The first ever 12" using the term Remix

Sobriety WonSobriety Won 74 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
In print on the label?

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I have no idea.
    Seems like A Tom Molton Mix followed soon after the introduction of the 12". But mix is different than remix.

Was remix a term that engineers/producers were using before disco?
    Did Phil Spector remix Let It Be?

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Double Exposure - Ten Percent is said to be the first Disco-"Remix" but on the label it described as "Disco blending by Walter Gibbons". Tom Moulton was doing it even before but it was indicated as "A Tom Moulton Mix" on labels.

My wild guess for the first time written on the label is this here:

Musique - In The Bush (Remixed by Francois Kevorkian)

Published by PAP music!!!

Little earlier this here. (Insomnia is making me do this pointless research instead of resting my head.)

• I know in 1971 The Grateful Dead 'remixed' Aomomoxoa (and I think Anthem Of The Sun also). On the back of the album it states "Remixed September 1971"

Disco-Che I can't see your images. 403 Forbidden.

LaserWolf said:
    Disco-Che I can't see your images. 403 Forbidden.

Strange, works fine for me and it's all discogs-pics so there shouldn't be a problem. These are the direct links to the pics. Hope this works for you.

This is the first:

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1105627

And this the second:

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=3346338

Thanks.

• Thanks for the info fellas, so we are talkin 77 for the remix in the "traditional" 12" sense but the Gratefull Dead supersedes it by six years.

Be surprised if there is nothing more inbetween?

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    There are different meanings for the term "Remix".

In the 90s HipHop sense we talk about a new music production with the raps of the original, or certain elements of the original.

In the 70s it meant a new mix of an already mixed song. Now we would call it an alternative mix.
    Starting in the mid 70s it meant that the song was also re-arranged, which means it is not only a new mix, but also edited.

Today "Remix" means the same song just with new raps on it.

So you cant compare Grateful Dead with Moulton, or Moulton with Pete Rock, or both with Danny Krivit.
    Same term - different meaning

Peace