deep purple.. chinese boot (?)

upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
pulled this today, looks like a chinese bootleg of sorts.. there was no cover (missing ?)
has anyone seen it before ?? any info much apreciated..

Comments

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    googling for clues turned up this.....

• Almost certainly from Taiwan, not China. Maybe Korea.

Worth around $3 w/cover, 50 cents without.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Looks Taiwan.

Here is a story about these I heard recently. US Service men would go into the local barber shop, tell the guy there what record he wants, come back the next day and they would have it. In other words, if you asked for Deep Purple, they would go and press up a copy and have it for you the next day. Not sure I believe that.

Out here people are starting to pick these up for the cheese factor. What adds value is misspellings. Your example has Kentucky instead of Kentucky Woman, which is not enough of a mistake to add value. They covers tend to be copies of the US versions, but with new type setting, another chance for misspellings. The vinyl is often colored.

• LaserWolf said:
    Looks Taiwan.

Here is a story about these I heard recently. US Service men would go into the local barber shop, tell the guy there what record he wants, come back the next day and they would have it. In other words, if you asked for Deep Purple, they would go and press up a copy and have it for you the next day. Not sure I believe that.

I don't. If you know how a record press works, it makes no sense. More likely they just went to a warehouse or store and got one.

I was in Taiwan in the mid 70's and cheap knockoff Lps were everywhere. They were about 25 cents at the exchange rate back then.

• I clicked on this thinking it was a new shoe thread.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Yes, these usually came in those weird "open on three sides" sleeves with the whole thing wrapped in plastic (inside sleeve and out).
    Have seen a few dozen random copies of random albums over the years with the same label.
    Not worth much $.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    great info, thanks a lot, and i always assumed this jimmy castor was chinese breakdance music, guess not then, yeah, whole thing wrapped up in plastic, troglodyte sticker printed on, do spot a major spelling glitch too..

(AVE MAN)

• I have a Dave Brubeck LP with the same label (CSJ-329).
    They're supposedly from South Korea

Edit: Some website is selling one and claiming Japan

Brb

• Ok. Here's the long version. My lp label doesn't say dave Brubeck anywhere, it's just Asian symbols. And the lp is usually called Dave Brubeck volume 2 or gone with the wind.

So I ran some likely words through a translator to compare the 'words' to Japanese and Korean. The Korean translation bared no resemblance, whereas I actually got a whopping 1 identical 'symbol' from the Japanese translation.

So I'm gonna say it's Japanese.

Edit: Used a Thai translator just because some Ppl said Taiwan-- and the symbols bared little resemblance, a very different 'style' of characters. So Japan still gets my vote

Saucy Tweenbal said:

Edit: Used a Thai translator just because some Ppl said Taiwan-- and the symbols bared little resemblance, a very different 'style' of characters. So Japan still gets my vote

:NO:

• Saucy Tweenbal said:

:comedy_gold:

No, it's not Japan.

• Found this on Discogs

----------
    Profile:
    Chung Sheng Records -
    Label from Taiwan of doubtful legality. The label catered to US soldiers stationed in Taiwan in the 60's and 70s. Covers were often photocopied from Japanese or US issues with altered colours. Many releases are on coloured vinyl.
    Parent Label:
    Chung Sheng Record
    -----------------------------

Appreciate the mature sass.

• nobody gives a shit. it's worth $1.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Saucy Tweenbal said:
    Found this on Discogs

----------
    Profile:
    Chung Sheng Records -
    Label from Taiwan of doubtful legality. The label catered to US soldiers stationed in Taiwan in the 60's and 70s. Covers were often photocopied from Japanese or US issues with altered colours. Many releases are on coloured vinyl.
    Parent Label:
    Chung Sheng Record

Appreciate the mature sass.

The full color photocopy machine was common in Taiwan in the 60's so this makes perfect sense.

b/w

Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    nobody gives a shit. it's worth $1.

Only if you have the cover.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    In addition to a Southeast Asian bootleg of A-Tom-ic Jones where some seriously wasted color separation has left the cover subject looking like a tuxedoed Oscar statuette that's made entirely of peanut butter taffy and howling in open-mawed anguish while unleashing the fart to end all worlds, I have a few of the similarly situated Student Sound compilations of popular favorites, which go the extra mile by helpfully--if bafflingly--printing the lyrics on the back, in transcriptions that approach cubism. Jr. Walker's "How can I make / this dream come true for me?", for example, becomes "How can I beg / you change your shoes for me?"

One of my relatives has a Korean green-vinyl Tony Bennett I Left My Heart In Wherever The Fuck that looks like it was printed on a belt sander, and that he's convinced he's gonna retire off of. Oy vey.

• Saucy Tweenbal said:
    Found this on Discogs

----------
    Profile: lilmonstuperpoaster
    Gatortoof Records -
    Human nature of doubtful sincerity. The poaster catered to random bursts of exaggerated saucacity. Posts were often photocopied from Japanese shoelace ads run through a taco.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    hahahahaha

salty old ass soulstrut elders on the grump!