Tragic Childhood Songs

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
Some good ones? Have we done this?

Ode To Billie Jo
Papa Was A Rolling Stone

I think we can skip Gypsy Tramps and Thieves, and any 60s car crash songs.

Comments

• Puff the Magic Dragon

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    When I was younger I always heard Kenny Rogers as singing: "You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille. Four hundred children and crops in the field."

Poor kids.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Papa Was A Rolling Stone.

Isnt this a kid repeating what his momma and them said...VS their own perspective?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    batmon said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Papa Was A Rolling Stone.

Isnt this a kid repeating what his momma and them said...VS their own perspective?

To me, first and foremost it is about a child who was abandoned by his father.
    Song starts with the fathers death.
    Perhaps the kid doesn't care about his dads death and is not effected by 'what his momma and them said'.
    But it doesn't read that way to me.

It was the third of September; that day I'll always remember,
    'Cause that was the day that my daddy died.
    I never got a chance to see him; never heard nothin' but bad things about him.
    Mama I'm depending on you to tell me the truth.

Mama just looked at me and said, "Son,
    Papa was a rollin' stone.
    Wherever he laid his head was his home.
    And when he died, all he left us was alone."

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Ode To Billie Joe
    b/w
    "Fancy"

Bobbie was on it, man.

"Luka," of course; Company Flow's "Last Good Sleep"; Max Romeo's "Evening News"; I guess I should have some regional bias toward Lou Rawlses's "Dead End Street," but that shit's pretty corny, honestly; perhaps Metallica's cover of "Turn The Page," just on the strength of its absolutely gut-wrenching video.

Oh, and "Dirty Boulevard." Rest in power, Lou Reed.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I always found "Patches" by Clarence Carter to be a sad childhood song. He sung it with such emotion, a real tearjerker.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• i dont remember a lot of stuff from my early childhood but i remember being in kindergarten and a choir singing 'one tin soldier' at a remembrance day assembly. a lot of people cried and i didn't fully understand. still don't to be honest.

James, yes, meant to say Fancy.

Perhaps her best song, people who don't know should check it.

Even thought the story turns my stomach.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    axe & rawls - loved boy

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    James, yes, meant to say Fancy.
    Well, I mean, "Ode To Billie Joe" is, in its way, a tragic childhood song, too.

I read some interview with Bobbie Gentry where she called it something like "a study in unconscious cruelty," about how the girl's family clearly knows that she and Billie Joe were close ("close"), but still can't be bothered themselves to invest any real concern in what's happened to him or how she might be feeling about it. As a result, when she grows up, she recounts their fates as flatly and as unemotionally as they did his. Kids pay closer attention than people think.

Incredible song, though. Like "Holding Back The Years" or "Tears On My Pillow," whenever I hear "Ode To Billie Joe" in a public place, everyone kinda slows down together to wait for it. It's lovely.

But yeah, as far as what we're talking about here, "Fancy" is definitely more direct.

de la - millie pulled a gat on santa

• I was pretty bummed when I found out what 'Ring Around the Rosy' was all about

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    james said:

I read some interview with Bobbie Gentry where she called it something like "a study in unconscious cruelty," about how the girl's family clearly knows that she and Billie Joe were close ("close"), but still can't be bothered themselves to invest any real concern in what's happened to him or how she might be feeling about it. As a result, when she grows up, she recounts their fates as flatly and as unemotionally as they did his. Kids pay closer attention than people think.

Yes.
    That you never really know why he did it and the family's indifference...their inability and/or unwillingness to connect and empathize with her. Hits a teenage girl's angrylonely nerve like I tell you what.

Strange Fruit
    Easy to be Hard

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    I was pretty bummed when I found out what 'Ring Around the Rosy' was all about

Not music related, except maybe for wizard prog rock bands, but death by oven in Hansel & Gretel / Baba Yaga is wrong in so many ways. I never could stomach tales of Christian martyrs enjoying agonizing demises, either. Jesus seemed like an awesome dude, but honestly, I would back off on the excessive preaching if it meant not being skinned or boiled alive. That's just me, though.

BONUS BEAT:

• I don't know if there's any "good ones" but Eek A Mouse usually represents strong on the subject..

"hey hey down inna the ghetto i grow
    where me say pain and tribulation all i know..
    mi mommy and mi daddy all a we so poor
    storm it come and it blow down mi door
    rain a pour through mi one window
    mi boots tear up and mi toes just a show..."

and that's even not getting into the father leaving, the brother dying and the older sister prostituting herself, getting pregnant and then leaving the baby, all of which surface throughout the discography.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    Puff the Magic Dragon

Freal.

Dragons live forever
    But not so, little boys...

