Gym Appreciation!!!

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Growin' up Jogging was the fitness craze???.and gyms became the shit around the 90s.

I engaged in sports hardcore from elementary school till after college.

To me working out is more engaging in a communal or solo sport or gettin' outside.

Sports = Stereo
    Gym = Walkman

Either way???.do u and get "fit". Activity is activity.

I feel like sports helps your brain more than isolated gym activity.
    Learning angles on the Soccer/Football field, rebound timing on a basketball court, agility when weaving through traffic on bike, hand eye coordination w/ a racket???stimulates me more than sweating in a mirror.

My job is quasi physical, so it kills any lingering guilt to get my 40+ smoking and drinking ass acclimated to the gym culture.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I always felt that way about sports/gym too, but then I had kids and no longer had the time to get away to play ball for a couple of hours. What I do have is a long lunch hour and a gym in the building where I work. Once I made going there a part of my daily routine it absolutely became something I looked forward to as an escape from office bullshit. Even when I am dreading my workout I make myself drag ass in there and get it done, I might as well since I can't just go flop on a couch and chill like I would if I was at home. And I never regret having worked out once I get done at the gym.

• Not gonna knock getting in shape but for me a gym was a waste of money and time. I hit 40 four years ago and had my first child. I was about 20 lbs overweight and vowed to lose it and get in shape. We had just moved to the country (coastal California) and were blessed with hiking trails literally right in our back yard. I promptly got on a regimen of running a cross country course of 2.5 miles almost daily and finished with long-ass hill sprints 2x at the end. Kicked my ass into shape like nothing else. Initially I had a gym membership for a few months, but it took me away from my family and was inside and not very inspiring. I thrived in the outdoors though. I got one of those power towers and got my chin-up/pull-up game on track, got an assortment of kettle bells and now do 60 reps of russian twists damn near daily AND got my push-up game going by vowing to do 100 non-stop by building up slowly. I've tapered off some since I've lost the weight but my new years resolution is to incorporate some other things such as a weight bag and other endurance activities. Nothing compares to the feeling of a great workout and kudos to you all who make that first and most important step to stay fit.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I spent more time in gyms before the age of 20 than most of you will in your entire lives. Always makes me shake my head when I hear people as old as 40 talking about working out like it's something they've never done before. Even worse is when they try to sell me on some new-fangled nonsense. Joe Weider and Arnold had it right back in the 70's.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    oh god dude, we get it. you are the manliest of men, born with a hammer in one hand and a barbell in the other. you win, the rest of us are pansies wilting under your brute force.

• HarveyCanal said:
    I spent more time in gyms before the age of 20 than most of you will in your entire lives. Always makes me shake my head when I hear people as old as 40 talking about working out like it's something they've never done before. Even worse is when they try to sell me on some new-fangled nonsense. Joe Weider and Arnold had it right back in the 70's.

LoL

overcompensate much?

bassie said:
    oh god dude, we get it. you are the manliest of men, born with a hammer in one hand and a barbell in the other. you win, the rest of us are pansies wilting under your brute force.

Oh sorry to inform the dweeby pest brigade that you have failed in your attempts to completely exterminate us from existence. I know you think fluffy platitudes are what make the world go 'round, but it's actually good ole elbow grease.

vintageinfants said:
    HarveyCanal said:

LoL

overcompensate much?

Nah, all these 40-somethings suddenly doing crossfit burpees with kettlebells dangling from their earlobes, they are the ones with overcompensation on lock.

deleted - not worth it.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Harvey circa 1983...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Hey Harvey,

I was always active, as I was an athlete as a youngster (e.g., high-school football, basketball, and track). Even in college, I worked out regularly (playing basketball, running, and weight-training mostly), but got lazy after marriage. I just realized three years ago how woefully out-of-shape I had gotten, which was so uncharacteristic of my lifestyle. I decided to fix the problem for my longer-term well-being (and not making my wife a widow).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Big_Stacks said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Hey Harvey,

I was always active, as I was an athlete as a youngster (e.g., high-school football, basketball, and track). Even in college, I worked out regularly (playing basketball, running, and weight-training mostly), but got lazy after marriage. I just realized three years ago how woefully out-of-shape I had gotten, which was so uncharacteristic of my lifestyle. I decided to fix the problem for my longer-term well-being (and not making my wife a widow).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Of course. You talking that diesel-speak about shoveling snow precluded you from my snare.

And bassie, you take this ish way too seriously. Lighten up for increased reps.

That's rich. But sure OK.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    This thread rulz!

I agree with H.A.R.V. with the born-again shit. Lo-carb lifehack crossfit minimalist TEDtalker weirdos.

I think everyone could use a little more running around and less whatever else everybody does, but I'm definitely on that Kenny Powers shit: I don't want to be the best at exercising, I just want to be able to ride snowboards or bikes until it's dark. Fuck a gym unless there's a game. And even then, fuck a game because I'm slow and can't throw.

