Connan Mockasin (creepy, weird, awesome-R)

caicai spacecho 362 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
I just caught this video clip on Rage. Never heard of the guy but wikipedia tells me he's from New Zealand and toured with Charlotte Gainsbourg and Radiohead recently. So creepy, i love it.

He describes his last album: "It starts with the dolphin leaving, and the boss who is so in with love with the dolphin is sad, and then it kicks into the new album, and he is happier. But there???s a car race and a crash."

Comments

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Julian Assange modern boner.
    Pretty nice.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    He's amazing! Check his 1st band Connan and The Mocakasins... It's like Hendrix meets Sesame Street

• Yeah, I've watched that video before and it is creepy, which is funny but he isn't really like that.
    First album is sublime. Musical themes recur throughout it and it's dreamlike and floaty though with good grooves. The subject matter is bizarre - suits which make your nostalgia trips vivid, songs about his penis, sex with dolphins. He uses a lot of chorus fx and his singing voice is alien. But it's very addictive to listen to and so beautiful.
    Second album is musically more or less the same, maybe a bit saucier in terms of subject. Nice drums
    I don't really like the creepy aspect which does him no favours as he seems quite sweet on stage and in interviews.
    Love this one

• Oh yes, I'm a fan of this dude but he I totally stopped listening to him. This song is new to me and its pretty good.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Thanks for the recc.. never heard of the guy before.

- spidey

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    Thanks for the recc.. never heard of the guy before.

- spidey

Same here. Thanks for posting!

ost said:
    Julian Assange modern boner.

Diki leaks

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Thanks for posting this! His music has been on rotation here regularly since your post.

A heads up, he's playing New York this Thursday and Friday and Los Angeles on the 16th. I was bummed to find the LA show has been sold out for a while. I'm not sure how often he makes his way to the states. I've been enjoying his live recordings more than the album tracks.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I just got turned onto to him this month!! This song title is so cringey but the song is so lovely that it cancels out??

I'm gonna see him at Bottom of the Hill (SF) next wed. Hopefully it's good. The last few live shows I've seen didn't really do it for me.

• cai said:
    I just caught this video clip on Rage. Never heard of the guy but wikipedia tells me he's from New Zealand and toured with Charlotte Gainsbourg and Radiohead recently. So creepy, i love it.

He describes his last album: "It starts with the dolphin leaving, and the boss who is so in with love with the dolphin is sad, and then it kicks into the new album, and he is happier. But there???s a car race and a crash."

Reminds me of something off Pure Guava, just not as good.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I can't really speak on dude's psych-type material, but I've listened to most of that Caramel record (because it seemed devoted and awkward, like something I might like), and though it's got its moments musically speaking, tonally it's awfully indulgent and insincere. Like all those Madlib "jazz" records from the 00s that seemed (seem? is dude still making them shits?) to mostly function as vehicles for a particular packaging aesthetic, Caramel feels to me--from its title on down--less like actual music and more like some sort of commentary/genre exercise/album-length missed point.

Dude doesn't necessarily sound like he thinks he's above r&b, but he does sound like he's overestimated the extent to which his dippy conceptual moves put him beyond it.

Q: Hey man, can you imagine if Prince made a Donovan record?!
    A: Uh, he kinda did.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    jjfad027 said:
    I'm gonna see him at Bottom of the Hill (SF) next wed. Hopefully it's good. The last few live shows I've seen didn't really do it for me.

Thank you for telling me about this!!

• Creepy and unappealing novelty act.

• I like the track, but the dude seems to aim for the Ariel Pink thing, but lacks the substance..

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Definitely on some Ariel Pink shit but BETTER. Forever Dolphin Love was definitely on repeat in the rotation for a good while a year+ ago. Shit is dope.

In case anyone was curious, this dude put on a fantastic show. The music was superb as was his attitude. He said it was their first time in SF (not sure if he meant gigging or just being there) and he seemed genuinely stoked to be there.