Tech Question: Vestax PMC-07 Power Supply

King.LeweyKing.Lewey 66 Posts
edited January 2014 in Strut Central
Hello all,

I have a question and thought of you lovely lot to hopefully help me answer it...

The power chord for my Vestax PMC-07Pro mixer wore out (rubber coming from the plug end sheared over time, dodgy connection now) so I purchased a new one from eBay. Problem is, the original one was 12v, 1000mA but the new one is 12v 1,200mA.

A friend told me once to make sure I don't plug a 3rd party/non-specific (even within the Vestax range) power supply as it causes irreversible damage to the mixer and will cause it to always have a hum.

Does anyone know if I will be OK? The new plug is Vestax branded and I bought it from an eBay auction saying it worked with PMC-07Pro (here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291022545263)

Any help as I really would not like to blow up my beloved PMC-07...

Cheers

Comments

• i'd have to agree and say to only buy and actual Vestax power source. third party units seem to be kind of wonky with Vestax stuff.

• DustedDon said:
    i'd have to agree and say to only buy and actual Vestax power source. third party units seem to be kind of wonky with Vestax stuff.
    That's the problem though, it is a Vestax power chord, but has different amperage (1,200mA instead of the original 1,000mA) which is what's confusing me... I really don't want to blow the thing up!

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    *ahem*

So...the current is the amount of electrons your mixer is sucking down at any given moment. Based on your operating state, this number can fluctuate... (aka...there is a difference in current consumption when your mixer is on and chillin to when you're blasting some music through it at full volume).

The current rating on your power supplies is what your supply is capable of 'giving' the mixer. The old one was capable of supplying 1 amp (1000mA) while your new one is capable of supplying 1.2 amps (1200mA). This isn't that sizeable of a difference and I would think you would be OK. Normally, people that design electronics, choose a power supply which well exceeds your operating conditions to cover your bases. For example, it wouldn't be out of the question that your Vestax mixer operates off of 12 volts by only consumes...say....700mA's.

If your mixer REALLY had a problem, it would try to consume TONS of current and that's what fuses are for. They blow after a certain point to protect the electronics from really damaging themselves.

In my opinion...you should be fine...

One thing you should check though is to make sure the sleeve and tip are the correct polarity. You might see a similar marking on your power supply to this one...

...this tells you that the outside edge (sleeve) of the power supply is either positive (or negative) and the internal edge (tip) should be the reverse, negative (or positive). If this is different, then you can have big problems because you're basically hooking up your power supply backwards... That's a show stopper...

• Thanks very much, hopefully you're right and I can give it a whirl tonight.

I have limited knowledge of things like this but when I first got the mixer I was told by a friend who had had an different model (still Vestax), implicitly NOT to ever use another power supply, even a Vestax one for different model mixer, as it can mess them up.

Fingers crossed the amperage isn't the reason this happens and the .2a doesn't make a difference!