Is it Wrong to Dig Vocalese?

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
Leon Thomas, Mel Torme, Mark Murphy, Jon Hendricks, Usrzula Dudziak, Karin Krog, Flora Purim, Novi SIngers, James Moody, King Pleasure, Singers Unlimited. Rimona Francis, Sheila Jordan etc, etc, etc..

I love all the aforementioned artists and more but if i ever play a vocalese thing for another person they just roll their eyes. I guess, i sort of understand that reaction, because i would have probably felt the same thing at some point in time. If you listen to it in a particular mode or mood it certainly has a cheese factor.

Questions:
-why is the genre so maligned?
-have I completely lost touch, am I just getting too old?
-Any other vocalese fans out there?
-please to post a vocalese track you dig

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I like.
    Lambert Hendricks Bavan/Ross at the top.

• crabmongerfunk said:
    Leon Thomas, Mel Torme, Mark Murphy, Jon Hendricks, Usrzula Dudziak, Karin Krog, Flora Purim, Novi SIngers, James Moody, King Pleasure, Singers Unlimited. Rimona Francis, Sheila Jordan etc, etc, etc..
    Questions:
    -why is the genre so maligned?
    It's not in my private mind garden! I bloody love vocalese (and on that note do you have BJ Ward's Vocal Ease lp? Not quite the same thing as you're talking about but it's beautiful, especially her version of Brian Wilson / Beach Boys 'I Wasn't made For These Times'.)
    It's not a maligned genre on VG+ either, lots of love for many you've named and you can add The Kings Singers to your list. Some great stuff from them too. If you're ever in the UK I could hook you up with loads of vocalese fans.

-have I completely lost touch, am I just getting too old?
    Probably getting old. Lost touch? Nope. You like what you like. Balls to everyone else.

-Any other vocalese fans out there?
    Me and a whole bunch of VG+ ers.

-please to post a vocalese track you dig
    - can't post any right now but I'll ve back with some clips tomorrow. Slightly better ( imho ) than the Novi singers are the Estonian band Collage. Some amazing stuff spread across their LPs. Ray Coniff and Singers have some nuggets buried across their catalogue. Kings Singers, Mike Sammes singers. Great call on Singers Unlimited BTW Have you heard their version of Jennifers Rabbit? It's sublime. A minir face- melter for me.

I'll be an annoying new best friend to you for a minute.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Does this count, or not accapella enough?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The triple og Eddie Jefferson...

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    big fan of the "jihad - soul and madness" lp if that counts? no youtube clips unfortunatly..
    aleke kanonu is also pretty sick.
    i sold all my novi singers records long ago but the track in the first post is rather nice.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Here they are finding the words to a Adderley tune.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    To answer the initial question: yes. It is wrong to dig Vocalese and you should feel bad.

That being said, here are a few of my faves:

thanks