:cry:

I had two (2) rekkids as a tot and it was that and "3 Little Fishes" (John "3rd. Doctor Who" Pertwee with t3h rap)

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    Was listening to this yesterday:

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    I knew Dolly would have something along these lines, I had no idea it would be so weird.

Actually there are probably a grip more Country songs relating a childs experience with alcoholism, abuse, abandonment etc..
    It isn't Country without cheatin' and beatin' but I think they are still just called love songs.

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    Cosign on Dolly. Here's another one...

JustAlice said:
    I knew Dolly would have something along these lines, I had no idea it would be so weird.

Actually there are probably a grip more Country songs relating a childs experience with alcoholism, abuse, abandonment etc..
    It isn't Country without cheatin' and beatin' but I think they are still just called love songs.

Thanks. Love Dolly, but I don't need to listen to that one again.
    There is a Dolly & Porter Wagner one that is very creepy. I'll try to find it.
    Coat Of Many Colors goes well with Story Of Isaac. Tragic childhood stories from the Bible.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Don't Ever Touch Me (Again) - Dionne Farris

• 7-year-old me got misty over this one when it came out... especially since it was miles away from the #1 sports anthem that preceded it on side 1 only a few songs before. The section at 1:43 still gives me chills.

Related to previous posts, this version does the business on 45:

• double dribble

I'm looking for that Dolly Porter song. Finding all kinds of tragic kid songs. Right now I'm listening to Letter To Heaven. Little girl writes to mommy in heaven, then gets hit by car when she goes to mail it.
    Also found Dolly and Porter singing Dark End Of The Street. Unfortunately they stink it up.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

I don't understand the lyrics, I think they're in Danish. Maybe it's only the imagery that's creepy about it but then it's supposedly sung by a adult vocalist which would also be kind of creepy.

My favorite tragic childhood song is this:

A true work of genius. The first memories of hearing this go back to my very earliest childhood and it's been played a lot on the local radio stations where I grew up. Year after year I understood a bit more about the lyrics which turned the song progressively more scary, tragic and beautiful.

This translation according to lyrics-translations.com is kindof shitty... I don't have the time right now to fix it but it should give you an idea:

Do not play with the grubby children

"Do not play with the grubby children, not singing their songs -
    Just go to the upper town, do as your brothers! "

So said the mother, the father said, taught the pastor -
    But it always crept back through the garden gate
    And in the rabbit hutches
    Where they played sixty-six
    To tobacco and rat skins
    Girls under skirts leered
    Where on old boards crates
    Cats dozing in the sun
    Where to when the rain poured
    Engelbert the idiots listening,
    The bite on a hair comb
    Pied Piper blew songs
    Evening at the family table, after prayer to the meal
    As it was said: "Again you smell rabbit hutch!

Do not play with the grubby children, not singing their songs -

They drove him to a school in the Upper Town -
    Combed her hair and curled Language smooth
    Bow hull and learned words
    And instead Pied ways
    He had to fiddle the Largo
    And before Aunt skinny old men
    Under red rat eyelashes
    Strum Par Coeur Kinderszenen
    And, jammed in rows of four
    Decayed and rotten bones scream -
    Situated between flags
    Roar, that keeps friendship!
    Sometimes in the evening he crept to the rabbit hutch which
    Then squatted since the urchins, sang mockingly:

In revenge he got rich. In the upper town
    Since he has built himself a house, took a bath every day
    Smelled like bess're people smell -
    Laughed fat, when all rats
    Anxiously avoided in the gullies
    Because they had smelled it
    Rabbit hutches and he tore
    From, their place he had
    Build gardens for the children
    Loved superscript women
    Fast cars and music -
    Blond and loud and thick honey
    Came his son, nails biters, late in the evening for supper
    Smelled it, it struck him, shouted: "stink rabbit hutch!

Do not play with the grubby children, not singing their songs -

And one day he missed a curve smooth -
    It has herausgepellt him from an egg of scrap
    When he later through the streets
    Limping, he was seen on days
    Blow on 'nem hair comb songs
    Rat wearing fur collar -
    Lagged behind bouncing children
    Would prevent them from school gear
    And ran to rabbit hutches -
    One day around Bright
    Has he a child infatuated
    And dragged into a stable
    His body was found in rats rumschwamm the pond -
    All around the urchins were blowing on the ridge:

• I always got sad as fuck when I heard the 3 songs below, which was a lot when I was a kid. I always imagined the protagonists as children, like me. I don't know if it was the constant haze of my parents dope smoke but the vivid imaginings and melancholy feelings related to these songs sticks with me today.......

• soulmarcosa said:
    7-year-old me got misty over this one when it came out... especially since it was miles away from the #1 sports anthem that preceded it on side 1 only a few songs before. The section at 1:43 still gives me chills.

yes

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Jim Ford's 'Harlan County'