watching a bunch of these this weekend. I decided to go back into my netflix ratings to see if I could suggest any good ones.

This was a very interesting one.

Student elections...internationally adorable and about as despicable as adult politics.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    JectWon said:

I hope people continue to submit to this thread. I'm loving it and plan on watching a bunch of these this weekend. I decided to go back into my netflix ratings to see if I could suggest any good ones.

Student elections...internationally adorable and about as despicable as adult politics.

I'm always thankful for recommendations on good documentaries but I think I'll pass on this one... the two things I most wholeheartedly and universally despise gotta be kids and politics. Yuck!

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    dennis banks= og american badass that they will never teach any kids about in school.
    go on and cry it's ok

more light hearted
    equally compelling
    killer of sheep part#2
    http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/miss_navajo

and fyi
    more incredible doc's than you have time for:
    http://www.nfb.ca/

here's one of 10,000

http://fortmcmoney.com/en/#/fortmcmoney

Frank said:
    JectWon said:

I'm always thankful for recommendations on good documentaries but I think I'll pass on this one... the two things I most wholeheartedly and universally despise gotta be kids and politics. Yuck!

Haha, yeah....I would definitely suggest passing on this one because that is all it is.

Enjoyable doc...especially for chess nerds.

Justus is that dude....