DJ Spooky - turdmeister? (copyright-R)

Comments

• guarantee you that back in the early days of this board there would have been at bare minimum two or three posters here to defend his work

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    guarantee you that back in the early days of this board there would have been at bare minimum two or three posters here to defend his work

Sayin'

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    guarantee you that back in the early days of this board there would have been at bare minimum two or three posters here to defend his work

Stop picking on Oliver when he's not here to defend himself.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I guess I'm lucky, I never heard of spooky until this thread.

dukeofdelridge said:
    Things I'm proud to have avoided all my life:
    chain wallets

I see you've never been a skateboarder.

:necessary: :real_headz:

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    ost said:

Been skating for nearly 27 years and never owned a chain wallet... but seriously the only thing Spooky related I've heard is a mix he did for Trojan records and it's pretty piss poor (as is his attitude to getting caught out on this one).

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    ost said:

dukeofdelridge said:
    chain wallets

I'll take a f*cking baseball bat to your skull you piece of shit fuck you!

I'll have you know I'm the skateboarding equivalent of DJ Spooky. Or something!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Gibbo said:
    ost said:

Been skating for nearly 27 years and never owned a chain wallet... but seriously the only thing Spooky related I've heard is a mix he did for Trojan records and it's pretty piss poor (as is his attitude to getting caught out on this one).

A particularly chilling moment on this Board was when someone named him in a dub recommends thread

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    I just always assumed he was British.

You're off my Christmas card list for that.

:-P

Ninja Tune's take on this:

DJ Spooky is not and has never been signed to Ninja Tune. We are not responsible for what our own artists say online, let alone artists from other labels. Of course any communications by anyone containing prejudiced, bigoted or hateful language of any kind are utterly abhorrent to us and we will pursue all means available to ensure our name is not defamed in relation to this matter.

The Not In Our Name single was released to register our protest at the Iraq war of 2003 and the wider so-called war on terror where some respected estimates count the number of deaths at one million.

DJ Spooky sent us the Not In Our Name single and asked if we could help him release and promote it with the purpose of highlighting the horrors created by USA foreign policy. DJ Spooky released the single in America on his Synchronic label and we pressed and released a 12" from the UK, we deleted the release a long time ago. We did not procure the music, it was delivered to us and as with other releases we are not able to identify every alleged sample within the music submitted. If the single is available for sale it is being made so by Synchronic, not Ninja Tune.

When we were notified of the alleged sample in 2010 we sent statements to Mecha Music showing the loss the release incurred and directed them to DJ Spooky, we are sending all that communication to King Yoof today and are more than happy to discuss this matter with him in good faith we are sorry he is having this hassle . The release had a sales price but that in itself does not mean it made profit of course.

• batmon said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Sayin'

Name Withheld, You Owe Me said:
    No, but I saw DJ Spooky when he was first comming up and he was spending around bobbing his head like he was JMB. Not long after he started getting well know and a critic dissed him for trying to be like JMB. I don't know enough to care, but I thought it was funny that I thought "who's this JMB wanna be" and then when i asked him if he was a different DJ on the bill he said "no I'm Spooky". BTW he killed it with some crazy old reggae spead up beat juggle while the rodies were carying his coffin off stage. Dude just walked with them and kept juggling. ILL!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    DB_Cooper said:

IF THE SPUTTERING EXPERIMENTAL DOWNTEMPO SHOE FITS, BRO...

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    bassie said:

A particularly chilling moment on this Board was when someone named him in a dub recommends thread

He produces dub?

For the record it was a two disc mix of him cutting up tunes from the Trojan catalogue. There was no rhyme nor reason to the selection and the tunes would stop at random junctures to cue him cutting it up pretty haphazardly and backspinning like there was no tomorrow. No real blends to speak of and it lacked any discernible flow. I picked it up because they were selling off a bunch of Trojan reissues and mixes for dirt cheap. I know nothing about the guy other than whats been said in this thread (it actually reminded me about the terrible mix).

Horseleech said:

Name Withheld, You Owe Me said:
    BTW he killed it with some crazy old reggae spead up beat juggle while the rodies were carying his coffin off stage. Dude just walked with them and kept juggling. ILL!

Bet he was miming to a DJ Craze mix cd.

Killer Priest (sp?) from the Wu did a track with him that I remember liking BITD.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    DJ Spooky made the rounds in the artworld, there was a time when it seemed like every week there was at least one opening where he would be playing back in the early 00's. The art scene is prime territory for hacks of all sorts, but especially musical hacks, who don't need to do much beyond saying their shitty music is "art" in order to become a darling of gallery owners who want an extra draw to their openings. There are lots of shitty bands that do this and occasionally one of them breaks out, like Fischerspooner.

I remember hearing that Saul Williams song in 2003, but I don't remember hearing any of Spooky's actual releases. Dude seems like a poor man's Jace Clayton. Crazy that this guy has held onto this beef for so long, or maybe he only heard the song recently? Funny though that he's resurrected the name of a DJ who I thought had long faded into obscurity.