If I haven't ridden mountain bikes for a few days I'll go to the park and skip rope. 8 dollar gym. If I can stay off beer and candy I'll be okay. Maybe.

GFJ your body looks great.
    :bizzo:

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    My strict regimen...

Basketball, surfing, running, sit-ups, working on the house, push-ups and unloading the car after a trip to Costco...also being a naturally hyper goof-ball.

• It's cute when Strutters fight over dumb shit.

Do you. Stay fit however you see fit.

Personally, I avoided the gym for years. I felt like I'd be out of place since I didn't understand gym etiquette/protocol. Was a little intimidated, to be honest. Didn't help that most gym-goers I knew were on the stereotypical "muscle head" side. I finally signed up a couple years ago. I HATE going, but I do and it shows. Kinda proud of that. I'm a clotheswhore and I feel better about myself when I'm dressed and headed out for the day.

I usually go late at night, just before they close. It's quieter then. Sometimes I only go for 30 minutes, but it's 30 minutes I'd spend on the internet at home if I skipped it. I figure every little bit helps. Also do yoga at the gym too. Beginners yoga for now. Mostly just my best friend and I and a few older folks. No hot girls really, but to be honest, that's probably better for me. I lose focus when I see sexy yoga pants on the street! Haven't had that life-changing moment every yoga addict I know has had at some point but I enjoy it regardless.

• Herm said:
    It's cute when Strutters fight over dumb shit.

the Strut is, was and always will be about fighting over dumb shit.

I'm surprised you've lasted as long as you have with this attitude.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    Herm said:

This is a great point. Maybe I'm just hopeful. Siiiiiigh...

• rootlesscosmo said:
    Herm said:

This is a great point. Maybe I'm just hopeful. Siiiiiigh...

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Guzzo said:
    The gym is necessary. I've switched from working out at night to starting my day with a solid run and some lifting. It's done wonders in terms of being more alert and energized when I step into work.

And I'm a skinny dude so weight lifting basically gives me quick results which really gets the womens attention, realheadknowthedeal!

co-sign.

Been hitting the gym 3 times a week for a few months. The ladies be luvin' Cool BV.

b/w

I signed up to Golds' for $180 for 6 months. No fee, no contract.

• I agree with what D Eldridge said about most of us needing a carrot. The most important part for me was definitely fixing my back, but the carrot was being able to to do some great backcountry skiing which is next to impossible if you're flab. For me the gym started as an means to an end, but after a while it became addictive. I'd say a lot of the regulars are borderline OCD. My bud Doug is a classic case and started fostering his compulsion at an early age.: He started training when he was 12, Franko and Arnold were his heros. I trained with him off and on growing up. Then I got into pot and music.... and Doug never missed a days training. He's 38, trains 3- 4 hrs a day 6 days a wk. (He has a day job but no fam, the gym helped kill his first marriage). He's an Olympic lifter: all he does is clean and jerk and snatch. Over and over and over....He competes at the national level for his age group now, and he's considered an old man by most. He doesn't do roids, unlike 90% of the guys who compete, which means he plateaued a long time ago, but he couldn't stop if he tried. Guess he's a long way down the rabbit hole...

one thing Doug said last week is " Athletes are self centered individuals" , seemed kinda quaint coming from him, but it's the truth.

• Ahahaha are you even real? What an amazing statement, biggest possible eye roll in your direction.

HarveyCanal said:

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Last time I was in a public gym was back in the mid 80s and that was some no frills basement space patronized mostly by tattooed biker types. Not a single stationary bike or any of these conveyor belt walker thingies. I was in my late teens and it was fun getting into shape in that dungeon. My 20s and 30s I dedicated towards abusing my body, not doing any sports and spending most nights partying hard. A few years after making it past 40 I thought now that I'm officially totally fucking old I gotta try and get myself back into shape and not allow myself to be humiliated by leaving behind a paled, flaccid, potbellied corpse. When I went to a gym to register (this was back in NYC) shit turned out to be crazy expensive. The space was filled with all these useless computer controlled toys with LCD displays and shit and I would have felt like an idiot to pay a gym to finance all those gimmicky housewife toys. They also had mandatory trainer introductions. I walked right out, bought some dumbbells and a flat bench for bench presses and a steep decline bench for crunches. My wife wanted a rowing machine which I now also use as it offers a really effective and sweaty warm-up for the entire body and does something for my legs as well. All of this shit together wasn't even 2 grand if I remember correctly and I never felt I needed anything else. Another huge advantage is that I can play the music I want as loud as I want to.

Im surprised that during the DJ explosion of the late 90's/early00's that upscale gyms never showcased DJs.
    I know most folks workout to their own shit, but still.