The Motherfuckin Ventures

Saucy TweenbalSaucy Tweenbal 45 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
(Formerly titled: "Recycled Ventures Tracks")

I've read numerous times that The Ventures were known to recycle tracks from album to album with different titles. (Which I took as "derivative re-recordings") Having owned and heard about 83% of their albums from 1960-1970 I have yet to notice any recycled tracks (granted I've only listened to most of them 1,2 or 3 times) UNTIL TODAY!

The track 'Tomorrow's Love' from 1965's "Knock Me Out" record is IDENTICAL to 'Love Godess Of Venus' from 'Ventures In Space' (1964). I mean it's the same exact track.

Now I don't see much talk of The Ventures (or surf) on here, but I'd be curious to know if anybody else has spotted any more of these 'recycled' tracks. I'd be pleasantly surprised if a number of strutters bite on this thread.

SoulStrut, I challenge thee.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    There are hundreds of ventures lps.
    If you have heard one, you have heard them all.

Not that an electric guitar sounding out a melody with reverb and 32nd notes isn't fun, it's just how much do you want to hear.

They do have breaks, and a psych exploit lp or 2.

• LaserWolf said:
    There are hundreds of ventures lps.
    If you have heard one, you have heard them all.

Not to my ears. To me The Ventures have about 20 core albums from 1960-1966 that I find very enjoyable. Granted, it might be a little much to listen to 5 lps in a row.. Every now and then I take one off the shelf and I'm always glad I did. I Enjoy instrumental surf just as much as I enjoy inst funk.

I think they have a great knack for making "moods". I can drop the needle on any given band and be transported to the ocean, a party, or some dark, creepy place (-- my personal fav).

Ventures on Stage LP has a rendition of 'Bumble Bee'. And it sounds like a bumble bee haha. I get a kick out of it.

Not meaning to rant. Just one guy's opinion.

• I've always loved this track, been wanting to sample it for the longest time

• I wish i could see what tracks you posted, my phones acting up.

And also back to lazer, you're seeming lack of respect for The Ventures was disheartening to say the least, esp considering they practically invented Psych and metal in 1964 (not that I like metal, but early black sabbath and shit) and were using fuzzed out guitars in 1962, and were basically the Beatles in Japan.

Influential beyond belief, and criminally slept on...which isn't necessarily a BAD thing. More for me haha

• I posted the tack Diamond Head, first time I heard it was in the early 90's, it was far from what I was listening to at the time, but when I heard it I thought it was dope for some reason, the "surfer" sound and that guitar, oddly appeal to me at the time, my friend who had the CD, gave it to me and said I could keep it, I still have it...I always wanted to sample the guitar riff, and now that were on the topic maybe i'll get around to that soon, lol

I am by no means a connoisseur, I have about 5 Ventures albums that barely get any play...

• Ah, Diamond Head's badass.

'Ventures in Space' and 'Surfing' albums I'd recommend to anybody as their best (IMO)

And for the record I'd say that 'Ventures a Go Go' and '$1,000,000 Weekend' as their absolute worst. Id pity a fool who's only heard those 2 albums.

PS: I'd throw in 'Batman', 'Fabulous Ventures' & 'Walk Don't Run 64' into their 'best album's list' also. 5 crucial albums in an endless sea of inconsistencies.

Peace

Edit: for the record, I'm really only acknowledging the bulk of their 60s output as 'authentic'. I see them like the dead in that they have so much stuff, it's easy to dislike them-- cause that means they also made a lot of bad stuff. But they DID do a lot of good stuff. Like Beethoven probably wrote a ton of shit that sucked, but we remember him for the good stuff he left us. And he probably didn't have a record company forcing him to remake 60s pop hits.

Double peace