DB_Cooper said:
    Duderonomy said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Don't make me flex the Kersal Massive.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    Fischerspooner.

haha whoa!

electroclash flash in the pan

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    ost said:

dukeofdelridge said:
    chain wallets

I'll take a f*cking baseball bat to your skull you piece of shit fuck you!

I'll have you know I'm the skateboarding equivalent of DJ Spooky. Or something!

Haha! You forgot to warn me not to come to NY motherfuckin' C. :lol:

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    batmon said:
    So who was his demographic when he had more heat on him?
    Who repped him to get him his status?
    I recall inteviews in Muzik magazine BITD, and one friend speaking of him, but I never got submerged.

What's his claim to fame?

Dude has come to a couple of our art openings here at the Center.

As I recall, he got very little run amongst people one might describe as plugged-in. The ones most enthusiastically talking him up could be roughly divided into two groups; Johnny-come-lately rock critics who went from gushing all over Sonic Youth to writing thinkpieces for Spin about whether America was ready for "electronica", or the Simon Reynolds Mini-Me beardstrokers over at The Wire who thought "juxtaposition" and "recontextualisation" were the most exciting aspects of sampling.

FWIW, Scanner's cut from more or less the same cloth. He got the arse with Bjork for sampling a track off his Mass Observation album BITD and threatened to sue her, even though his entire shtick at that point was using a police scanner to record people's conversations (without their permission, of course) and slapping them on top of his off-the-peg ambient noodling.

Take-that-shit-to-The-Brits.com bonus beat; Scanner's real name is Robin Aspel, and he's the nephew of Michael Aspel.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I remember him being described as "illbient" (yes, gag) in the early 2000's. he may have come up with the term?

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    batmon said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Sayin'

Soul Strut a better place in 2013? This is heartening.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    I only remember him from the rawkus era - Kool Keith was on his album

• Duderonomy said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Duderonomy said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Don't make me flex the Kersal Massive.

you know dat. fock. peace.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Simon Reynolds Mini-Me beardstrokers over at The Wire who thought "juxtaposition" and "recontextualisation" were the most exciting aspects of sampling.

Ugh. That's pretty much what Spooky's own writing was like as well. He used to have a column in...I want to say URB, but now I'm not sure that's right. An URB-like magazine, at any rate, and it was exactly that kind of wanking. He would constantly name-drop Heidegger, but in ways that even a young philosophy student (which I was at the time) could recognize as being completely hollow and mostly made just so that people would say, "Oh, wow, he knows about Heidegger--he's so smart and esoteric!"

Which, come to think of it, is the exact same scam his music was: Wanking bullshit designed to fool artsy-fartsy dumbasses into playing it so that they too could be considered smart and esoteric.

"That Subliminal Kid." Please.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Never rode for Spooky.

• Whats it going to take to get a :hayek: up in here?

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    ="Name Withheld, You Owe Me" date="1122278805"]No, but I saw DJ Spooky when he was first comming up and he was spending around bobbing his head like he was JMB. Not long after he started getting well know and a critic dissed him for trying to be like JMB. I don't know enough to care, but I thought it was funny that I thought "who's this JMB wanna be" and then when i asked him if he was a different DJ on the bill he said "no I'm Spooky". BTW he killed it with some crazy old reggae spead up beat juggle while the rodies were carying his coffin off stage. Dude just walked with them and kept juggling. ILL!

Haha, ain't hard to figure out with google and quotation marks around said incriminating words....but who gives a shit...to each their own. It's not like he/she is vouching for the dude's biting.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    Simon Reynolds Mini-Me beardstrokers over at The Wire who thought "juxtaposition" and "recontextualisation" were the most exciting aspects of sampling.

Ugh. That's pretty much what Spooky's own writing was like as well. He used to have a column in...I want to say URB, but now I'm not sure that's right. An URB-like magazine, at any rate, and it was exactly that kind of wanking.
    Rap Pages, whoadie.

b/w

I DUG THROUGH MY ACCORDION FILES FOR THIS?!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    james said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Ugh. That's pretty much what Spooky's own writing was like as well. He used to have a column in...I want to say URB, but now I'm not sure that's right. An URB-like magazine, at any rate, and it was exactly that kind of wanking.
    Rap Pages, whoadie.

b/w

I DUG THROUGH MY ACCORDION FILES FOR THIS?!

Yup, that's the stuff. No shame in your game for posting it! Plenty of shame on Spooky for writing that garbage, though. "Abstrakt data flow." Fuck outta here.

He didn't sample those 32 bars, he was just "breaking the feedback loop that holds the past and present together, allowing the future to leak through."

I bet DJ Spooky is on Vynlst's board of directors.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    DJ Spooky truly is the definition of a poser. Hiding behind academic bullshit terminology (people who know what they're talking about can also express things clearly)and creating a ridiculous genre name like "Illbient" (isn't it the job of journalists to invent silly labels?). Everything in an effort to hide what's clear as day - he's completely talentless.

And I actually PAID for "Riddim warfare" bitd, on the strength of the guest artists. Big mistake.